Author Topic: Medical Marijuana  (Read 269 times)

Ke-ke wan

Medical Marijuana
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:45:25 AM »
The American Medical Assn. on Tuesday urged the federal government to reconsider its classification of marijuana as a dangerous drug with no accepted medical use, a significant shift that puts the prestigious group behind calls for more research.

The nation's largest physicians organization, with about 250,000 member doctors, the AMA has maintained since 1997 that marijuana should remain a Schedule I controlled substance, the most restrictive category, which also includes heroin and LSD.

In changing its policy, the group said its goal was to clear the way to conduct clinical research, develop cannabis-based medicines and devise alternative ways to deliver the drug.

"Despite more than 30 years of clinical research, only a small number of randomized, controlled trials have been conducted on smoked cannabis," said Dr. Edward Langston, an AMA board member, noting that the limited number of studies was "insufficient to satisfy the current standards for a prescription drug product."

The decision by the organization's delegates at a meeting in Houston marks another step in the evolving view of marijuana, which an AMA report notes was once linked by the federal government to homicidal mania. Since California voters approved the use of medical marijuana in 1996, marijuana has moved steadily into the cultural mainstream spurred by the growing awareness that it can have beneficial effects for some chronically ill people.

This year, the Obama administration sped up that drift when it ordered federal narcotics agents not to arrest medical marijuana users and providers who follow state laws. Polls show broadening support for marijuana legalization.

Thirteen states allow the use of medical marijuana, and about a dozen more have considered it this year.

The AMA, however, also adopted as part of its new policy a sentence that admonishes: "This should not be viewed as an endorsement of state-based medical cannabis programs, the legalization of marijuana, or that scientific evidence on the therapeutic use of cannabis meets the current standards for a prescription drug product."

The association also rejected a proposal to issue a more forceful call for marijuana to be rescheduled.

Nevertheless, marijuana advocates welcomed the development. "They're clearly taking an open-minded stance and acknowledging that the evidence warrants a review. That is very big," said Bruce Mirken, a spokesman for the Marijuana Policy Project. "It's not surprising that they are moving cautiously and one step at a time, but this is still a very significant change."

Advocates also noted that the AMA rejected an amendment that they said would have undercut the medical marijuana movement. The measure would have made it AMA's policy that "smoking is an inherently unsafe delivery method for any therapeutic agent, and therefore smoked marijuana should not be recommended for medical use."

Dr. Michael M. Miller, a psychiatrist who practices addiction medicine, proposed the amendment. "Smoking is a bad delivery system because you're combusting something and inhaling it," he said.

Reaction from the federal government was muted.

Dawn Dearden with the Drug Enforcement Administration said: "At this point, it's still a Schedule I drug, and we're going to treat it as such." The Food and Drug Administration declined to comment.

In a statement, the office of the White House drug czar reiterated the administration's opposition to legalization and said that it would defer to "the FDA's judgment that the raw marijuana plant cannot meet the standards for identity, strength, quality, purity, packaging and labeling required of medicine."

The DEA classifies drugs into five schedules, with the fifth being the least-restrictive. Schedule II drugs, such as cocaine and morphine, are considered to have a high potential for abuse, but also to have accepted medical uses.

Several petitions have been filed to reschedule marijuana. The first, filed in 1972, bounced back and forth between the DEA and the courts until it died in 1994. A petition filed in 2002 is under consideration.

Kris Hermes, a spokesman for Americans for Safe Access, said that advocates hoped the petition would receive more attention. "Given the change of heart by the AMA, there is every opportunity for the Obama administration to do just that," he said.

In a report released with its new policy, the AMA notes that the organization was "virtually alone" in opposing the first federal restrictions on marijuana, which were adopted in 1937. Cannabis had been used in various medicinal products for years, but fell into disuse in the early 20th century.

Sunil Aggarwal, a medical student at the University of Washington, helped spark the AMA's reconsideration after he researched marijuana's effect on 186 chronically ill patients. "I had reason to believe that there was medical good that could come from these products, and I wanted to see AMA policy reflect that," he said.

The AMA is not the only major doctors organization to rethink marijuana. Last year, the American College of Physicians, the second-largest physician group, called for "rigorous scientific evaluation of the potential therapeutic benefits of medical marijuana" and an "evidence-based review of marijuana's status as a Schedule I controlled substance."

Last month, the California Medical Assn. passed resolutions that declared the criminalization of marijuana "a failed public health policy" and called on the organization to take part in the debate on changing current policy.

john.hoeffel@latimes.com

Ke-ke wan

Re: Medical Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »

In a Costa Rican study, it was found that chronic marijuana smokers who also smoked cigarettes were less likely to develop cancer than cigarette smokers who didn’t use marijuana. Since marijuana (smoking, as well as ingestion by other methods) dilates the alveoli, toxins are more easily eliminated with cannabis use regardless of its method of application. Nicotine, on the other hand, constricts the alveoli, so it is likely that the use of cannabis neutralizes, or even overwhelms the constriction, by its own tendency to dilation .

As an aid for all psychosomatic disease, marijuana can benefit the participant, generally because of its health-restoring effects... The fear of marijuana... stems from its limitless potential for treating illness, in that both the pharmaceutical industry and the medical monopoly would lose billions of dollars if marijuana became the non-drug of choice.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
I have a good friend who has a medical marijuana license. He is paralized from the chest down and it's given him much comfort from muscle spaz, over all pain and helped with eating. also...emotional ease...

Good medicine. :)
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »

Good medicine. :)

Yes!  I know quite a few people that take it medicinally for various ailments.    They swear by it.

Clinical research published in a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research showing that marijuana's components can inhibit the growth of cancerous brain tumours is the latest in a long line of studies demonstrating the drug's potential as an anti-cancer agent.

This latest study, performed by researchers at Madrid's Complutense University, found that cannabis restricts the blood supply to glioblastoma multiforme tumours, an aggressive brain tumour that kills some 7,000 people in the United States every year.

But despite the value of such findings both in terms of the treatment of life-threatening illnesses and as news, U.S. media coverage has been almost non-existent.

Why the blackout? Not one such study has been acknowledged by the U.S. government.

This wasn't always the case. In fact, the first experiment documenting pot's anti-tumour effects took place in 1974 at the Medical College of Virginia at the behest of the U.S. government.

It showed that marijuana's psychoactive component, THC, "slowed the growth of lung cancers, breast cancers and a virus-induced leukemia in laboratory mice and prolonged their lives by as much as 36 per cent."

Despite these favourable preliminary findings, U.S. government officials refused to fund any follow-up research for two decades, until it conducted a similar - though secret - clinical trial in the mid-1990s.

That study, carried out by the U.S. National Toxicology Program, concluded that mice and rats administered high doses of THC over long periods had greater protection against malignant tumours than untreated controls.

Rather than publicize these findings, government researchers shelved the results, which only became public after a draft copy of the findings were leaked in 1997 to a medical journal that in turn forwarded the story to the national media.

However, in the eight years since then, the U.S. government has yet to fund a single additional study examining the drug's potential anti-cancer properties.

Is this a case of federal bureaucrats valuing politics more than the health and safety of patients? You be the judge.

Fortunately, scientists overseas have generously picked up where U.S. researchers so abruptly left off.

This month, researchers at the University of Milan in Italy, reported that marijuana's constituents inhibit the spread of brain cancer in human tumour biopsies from patients failed by standard cancer therapies.

Last year, the same researchers reported in the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics that non-psychoactive compounds in marijuana inhibited the growth of glioma cells in a dose-dependent manner and selectively targeted and killed malignant cells, stimulating them to "commit suicide" in a natural process called apoptosis.

In 2000, a research team at Complutense's department of biochemistry and molecular biology reported in the journal Nature Medicine that injections of synthetic THC eradicated malignant gliomas (brain tumours) in one-third of treated rats.

The study was undertaken after the discovery in 1998 that THC can selectively induce apoptosis in brain tumour cells without negatively affecting the surrounding healthy cells.

Jahn

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:02:49 AM »

I was an addicted for many years and had many good experiences with haschish, later marijuana. However, the accumulation of THC (tetrahydrocannabiol) is especially concentrated to the brain and can give non wanted effects after long term use.

I would not say no to a less restricted authority holding to cannabis but I cannot say it is not harmful as many young people and old hippies tend to believe.

In fact THC is a mind altering drug that very easy can send you into 2nd attention. therefore sayings like: "I got stoned but I missed it" is quite relevant. This because to remember the experiences as stoned, you have to be stoned  ;D

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »
I was an addicted for many years and had many good experiences with haschish, later marijuana. However, the accumulation of THC (tetrahydrocannabiol) is especially concentrated to the brain and can give non wanted effects after long term use.

I would not say no to a less restricted authority holding to cannabis but I cannot say it is not harmful as many young people and old hippies tend to believe.

In fact THC is a mind altering drug that very easy can send you into 2nd attention. therefore sayings like: "I got stoned but I missed it" is quite relevant. This because to remember the experiences as stoned, you have to be stoned  ;D

I dare say that using it medicinally is not quite the same as using it to get stoned,  or as being addicted.

Jahn

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:01:25 AM »
I dare say that using it medicinally is not quite the same as using it to get stoned, 

Then what is the point?

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »

Neuron growth
In contrast to the suppressing effects of other social drugs as alcohol, heroin, cocaine and nicotine in the growth of new neuron cells, marijuana has been found to promote the growth of new neuron cells in rat’s hippocampi  as reported by researchers from the Neuropsychiatry Research Unit at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada. “Although this is found in animals, but we surely cannot dismiss the fact that it may hold true in humans”, the researchers said.

Then what is the point?

So it seems that marijuana is well into becoming a miracle plant as shown by its seemingly endless medical benefits.  However, some of those studies are still far from being strongly conclusive, but it appears that this highly controversial plant will soon revolutionized medical science. As the common information would tell us, excessive use of marijuana for social and recreation purposes can really put the user into social and  cognitive health – related troubles, thus the prohibition by the concerned authority. Professional prescription is absolutely imperative if one considers marijuana for health gain.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:57:26 AM by Soulchild »

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »
Brain cancer
Just this April 2009, a study held at the Complutense University in Madrid found that the canabinnoids promotes the death of brain cancer cells in mice with human brain cancer cells.  Researchers discovered that when the mice with human brain cancer cells receives THC, the tumor shrank significantly. And when they analyzed the brain tissue taken before and after a 30 – day THC treatment, researchers have found that the living healthy cells remain intact, while allowing the patient free from any toxic effects from the THC treatment;  it was also learned that THC treatment as a form of therapy can be well tolerated.

HIV/AIDS
HIV/AIDS patients suffer from losing appetite, but a recent study done by investigators at Columbia University has shown that HIV/AIDS patients who were allowed to inhale cannabis four times daily revealed a significant increase in their food intake with less associated discomfort or impairment of cognitive performance. On the other hand, a group of researchers from the school of medicine of the University of California, San Diego ,discovered that smoking marijuana significantly reduces HIV-related pain, making marijuana a desirable addition to a patient’s already – prescribed pain management regimen.

Lung Cancer
Researchers at Harvard University, who tested THC in both lab and mouse studies have found that THC  amazingly reduced tumor growth in common lung cancer by 50 percent, thus reducing the ability of the cancer to spread out. Grounded on that information, they hypothesized that THC can be used to treat lung cancer in humans. In addition,  a separate study done by Dr. Donald Tashkin of the University of California, Los Angeles, found that in great contrast to smoking tobacco, smoking marijuana does not pose to increase the risk of lung cancer or head -and-neck malignancies, even among heavy users.

Alzheimer’s disease  
 A research done by the Scripps Research Institute in California have shown that an active ingredient called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) ,may prevent the formation of the enzyme called acetylcholinesterase  that accelerates the formation of Alzheimer’s Plaques, even much faster that what is accomplished by commercially available drugs. And as reported by Molecular Pharmaceutics,THC is more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit the memory and cognition of people suffering from Alzheimer’s.

Breast Cancer
A compound found in cannabis may stop breast cancer cells from spreading throughout the body according to a study done by a group of scientists at the California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute.  They are optimistic that  their study will provide a non-toxic replacement to chemotherapy while achieving the same results without the agony of pain and the worry of ill-side effects. Researchers believe that metastasis, a process believed to be responsible of the aggressive spreading of tumor cells, is effectively block by the chemical found in marijuana called cannabidiol or CBD

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »
I have a friend, a woman now 89, who has smoked marijuana for years. She has surprising levels of awareness, health and competence for her age. Hates to be thought of as old or associated with 'old people'. She does have ADD which she blames for everything.

She is old of course, but I would be well pleased to have her general capacities at her age. Can't say the mj has helped, but I have often wondered.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
The fear of marijuana... stems from its limitless potential for treating illness, in that both the pharmaceutical industry and the medical monopoly would lose billions of dollars if marijuana became the non-drug of choice.
Now ... if the US government would get out of bed with the pharmaceutical industry, they might realize they could actually make some money off this situation. And maybe Help people as well ... what a novel idea ;)

Health Sciences Quest - Medical Marijuana ... a 'strong buy' today.

Hmmm ... just thinking ... could move to Montana and opening a 'medicinal' bakery. ;)

Toast lightly, fold gently into batter and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. ;D
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:46:42 AM »
Now ... if the US government would get out of bed with the pharmaceutical industry, they might realize they could actually make some money off this situation. And maybe Help people as well ... what a novel idea ;)

Probably best if the governments stay out of this altogether!

Jahn

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:48:46 AM »
If all these good qualities then I do not need to worry so much about my 7 year exposure then. Boy, did we smoke!

Memory lane.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:52:40 AM by Jamir »

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 02:34:45 PM »
If all these good qualities then I do not need to worry so much about my 7 year exposure then. Boy, did we smoke!

But the question is....

Did you inhale?   ;)

Jahn

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 05:15:57 AM »
But the question is....

Did you inhale?   ;)

Didn't Senator Obama got that question when he was running for president?

If I remember it right he said "of course, that is the whole point"  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk