Author Topic: Around the Globe in Real Time  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Hurricane Michael.....
« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
..... is a fish-storm!

Excellent choice, M!  :)

Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Taimyr

• Rishi
    • My photos
Re: Around the Globe in Real Time
« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
What is a fish-storm?

Online Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2012, 08:35:54 PM »
Let's hope so, as I wouldn't want to cause any human distress ... but there may be a sting in it tail. ;)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
What is a fish-storm?

It stays out to sea, without any predicted landfall.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »
Let's hope so, as I wouldn't want to cause any human distress ... but there may be a sting in it tail. ;)

You just calm down there, young man.

:)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »
There hadn't been a serious hurricane churning through the Gulf of Mexico since the BP Oil Spill, and sure enough, Hurricane Isaac a couple of weeks ago threw much oil onto the shore. Just like they feared.

There's a baddie, a Category 5, in the Western Pacific, heading for Okinawa and then S. Korea. Super Typhoon Sanba.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Online Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
That won't open for me.

But I do hear there is much more talk about Climate Change in the US these days.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
But I do hear there is much more talk about Climate Change in the US these days.

It's about the same as it ever was, from what I'm hearing.

The notoriously right-winged Rush Limbaugh accused "those weather extremists", the Weather Channel, of conspiring to sabotage the Republican Convention, by initially marking Isaac's path to run through the west coast of Florida. I just can't even describe how ignorant and insane such a charge was.  :o ::) ::) ::)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Australian Fire Twister
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yvBwRt7MwQQ/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yvBwRt7MwQQ"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yvBwRt7MwQQ?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yvBwRt7MwQQ?version=3</a>
~Hsin Hsin Ming

erik

« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
Fantastic spirits at play.

Online Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
Not something I'd like to see coming my way.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »
Not something I'd like to see coming my way.

You said it!  :o
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2012, 09:16:29 PM »

In terms of an Atlantic Cyclone track, this is a weird one.
(Is someone in Europe wishing for a hurricane?)

This should be "Oscar" by the end of the day.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:21:51 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2012, 05:21:53 PM »
I've been remiss in reporting the global disasters in recent months, but I stumbled upon this one tonight and it seemed pertinent:

7.7 Magnitude quake in the Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia.
With tsunami warnings.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Sinkholes in Florida
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:43 AM »
There was recently a horrifying event in Florida, wherein a bedroom of a Florida home sunk into the ground, while the man was in it. They could not rescue the man and they had to raze the entire house to the ground. Another sinkhole also did damage in the same general region, a day or so later. So curiosity brought me to look up sinkholes, which rate "#2" in my list of most-dreaded phenomena.

Apparently Florida is prone to them, but I had never heard this before. Why "now" is a very interesting question, probably to do with inundated water tables in the eastern US.

This from the Florida Geological Survey:

Sinkholes

Sinkholes are a common feature of Florida's landscape. They are only one of many kinds of karst landforms, which include caves, disappearing streams, springs, and underground drainage systems, all of which occur in Florida. Karst is a generic term which refers to the characteristic terrain produced by erosional processes associated with the chemical weathering and dissolution of limestone or dolomite, the two most common carbonate rocks in Florida. Dissolution of carbonate rocks begins when they are exposed to acidic water. Most rainwater is slightly acidic and usually becomes more acidic as it moves through decaying plant debris.

Limestones in Florida are porous, allowing the acidic water to percolate through their strata, dissolving some limestone and carrying it away in solution. Over eons of time, this persistent erosional process has created extensive underground voids and drainage systems in much of the carbonate rocks throughout the state. Collapse of overlying sediments into the underground cavities produces sinkholes.

When groundwater discharges from an underground drainage system, it is a spring, such as Wakulla Springs, Silver Springs, or Rainbow Springs. Sinkholes can occur in the beds of streams, sometimes taking all of the stream's flow, creating a disappearing stream. Dry caves are parts of karst drainage systems that are above the water table, such as Marianna Caverns.

Other subterranean events can cause holes, depressions or subsidence of the land surface that may mimic sinkhole activity.  These include subsurface expansive clay or organic layers which compress as water is removed,  collapsed or broken sewer and drain pipes or broken septic tanks, improperly compacted soil after excavation work, and even buried trash, logs and other debris.  Often a depression is not verified by a licensed professional geologist or engineer to be a true sinkhole, and the cause of subsidence is not known.  Such events are called subsidence incidents.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/geologictopics/sinkhole.htm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:39:43 AM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk