Author Topic: Pasta Carbonara  (Read 264 times)

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
Re: Pasta Carbonara
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 08:49:13 AM »
Hey Rudi, is that light breakfast because it's traditional to eat a late dinner, like between 8-10pm?  My mother and John lived in Livorno for a few years, and that's how they said it was there.

I think it's because they wake up late. The office hours in Italy are from 9am until 18pm, and people usually have breakfast after they get to the office, or on the way. You have to consider also that in warmer climates lighter and less food is preferred. Also I think it is a tradition, they are born and raised this way so their metabolism adapted to this rythm.

The average italian eats indeed between 8-9pm. When do you eat dinner? In the afternoon?
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
The average italian eats indeed between 8-9pm. When do you eat dinner? In the afternoon?

Between 5-7pm. Typical days begin at 5-6am.

That's what's "normal". But I myself eat about 2pm (it's a breakfast-lunch-dinner sort of meal), with only a tiny snack if anything in the evening. A habit adapted from decades of working evening and night shifts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:55:24 AM by Nichi »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »
Pasta came into my life quite late - all we had in my youth was spaghetti, and I still have a strong aversion to spaghetti bolognaise, which was the only way Australians ate Italian. I later heard Italians completely disowned what Australians cooked up as spaghetti bolognaise.

I am an ignoramus about pasta - all I know is that there is wholemeal and white-flour pasta, and that for some unhealthy reason most pasta lovers prefer white-flour pasta. Much like most Australian men still prefer white bread.

The next thing I have gleaned is that for some unknown reason there are lots of different types of pasta, which I gather is just flour and water. Then people go crazy and pay huge amounts of money for obscure brands and types of this stuff.

Well when we had the restaurant, I made an effort to try one of these specialities, but after making the appropriate enquires and cooking up some special pasta, I couldn't taste the difference.

I'm sure there is a difference, but somehow my palate is in need of training in this area. And living in a country town, we don't have great access to good pasta, cooked or uncooked. It always seemed a bit stodgy to me, so I'd love to try some well prepared varieties somewhere.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
(Australia won't allow foodstuffs to be received by mail, am I right?)

Italians also rebuke American-versions of all pasta dishes, I'm pretty sure.

I do taste a quality-difference in pasta imported from Italy and pasta manufactured in the US. And the ingredients which seem so 'key' in so many recipes - like parmesan reggianopancetta, marscapone cheese, and fresh mozzarella are either hard to find or very expensive.

I've never made home-made pasta, but the cooking shows make it look easy. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:51:13 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
The best bread in the world = all the Italian breads. If you live in the US, you can't find "the real thing" unless you're in New Jersey, New York, or New England.

Every so often you can find items like Panettone in the gourmet shops.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:00:45 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »
Why I Dream of Pasta

A reflective little article...
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk