Author Topic: Herbie Hancock: River, the Joni Letters  (Read 25 times)

Online Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Herbie Hancock: River, the Joni Letters
« on: July 10, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
Someone gave us this, and I have just finished giving it a good listen.

Joni Mitchell fans will love it, as it mainly features her music - she sings and there is even a great track with Leonard Cohen reciting one of Joni's poems (I think it's hers) - The Jungle Lines.

It is fine sophisticated jazz, with a touch of colour coming from Joni. If this is your kind of scene, then go and listen to it, because it is a very good CD.

However I do have some problems with this kind of music generally, and I find some types of jazz really go for it. It is the silky smooth sophisticated sound, and not just the playing but the recording style - heavily compressed to give a smoothness and ease on the ear.

The problem with perfection, as some famous person said once, is that it's apt to be a tad boring. That is how I feel about too highly refined recordings of music. But it goes further than this. When all the sounds blend in so smoothly, I feel like I am under a pall, from which I am unable to rip through. Like I am asleep in a beautiful dream that is irritating me because I want awakened reality.

This is why I like my house in winter - you can still feel the cold - we don't use those full-house heating systems. There are places which are hotter, and others which are colder. I like reality to break through with a rawness that gabs at me. Thus in my own recordings I like sounds to jump out, and then fade away quietly. I like to feel the skin of the sounds rasping at my flesh.

So that is my primary complaint - I felt like I was being patted to sleep. No sharp edges - no surprised, nothing to grab me and hold me. But extremely beautiful nonetheless. I think the best bit was LC's rendition - the words were great.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:46:04 AM by Michael »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Herbie Hancock: River, the Joni Letters
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:58:58 PM »
I've heard some of this one, and I see what you mean about the recording studio slickness.  I didn't hear the cut of LC reciting, though - that must be fascinating!

(JM rather lost me with her emulations/homages of Mingus, so much of her jazz phase is unknown to me.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:35:58 AM by Nichi »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk