Author Topic: Greek Yogurt  (Read 150 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Greek Yogurt
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »
Someone picked some up for me. I wanted "plain", to use in the tzatziki (sp?) sauce I planned to make. The person picked up vanilla Greek yogurt instead, but I have to tell you - WOW it's delicious. It's creamy, it coated my innards, it was yummy. So superior to the mass-produced brands on the US grocery stands. I have high hopes for it to be working its yogurt-magic internally.

Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: Greek Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »
Last year we heard a radio program about a woman who's PhD was on the benefits of yoghurt.
She found definite positive results from yoghurt and specified certain conditions they had a marked influence on. She also said that one particular yoghurt here in the Australia was the best because it had all three bacteria that can be added to the culture. Most yoghurts have only one or two acidophilus, although I think there are actually about six or more possible to include.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:24 AM »
I used to eat yogurt all the time - especially when I was anorexic. I've gotten away from it in the past 20 years.

Its properties as an intestinal aid is much-touted these days in the US.

An old friend of mine was married to a Turk, and he made yogurt all the time. It is standard fare in their dishes too. I should have learned from him how to make it...  But what he made did not have the thickness of the Greek Yogurt I just had!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:28:43 AM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:25:32 AM »
I used to eat yogurt all the time - especially when I was anorexic. I've gotten away from it in the past 20 years.

Its properties as an intestinal aid is much-touted these days in the US.

An old friend of mine was married to a Turk, and he made yogurt all the time. It is standard fare in their dishes too. I should have learned from him how to make it...  But what he made did not have the thickness of the Greek Yogurt I just had!

It's very easy to make at home!  It actually makes itself!

I wish the search function was working properly here.  I'd love to find the thread in which I had info on healing properties of greek yogurt so I could add it to this one!

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:16 AM »
I wish the search function was working properly here.  I'd love to find the thread in which I had info on healing properties of greek yogurt so I could add it to this one!

(I know, I looked for it before I posted this. There's a thread on tzatsiki (sp?) sauce, but it didn't take the yogurt-path.)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:48 AM »
Here we go:

Greek Yogurt:

Yogurt is known for its many health benefits; live active cultures have been known to aid with ulcers, strengthen the immune system, reduce the occurrence of yeast infections and fight against food-poisoning causing bacteria such as Salmonella.  Another benefit of yogurt is that it gives your body valuable nutrients such as calcium, protein, and vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and B12.

Once more of a specialty product, Greek yogurt is now easily found in most grocery stores. Unlike regular yogurt, the Greek-style version sits in its bowl like a puffy cloud because its watery whey content has been strained. It’s more expensive than regular yogurt, but also thicker and creamier. Beyond appearances, the nutritional content is impressive too.

“Greek-style yogurt is higher in protein than the regular variety,” says Jonny Bowden, author of “The Healthiest Foods on Earth.” One commercially available full-fat product lists 15 grams of protein for a one-cup serving, and its 2 percent-fat version lists 19 grams. With studies touting the value of a high protein breakfast, Greek yogurt is a great way to start the day. “Eating protein in the morning keeps you satisfied and cuts down your urge to overeat during the rest of the day, and Greek-style yogurt is a fast way to get it,” says Bowden.

It’s a great alternative to eggs in the morning for a yummy kick start. Greek yogurt has a tart taste so flavouring it with berries, uncooked oatmeal, some nuts and ground flaxseed is a delcious and easy breakfast treat.   Or try adding some raisins, shredded carrots and shredded coconut for a delicious and good for you snack. 

In keeping with Middle Eastern and South Asian culinary traditions, this heavier, non-runny yogurt is also a great addition to main meals. Because the consistency is so similar, you can replace that dollop of sour cream with nonfat Greek yogurt, and add a spoonful to borscht and other soups, and even chicken recipes. It's also a perfect substitute for milk and butter in recipes. And the full-fat version is so rich that, with a handful of walnuts and honey, you won’t miss ice cream at dessert. But the full-fat verion is higher in calories than non-fat (about 320 calories vs. 120 calories per 8 ounces), so watch your portion sizes.    ;)

People who are moderately lactose intolerant can often digest yogurt without a problem. The process of turning milk into yogurt transforms the lactose into lactic acid, which means your body doesn't have to process the sugars in the original milk product.

Even better, yogurt can be eaten in a variety of different ways. You can even make a delicious smoothie with some yogurt and your favourite fruits.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:00:31 AM »
I eat yoghurt every day. In India I do the same - they call it curd there.
We buy yoghurt these days, and I prefer the natural-set type, especially bio-dynamic yoghurt. Julie prefers the creamy style.

I used to make yoghurt - it isn't difficult. It always comes out similar in texture. Bought yoghurt varieties of textures always bothers me a bit as they add lots of skim-milk powder, sugar and god-knows-else. Still it is probably all healthy.

Heat milk to just pre-boil. Let it sit till slightly warm, add some culture then wrap in blankets, place in warm area and leave overnight. I think that's the basics if I recall. Making your own with low-fat milk never works as well.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
Here's what's in my fridge right now (good good stuff ... and definitely more expensive than the usual.)

~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:48:32 AM »

Heat milk to just pre-boil. Let it sit till slightly warm, add some culture then wrap in blankets, place in warm area and leave overnight. I think that's the basics if I recall. Making your own with low-fat milk never works as well.

Then,  if you want it to be like Greek Yogurt,  just strain thru a cheesecloth overnight till all the excess liquid comes out!

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »
PS Tzatziki is even more yummy if you make with half sour cream and half yogurt!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk