Author Topic: Nettle  (Read 108 times)

Ke-ke wan

Nettle
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:13:56 AM »
I got some stinging nettles from a guy at the Farmer's Market last weekend, so I chopped them up and put them in my soup.   Another one of Nature's magics, they are a great natural remedy for quite a number of ailments.  Careful, though if you go to pick them, they're sting can be quite painful!

Ke-ke wan

Re: Nettle
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:17:35 AM »
Nettle Soup

I came across a lovely little recipe for nettle soup in a book called 'Cooking Weeds: Vegetarian Recipes' by Vivien Weise which I adapted slightly. Choose plants in areas that you know without doubt have not been sprayed with chemicals or contaminated by animals. Take care not to get stung!  And wear gloves!

First collect a large bunch of nettle leaves by snipping with a scissors and letting the leaves fall into a paper bag. Rinse the leaves several times in fresh water. Chop two onions finely and fry them in olive oil  in a soup pot, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add one clove of crushed garlic, (or more if you like!)  2 cups of diced potato (I leave skins on) and one litre of water. Bring to the boil for fifteen minutes, then add the nettle leaves and boil for another fifteen minutes. Add 200ml of cream, milk or soya milk and leave to cool slightly before using a hand blender. Add salt to taste and prepare to be amazed.

Another variation on this soup which is also delicious is to omit the cream and add one can of stewed tomatoes.  Delicious and so good for you!

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:19:53 AM »
Short list of healing properties of Nettle

reduces allergies

stimulates digestion

cleanses blood

aids lactation

reduces inflammation

promotes menstruation

relieves pain

kills germs

stops hair loss

lowers body temperature

increases urination

stops bleeding

dilates blood vessels

lowers blood pressure

heals wounds

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:06:24 AM »
Treatments from nettles

As well as the nutritional value people have exploited the medicinal properties of the stinging nettle.

Culpeper recommended the use of nettles to ’...consume the phlegmatic superfluities in the body of man, that the coldness and moisture of winter has left behind“. He also prescribed the juice of the leaves as a treatment for gangrenes and scabies.

Native Americans used the fresh leaves to treat aches and pains. European herbalists used the leaves in a similar fashion to treat gout and arthritis.

Surprisingly, although the nettle sting is highly irritant, once dried to neutralize the acid the leaves are a natural anti-histamine and also have anti-asthmatic properties.

The dried powdered leaves can also be used to staunch the flow of blood from small cuts.

In recent times the nettle has also been found to be effective in the treatment of benign prostate hypertrophy.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
Well known the goodness in nettle.
We have so much growing in and around the chook house that I have to wippersnip them down periodically.

We used to make nettle tea in the old days. The soup sounds nice - Julie might try that.

However I can't agree about them stinging - a mild tingle, only wimps recoil at nettle sting. The trick is to 'grasp the nettle!'  A bit of nettle on the cheek brings out the rosy smile.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:43 AM »
They sting me like crazy!  Burns like a beach!

You must have thicker skin than me!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk