Psychic and Healer.
Light

Author Topic: delayed awakening  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
delayed awakening
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:43 AM »
The rule is, first we choose the Path, second we Die.

In general this should take about three years, from the first real launch to the second step.

But why do some people take much longer and even whole lives, to complete this basic second step?

The first step - choosing the Path, would normally mean we begin the exercises - there are plenty of them out there, and for anyone eager, this is an exciting phase. But the exercises themselves give the indication we are gaining 'power'. Actually they lead us away from the second step. Depending on which exercises we practice, but in general they are designed to bolster the walls of the well, so we can lower the bucket down, to fetch the water.

Without this bolstering, the 'bucket lowering' part would not succeed, for many reasons. The walls would collapse, before we have the clear water, or after - either way, all would be futile.

The 'bucket lowering' is the central core of the practices: meditation. This is the 'awakening' exercise in essence. This exercise leads to silence, inner silence. It is this exercise which invokes Death.

When meditation is combined with the other practices, then we have a wholesome combination, which lowers us to Death in a constructive way.

Death means more than physical death. It means the death of our false self. Some call this the ego, but that word is problematic, as it is normally ascribed to what Toltecs call the Tonal - and when that dies, there is not resurrection. That's the end. We don't seek the death of the Tonal, but we come very close to it. We seek the death of the tyrant, and it hangs on to power until the tonal is so weakened that we face a critical decision - dethrone the tyrant or death final.

Death usually means some physical component - hopefully we are not too damaged by this, but it is hard to pass through without a serious physical decrease of one form or another. Actually it is the death of that part of us which is so full of ourselves, that we seek.

Our pride and self-satisfaction. Our secret or not-so-secret belief that we are better than everyone else. And more - our total architecture of self - who we identify ourselves to be. All that has to go. One who has been through this Death has a hollowed out feeling - inside, you can sense, there is nothing. Those who haven’t been through this are full in the middle. They have a strong sense of self, even when it is concealed by timidity, it is still palpable. They also indulge in criticisms of others, delighting in telling everyone why other people are stuffed up in some way. The ‘hollow’ ones also will criticise, but you sense with them they are concocting their criticisms, and if you pushed them enough, they’d crumble and admit they don’t really know. Their criticisms have more to do with a sadness of relationship than desire to express their own inner self.

Here is the paradox - to one who sees - the hollow ones have more power and strength in ‘self’, than the brittle immortal ones - but that ‘self’ is a mysterious nebulous thing they never understand or grasp. They could never stand in the centre of the room and demand everyone listen to their opinion. They lack that obvious certitude. They may learn to pretend it, and to put on a show - but look closely, they are hollow. Just be careful though, as they could begin to reflect the power of a deeper being through their hollowness.

This Death robs us of our ‘rights’. It robs us of our convictions, of our demands, of even our desires. It robs us of our faux heaviness, our petty seriousness, our longing to be respected and liked, our aching for appreciation.

So why do some delay between the steps? Why doesn’t the inevitable sequence as expected? What has gone wrong?

The answer is always one thing - they have not practised the critical essence: meditation. They have not sought that inner silence. Instead they have done some of the practices, but rarely the not-doing practices. Those ones also lead to Death. Instead they have practised the activities that give them status, in their eyes and they fervently demand, in the eyes of others.

Such practices include skills at the associated enterprises. Skills at words, dreaming, dancing, music, tarot, oracles, interpreting dreams. Skills at accumulating loads of information about obscure religious concepts, or shamanic concepts, or they read all kinds of new-age material, which is really mind-knowledge from the past. They practice these skills enough to provide them with a certain type of power, giving them a sense of ascendancy over others.

In the worst cases they actually succeed in gaining real power over others, not just a fantasy - that is a serious disadvantage, because then they have a considerable vested interest in not losing that power. Which is what happens in Death. Luckily those cases are mostly rare in Western countries, as our lifestyle lacks the hardships necessary to acquire those powers. Most ‘delayers’ are trapped in a fantasy of their status, their place along the Path. But that fantasy is as dearly held to as if it were real - just that the world never seems to validate it for them. Denial is a wonder drug.

Then they give up their practices. They pride themselves on ‘knowing’ all about, but no longer really practising. Oh, they try their hand occasionally, just to fill out the role, but any serious effort - no, they lack the will for that.

These people become trapped between the steps. They can’t go back - once they have committed themselves to the Path, there is never any turning back. But they can’t move forward either, because they have lost the way. And yet the way is so simple - inner silence. Practice sitting on your bottom doing nothing for long periods of time and not wasting that time - striving for inner calm and silence. It never fails to work.

So that is the last thing they wish to do, and they soon construct vast bodies of arguments about why meditation is unnecessary. About why they are already doing it in other things, about how their whole life is a meditation, and on and on...

These people become sad ghosts of no-mans-land. Caught between the walls, caught in the fog. Those who have passed through look back with disquiet and concern - puzzled as to why they have stalled. Some who have the thread of teaching, strive to make forays back into the soul-desert-land, to attempt retrievals - occasionally successful, mostly failures.

Their wandering can continue for lifetimes, never happy, never knowing why. The world constantly rejecting them, but they have no place to rest, no friends.

In the end, they will run out of energy to keep this up. The first choice is the thing of real power, and once the bid is cast, it’s consequence can not be thwarted. Eventually they fall to their knees and just surrender. The effort of sustaining their parody at last overwhelms them like a tidal wave, and they crumple in a heap of tears. Right where they stood! Which could be absolutely anywhere.

It is a beautiful moment, and one when all those who had given up hope, look back with love, at another who has passed the gates, and joined the hollow people.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:13:37 AM by Michael »

littlefeather

Re: delayed awakening
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:46:21 PM »
 :-*
Thank you, Michael

Offline Sky

• Sprout
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:05:20 AM »
Excellent Michael, thank you.

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »
Nice post, Michael :)

Reminds me of something I read elsewhere ...

"Isn't it funny how there stages in this path. There is the "I don't get any of this" stage. Then a "Wow this is great" stage. Followed by "I need to teach everyone" stage. Eventually there is the "Everything is perfect the way it is" stage."

Your "hollow", I see as Full ... could be my upbringing, but I See these ppl as "resurrected" ... heh!  Light fills their empty wells and overflows into others ... the dark empty ones. 
"There is a point at which everything becomes simple and there is no longer any question of choice, because all you have staked will be lost if you look back. Life's point of no return."
- Dag Hammarskjold

Offline Definitive Journey

• Tributary
    • Las Vegas Massage Therapist Kris Kelley
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
~

Hi Michael.

Great post, btw.  As I read an interesting article from the rebel zen guys, (waiting for the spa tech dude to finish working on the spa,) one point they made seemed to 'hit the mark,' at least for me, concerning your post. 

Such practices include skills at the associated enterprises. Skills at words, dreaming, dancing, music, tarot, oracles, interpreting dreams. Skills at accumulating loads of information about obscure religious concepts, or shamanic concepts, or they read all kinds of new-age material, which is really mind-knowledge from the past. They practice these skills enough to provide them with a certain type of power, giving them a sense of ascendancy over others.

In the worst cases they actually succeed in gaining real power over others, not just a fantasy - that is a serious disadvantage, because then they have a considerable vested interest in not losing that power. Which is what happens in Death. Luckily those cases are mostly rare in Western countries, as our lifestyle lacks the hardships necessary to acquire those powers. Most ‘delayers’ are trapped in a fantasy of their status, their place along the Path. But that fantasy is as dearly held to as if it were real - just that the world never seems to validate it for them. Denial is a wonder drug.

Then they give up their practices. They pride themselves on ‘knowing’ all about, but no longer really practising. Oh, they try their hand occasionally, just to fill out the role, but any serious effort - no, they lack the will for that.

This is only a part of the whole, but made sense to me.  You mention a lack of 'will,' which is true, but take a gander at the below listed quote and let me know what you think.

From rebelzen.com, Curly's Law:

“Umm … err …”

I grappled for the words as Don waited, patient but tough. He had just asked me a question that was enough to make anybody squirm in their seat:  “What word describes the quality that you feel you lack the most?”

“Umm … err …”

“In other words, what is your weakness? Your worst character flaw?”

I looked around for an escape route and a good excuse to use it. Not finding one, I blurted, “I dunno, lack of self-discipline, lack of focus, a low threshold for boredom, easily distracted, quite lazy, no persistence.”  I tapered off under Don’s withering gaze.

“That was quite a few words.”

“Yes, yes it was.”

There was a silence. Followed by the thumping of Don’s fist on the table.

“Commitment!” he barked.

I was unsure how to react to that, beyond echoing the word blankly.

“Yes! Commitment! You lack commitment!”

Isn’t that, like, a relationship thing? I thought. Aren’t we here to talk about my career?

“You are afraid to commit! You start projects and then once the initial one percent inspiration dies and it’s time for the ninety-nine percent perspiration you find an excuse and quit. You say, ‘Oh, it’s boring …’; you see a shiny new idea and drop the old one; you chase after rainbows! You… lack … commitment.”

Ouch. Don’t hold back or anything, dude.

Commitment. Over the next week I became obsessed with the word. And as happens when you are obsessing, my ‘reticular activating system’ kicked in and suddenly I was seeing the word everywhere. Advertising. Articles. Quotes.  Like this one, which I had read many times before, but which suddenly was there again, unavoidable, on the back of my friend’s toilet door:

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back… Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred.  A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”

Zam here again.

I find myself doing this all the time.  I pick and choose; oh, I'll do this, or, I'll do that....Or, I'll do this and that. 

The focus of Curly's Law is on choosing one thing, whatever it is, (the entire E-book spells this all out) being present, here and now, and complete the task at hand.  I'm only at the beginning, but these comments on committment jumped out at me  ;)

Zam

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
the idea that unseen support manifests once we commit, is always to be kept in mind.

I once read a story about a channeller, who was channelling a spirit which said, "Until you make a decision and step forth, we can't help."

• Tributary
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »
~

As I sat out back and gazed at our favorite tree, watching the crack between the worlds open, I pondered on this a bit more. 

"Time."  "You still think you have time."

"Why have you chosen to ignore the advice of your Death?  Do you not recall, or do you just choose to ignore what occurred to you when you died?" 

Had me go and find this quote:

"By the time knowledge becomes a frightening affair the man also realizes that death is the irreplaceable partner that sits next to him on the mat. Every bit of knowledge that becomes power has death as its central force.  Death lends the ultimate touch, and whatever is touched by death indeed becomes power."

"A man who follows the paths of sorcery is confronted with imminent annihilation every turn of the way, and unavoidably he becomes keenly aware of his death. Without the awareness of death he would be only an ordinary man involved in ordinary acts. He would lack the necessary potency, the necessary concentration that transforms one's ordinary time on earth into magical power."

Seems like an important aspect that need be dug into a bit further...

z

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline ≈*≈

• Sprout
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:05:54 AM »

Zam here again.

I find myself doing this all the time.  I pick and choose; oh, I'll do this, or, I'll do that....Or, I'll do this and that. 

The focus of Curly's Law is on choosing one thing, whatever it is, (the entire E-book spells this all out) being present, here and now, and complete the task at hand.  I'm only at the beginning, but these comments on committment jumped out at me  ;)

Zam

As Sensei said ... your actions/words thoughts must encompass All aspects of your life.  There is no picking and choosing.  Most of all ... make a commitment to yourself.

Many times we have those around us leading us to drink from the well, but if we won't commit to even a sip ..........

the idea that unseen support manifests once we commit, is always to be kept in mind.

I once read a story about a channeller, who was channelling a spirit which said, "Until you make a decision and step forth, we can't help."

Unseen with eyes wide open .........

<<turns defogger on>>

A :-*

"There is a point at which everything becomes simple and there is no longer any question of choice, because all you have staked will be lost if you look back. Life's point of no return."
- Dag Hammarskjold

• Tributary
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »
~

... make a commitment to yourself.

A :-*

Ah yes, Master Po!

<<bows>>

z

:P

Offline Endless~Knot

• Storm
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 03:07:25 AM »
This needs to be bumped.
“Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Tributary
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »
The rule is, first we choose the Path, second we Die.

In general this should take about three years, from the first real launch to the second step.

But why do some people take much longer and even whole lives, to complete this basic second step?

The first step - choosing the Path, would normally mean we begin the exercises - there are plenty of them out there, and for anyone eager, this is an exciting phase. But the exercises themselves give the indication we are gaining 'power'. Actually they lead us away from the second step. Depending on which exercises we practice, but in general they are designed to bolster the walls of the well, so we can lower the bucket down, to fetch the water.

Without this bolstering, the 'bucket lowering' part would not succeed, for many reasons. The walls would collapse, before we have the clear water, or after - either way, all would be futile.

The 'bucket lowering' is the central core of the practices: meditation. This is the 'awakening' exercise in essence. This exercise leads to silence, inner silence. It is this exercise which invokes Death.

When meditation is combined with the other practices, then we have a wholesome combination, which lowers us to Death in a constructive way.

Death means more than physical death. It means the death of our false self. Some call this the ego, but that word is problematic, as it is normally ascribed to what Toltecs call the Tonal - and when that dies, there is not resurrection. That's the end. We don't seek the death of the Tonal, but we come very close to it. We seek the death of the tyrant, and it hangs on to power until the tonal is so weakened that we face a critical decision - dethrone the tyrant or death final.

Death usually means some physical component - hopefully we are not too damaged by this, but it is hard to pass through without a serious physical decrease of one form or another. Actually it is the death of that part of us which is so full of ourselves, that we seek.

Our pride and self-satisfaction. Our secret or not-so-secret belief that we are better than everyone else. And more - our total architecture of self - who we identify ourselves to be. All that has to go. One who has been through this Death has a hollowed out feeling - inside, you can sense, there is nothing. Those who haven’t been through this are full in the middle. They have a strong sense of self, even when it is concealed by timidity, it is still palpable. They also indulge in criticisms of others, delighting in telling everyone why other people are stuffed up in some way. The ‘hollow’ ones also will criticise, but you sense with them they are concocting their criticisms, and if you pushed them enough, they’d crumble and admit they don’t really know. Their criticisms have more to do with a sadness of relationship than desire to express their own inner self.

Here is the paradox - to one who sees - the hollow ones have more power and strength in ‘self’, than the brittle immortal ones - but that ‘self’ is a mysterious nebulous thing they never understand or grasp. They could never stand in the centre of the room and demand everyone listen to their opinion. They lack that obvious certitude. They may learn to pretend it, and to put on a show - but look closely, they are hollow. Just be careful though, as they could begin to reflect the power of a deeper being through their hollowness.

This Death robs us of our ‘rights’. It robs us of our convictions, of our demands, of even our desires. It robs us of our faux heaviness, our petty seriousness, our longing to be respected and liked, our aching for appreciation.

So why do some delay between the steps? Why doesn’t the inevitable sequence as expected? What has gone wrong?

The answer is always one thing - they have not practised the critical essence: meditation. They have not sought that inner silence. Instead they have done some of the practices, but rarely the not-doing practices. Those ones also lead to Death. Instead they have practised the activities that give them status, in their eyes and they fervently demand, in the eyes of others.

These people become trapped between the steps. They can’t go back - once they have committed themselves to the Path, there is never any turning back. But they can’t move forward either, because they have lost the way. And yet the way is so simple - inner silence. Practice sitting on your bottom doing nothing for long periods of time and not wasting that time - striving for inner calm and silence. It never fails to work.

So that is the last thing they wish to do, and they soon construct vast bodies of arguments about why meditation is unnecessary. About why they are already doing it in other things, about how their whole life is a meditation, and on and on...

These people become sad ghosts of no-mans-land. Caught between the walls, caught in the fog. Those who have passed through look back with disquiet and concern - puzzled as to why they have stalled. Some who have the thread of teaching, strive to make forays back into the soul-desert-land, to attempt retrievals - occasionally successful, mostly failures.

Their wandering can continue for lifetimes, never happy, never knowing why. The world constantly rejecting them, but they have no place to rest, no friends.

In the end, they will run out of energy to keep this up. The first choice is the thing of real power, and once the bid is cast, it’s consequence can not be thwarted. Eventually they fall to their knees and just surrender. The effort of sustaining their parody at last overwhelms them like a tidal wave, and they crumple in a heap of tears. Right where they stood! Which could be absolutely anywhere.

It is a beautiful moment, and one when all those who had given up hope, look back with love, at another who has passed the gates, and joined the hollow people.

~*~

Offline Elvarrassen

• Tadpole
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
The concept which Michael has posted here reminds me a great deal of the process Siddhartha Gautama used to gain what was called enlightenment. The result differs in terms of how the practicianer views the results. But it seems to me that Siddhartha hollowed himself out until he came to the conclusion that he did not exist.

Offline travellingmind

• Tadpole
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 03:37:14 AM »
Hollowness of a human is an unspeakable concept. You cannot ask them "Who are you?" or "What are you?". There seems to be no intelligible answer.

What is there, if anything at all? Anything that would make sense in the commonly accepted reference system of the (Western) world?

Nik

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

could it be that what gets stuck in the fog is the inner child?

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »
could it be that what gets stuck in the fog is the inner child?

You could say that, except it implies you know what is the inner child. However, the solution would not alter.