Author Topic: Deepwater Horizon  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Deepwater Horizon
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2010, 04:23:23 AM »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2010, 12:01:34 AM »
Florida Oil Spill Law

Every day, she has new articles and video-interviews with people (from local citizens to fishermen to BP workers to scientists) who have been bullied to "shut up", by US Fish and Wildlife, BP, Homeland Security, etc. So if you are interested in the anatomy of a cover-up, this site is a good one.

The facts are coming out more and more about the impact on Florida - the one area they proclaimed was not affected.

Among today's entries is a video with an A & M University scientist, who was on the Gulf doing a couple of studies per the dispersant - Their boat was boarded by Homeland Security and all their data and notes were confiscated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A disturbing phenomenon is that many of the videos to which I've posted links here have been taken down. One wonders if the removals were coerced or voluntary. Especially fascinating was that the video of the newsman in Florida who was confronted by US Fish & Wildlife, who told the newsman a couple of shameless lies right in front of the camera, was taken down. That video was damning for sure.

Long story short, the oil keeps appearing, the critters keep showing up paralyzed, ill, or dead, human body parts have been reported washing up, they keep spraying the dispersant, and folks are sick -- and given the possibly-carcinogenic nature of the chemicals, possibly sick in the long-term.

But "everything's okay."
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:50 AM »
A beautifully-written article which is too long to c and p here:

The Gulf Between Us

There is an image or two therein which chilled me to the bone, but I promised to not get too gruesome here.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »
<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b3H9V_kCrMY/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b3H9V_kCrMY"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3H9V_kCrMY?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b3H9V_kCrMY?fs=1</a>

".....embarassed to be an american....."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:05:03 AM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »
This event is oddly enough not making the waves it should. I do think it has caused Obama to lose the support of a small group of knowledgeable and progressive people. They are not a vote-sensitive demographic, but I feel their influence is indirectly quite potent.

I can only assume it is an example of the power of oil in the US - it is a national security issue, as well as belonging to the top of big business. I am unaware of any politician of influence who has spoken out about this outrageous cover-up.

Shows who is really running things, and why conspiracies are so rampant.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:17 AM »
This event is oddly enough not making the waves it should. I do think it has caused Obama to lose the support of a small group of knowledgeable and progressive people. They are not a vote-sensitive demographic, but I feel their influence is indirectly quite potent.

I can only assume it is an example of the power of oil in the US - it is a national security issue, as well as belonging to the top of big business. I am unaware of any politician of influence who has spoken out about this outrageous cover-up.

Shows who is really running things, and why conspiracies are so rampant.

BP has quite the bullying and intimidation-campaign going - I speculate that that is what's behind the immensity of the matter not reaching the public.

The moment Obama took that dip in Pensacola, he lost all credibility with me forever.

The only place one can get the truth is in the works of the grassroots, citizen-journalists. The format is not as polished, but the substance is clear.

Enough are coming forward now, including the scientists, that the force of them will be undeniable. And yes, Obama won't get re-elected --- as he very well shouldn't.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
I'm still waiting to hear more about the alleged "stall" of the Loop Current ... the ramifications of that reaches far more than the Gulf (the sacrificial lamb).

We have one last hurricane on tap, Richard, and I'm fascinated to see if it goes into the Loop Current at all. The others have just weirdly veered around it.  I read just yesterday a boat captain's observation that when he's on the water, it's palpable: the Gulf isn't moving - it's dead.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »
And yes, Obama won't get re-elected --- as he very well shouldn't.

This was the same problem we had here in Aust. Kevin Rudd came in to power with a landslide of hopes and expectations for change, which almost all failed to materialise.

The Right reclaimed much of their party support base through the usual bullshitting and lunatic ravings. The intelligent voters were left with a real problem: they were completely disillusioned with Rudd, yet the last thing they wanted was a return to the Right parties.

The problem was that although Rudd had failed to deliver on expectations of change, he had at least brought in sensible and responsible management of a host of small government matters. You did feel that the lunatics were no longer in charge. What was disappointing was that on the major issues, he had been indecisive and lacking courage.

This left them with a choice - vote for those who promised to do a lot and delivered little, or the those who were promising to do nothing and hand control of the prison back to the criminals.

What we also knew was that Rudd himself knew this - that although he lost support of the progressives, they would never vote for the opposition. What they did was to shift to the Greens.

But this was a strategic mistake. He thought he had to win across the 'middle' ground of voters who could swing either way, but instead he lost integrity, and even the middle ground admire courage and integrity, even if they don't quite agree.

Strength of conviction and willingness to fight for it, are qualities all people admire - it is a winning posture. Dissembling and fumbling, despite words of principle, are soon sniffed out and rejected by the voters.

The problem, however, remains: George Bush came across as a strong conviction leader who knew how to upset people and go for what he believed in. The intelligent voter has a choice - disappointment or total catastrophe.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:48 PM »
Obama went beyond "dissembling and fumbling", though. He moved into outright lies - destructive ones. Perhaps he had poor counsel, but what kind of counsel he has is ultimately his choice too.

As to what happens next, heaven knows. Hopefully, his party will come up with another candidate, and the country won't be at the mercy of "the right".
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »
Though I'm inclined to believe that the whole mess is a wash. The die is cast.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
They may, but he is probably better than his party. It is quite likely he has not pushed for honesty precisely because of pressure from within his party.

I feel these days, we have to acknowledge that those of us who seek for qualities like honesty, compassion, wellbeing for all creatures on this planet, such that we can all achieve our greatest potential ... and so on ... we are in a very small minority.

The majority either are out for their own interest, or they simply don't give a shit.

And unfortunately that is how the universe is set up.

The big question, is are we personally going to give up seeking such qualities, and join the majority?

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
The big question, is are we personally going to give up seeking such qualities, and join the majority?

Can't imagine joining the majority .. it would be like stepping off the path.  Mostly impossible. Can only speak for me, though.

~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »
Before reading this, it should be driven home that the standards of safety were recently relaxed - some say in an effort to relieve BP of its possible culpability.

NOAA Official Asks EINNEWS to Withdraw Story Questioning Safety of Gulf Seafood

Nov. 5, 2010 /EIN Presswire/ - A U.S. government spokesperson reacted sharply today to an EIN news story questioning the safety of gulf seafood, saying "the veracity of the federal government seafood safety protocol or results are not in question by any qualified scientist." EINNEWS said it stands by its story.

The official, Christine Patrick, the lead public affairs officer for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, demanded that EINNEWS withdraw its story.

NOAA and the Federal Food and Drug Administration earlier this week issued a joint statement giving the "all clear" to the consumption of Gulf of Mexico seafood.

The agencies based their approval on what they said were tests on 1,735 tissue samples including more than half of those collected to reopen Gulf of Mexico federal waters.

The agencies said only a few showed trace amounts of dispersants residue (13 of the 1,735) and they were well below the safety threshold of 100 parts per million for finfish and 500 parts per million for shrimp, crabs and oysters. The test detects dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate, known as DOSS, a major component of the dispersants used in the Gulf.

But contrary to Ms Patrick's claim that "the results are not in question by any qualified scientist," the scientific community has expressed concerns that the federal government has been too quick to help the Gulf fishery get back on its feet after the massive BP oil spill.

The DOSS safety "threshold" itself is controversial among scientists and represents a compromise with many authorities who believe it should be higher.

The Environmental Protection Agency asked BP to stop using the dispersant Corexit 9527's because of short and long term concerns about its toxicity. Following the Exxon Valdez disaster, Corexit 9527 was associated with severe health problems suffered by thousands of clean up workers.

The dispersants are known to kill incubating sea life.In humans, long-term exposure can cause central nervous system problems or damage blood, kidneys or livers, according to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention. Following the Exxon Valdez disaster, Corexit 9527 was associated with severe health problems suffered by thousands of clean up workers.

Despite the EPA's concerns, Corexit 9527 was used until supplies ran out, and then was replaced with Corexit 9500. Both are products of Nalco Energy Services LP, whose board of directors is made up of former and current BP, Exxon, Monsanto and Lockheed executives. Nalco is a corporate affiliate of BP.

The FDA-NOAA statement made no mention of tests for PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons). These are cancer-causing chemicals in crude oil and can be taken in through fish and shellfish.

A recent assessment of long term effects of the Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska's Prince William Sound concluded that that chemically dispersed oil was far more toxic than physically dispersed oil and that PAH in the water column was the primary cause.

The FDA-NOAA statement also failed to discuss the heavy metals found in oil itself. Heavy metals are trace contaminants in the crude oil, but they bioaccumulate up the food chain. Larger, predator fish could potentially pick up a significant amount of heavy metals from the oil contaminants, and mercury and lead are toxic to the brain and nervous system.

Many scientists are concerned that levels of some of these chemicals will increase through the food chain over time, resulting in worse problems with food safety several years from now.

Based on available literature EINNEWS supports its original story, will not withdraw it, and invites members of the scientific community to offer their opinions.

http://www.einnews.com/pr-news/215998-noaa-official-asks-einnews-to-withdraw-story-questioning-safety-of-gulf-seafood
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2010, 01:50:58 AM »
I had a hope that the Gulf stories would come more to the fore and the center following the elections, but it seems not to be the case. Even the "liberals" don't seem to be that interested. Obama has pushed forward with other plans and issues, one of which seems to be the robbing of Social Security - more bad news for me.  And now, everything he says is coated in oily toxicity, to me. I am gravely disappointed, to say the least - in him and in the media who cow-towed to the pressure.

Meanwhile, the disaster is compounded daily. There are still tarballs, plumes, human sickness, animal deaths, cover-ups, and grim forecasts for the future of the Gulf - the economy AND the life. 

Add vultures to the list -
http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/vultures-being-found-floating-biscayne-bay-man-picked-10-birds

~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »
I feel like a small, naive child: "don't they care?"
But I assume the deadpan in short enough shrift.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk