Author Topic: Photobucket Issues  (Read 137 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Photobucket Issues
« on: January 07, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
Like other folk here, I use Photobucket, but recently they've made some changes that will make it unpleasant, if not difficult, to continue.

1.) They've added a LOT of pop-up ads, but they aren't the usual pop-up ads, which appear in a separate window. These new ones 'drape' over your page, and there doesn't seem any way to get around it. Time-consuming it is waiting for their downloads so that one can even find the "Close" button.. What used to take 2 minutes there now takes 10 and 15 minutes.

(~They want us to upgrade to "Pro", for $$.  This happened at Delphi too, before they required "upgrades": they started using the most obnoxious ads in the world, like those seizure-inducing flashers.)

2. **Relevant to us here who post pictures**
They've made some new requirement, that one must log in every 90 days, or else what one has uploaded to their site goes "inactive".  (I keep running into a lot of posts with "Inactive" pictures here.) I don't know what they require in this case, but I sure hope it isn't that now one has to pay in order to get one's pics back online.  :-\

It could be that all one has to do is log back into one's account, though I couldn't get in at all to a second account I have there. May you be luckier.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:15:25 PM by Nichi »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Photobucket Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »
I'm also a little unhappy with them because they removed the following picture for being "obscene". Hmph.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:13:23 PM »
I noticed Im one of the 90 day non visitors with inactive boxes replacing my photos.. Ill see if I can log in and let you know.
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
At the moment it says Im not using the correct password.. Ill have to dig out my records and be sure.. but Im pretty sure I remember what I used, and its not letting me in.
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:51:37 AM »
I really hope photobucket doesnt go to the dogs. Ive liked them and have lots of my images uploaded. I can understand if they have a lot of 'dead' accounts but still, I guess I better just make sure to log in every 90 days.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:23:46 AM »
At the moment it says Im not using the correct password.. Ill have to dig out my records and be sure.. but Im pretty sure I remember what I used, and its not letting me in.

That's what happened with my second account too.  There were only 2 possibilities for the password: neither worked.
I have pictures posted here from that account -- in fact, that's why I set up that account, to use here. I can't remember where they might be in here, though, so I guess I'll stumble into them as I go.

I do have another account which has been "active", so I'm not going to pursue the 2nd account with them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:30:13 AM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »
These days there are so many other options for photo storage besides Photobucket.

I use Zorpia,  have had an account there for years,  never a problem.  Though Zorpia does have a lot of garbage added to the site now,  dating,  chat and what have you.   Kind of irritating! 

And xs.to is great.  You  don't even need an account if you don`t feel like signing up-- you can just upload pic-by-pic.   

But also that's one of the beauties of Facebook,  unlimited photo storage and all in one spot!

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:50:29 PM »
Ive been using facebook storage lately myself.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:33:22 AM »

Hunh, if this pic stays, seems you can remote link from FB -- though culling that url was pain in the buttsky with IE.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Jahn

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 06:49:30 AM »

I use Zorpia,  have had an account there for years,  never a problem.  Though Zorpia does have a lot of garbage added to the site now,  dating,  chat and what have you.   Kind of irritating! 

Tell me. Being a male caucasian living in "Stockholm" I get dozen of invitations each months from spam sites that use faked Asian girls and you name it to be friends with me.

Like these authentic quotes:

"Natasha has sent you a private message
at Fri, 12 Sep 2008 9:52 AM."

"blessing has sent you a private message
at Mon, 08 Sep 2008 6:14 AM."

And these messages goes only in one direction, sigh ...

"Dear Jahn,
Maria Teresa Clicked YES On You In Match Up!

"Rose clicked "YES" on you. Are you interested? " etc

"Dear Jahn,
danilla commented on your guestbook "

AND I even don't have a guestbook. Well I probably have automatically but anyway. :P

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:52:42 AM by Jamir »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:12:29 AM »
I've got Zorpia spam too -- luckily, it kicks to the Spam folder, but it is relentless.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
My my what a torrid tale of woe.

All about getting something for free I suppose.

For those who don't have their own server, this must be a constant hassle.
I am interested because I am about to help out some community history groups who will use my database. They need to park their photos on a server somewhere which they will then link to the online database.

I was going to recommend Photobucket or Flicker. But now I'm not so sure, never having used these places myself.

They can pay, although they never have a lot of money, so I am looking for a safe and reasonably priced online storage for their photos. Safe is critical - they would keep the print-sized originals I expect, but they won't be up to fiddling like you guys are, and losing access or control. They aren't usually savvy about such things.

Any suggestions?

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 08:59:57 PM »
My my what a torrid tale of woe.

:D

(Don't have any suggestions beyond what folks have posted.)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Jahn

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 05:29:22 AM »
I was going to recommend Photobucket or Flicker. But now I'm not so sure, never having used these places myself.

Any suggestions?

Flicker has this problem with the photos as we have seen. At least when one does choose the option private the large images will not be accessable with a complete url. Zorpia has after all good and large quality of whatever one store there but as you see it is a lot of disturbing activities around.

Perhaps I shall change my profile to something less attractive. Like 78 year old man living in a cave in Nepal.

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »
As someone once said you can't have everything (for free)!

If you only want image hosting then http://imgur.com could be a good choice.

Accounts is one of the newest things they have.

Here's a comparison of the standard (free) and pro account: http://imgur.com/register/upgrade
The pro account $3/month is quite a deal to have unlimited photos and bandwidth.

I'm not using them myself as a service, but I find that it just works. It also has very short urls, which makes it comfortable to work with.

example:
http://i.imgur.com/LhROr.jpg
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:45:02 AM by ® »
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk