Author Topic: Toltec Joke  (Read 150 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Toltec Joke
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »
Man was driving his horse and buggy back to his remote property from the city, bring back with him his brand new bride.

On a lonely bush track, the horse started playing up, and jibbing at the reins. The man got down and walked around to the horse, looked it in the eye and said, "That's once."

They started off again but a few miles down the track, the horse played up again. The man got down and looked it in the eye, saying "That's twice."

Again they set off, and again some miles down the track the horse did the same thing. The man got his rifle from the buggy, went around to the horse and shot it through the head.

His new bride was horrified, and complained to him that such an action was uncalled for.

The man looked her in the eye and said, "That's once."

Offline Taimyr

• Rishi
    • My photos
Re: Toltec Joke
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »
whew, what an arrogant man   ;D

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:31:51 AM »
Definitely, a complete arsehole.

But why would I call this a 'Toltec' joke?

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Definitely, a complete arsehole.

But why would I call this a 'Toltec' joke?

I don't know, but I'm eager to know! Why do you call it a "Toltec joke"?
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Taimyr

• Rishi
    • My photos
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
I don't know, maybe because it's a symbolic way of describing some mood or a way of action.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:37:21 PM by Taimyr »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »
I was contemplating the story of Julian, and how he had to walk the line of death all his awakened life - never to set a foot wrong.

I was contemplating the Toltec image of the Bird who flies but once.

I have been contemplating the comparison of other religions to the Toltecs.

Many other traditions/religions hold up the virtue of compassion, understanding, and especially forgiveness. These values don't exist in Toltec lore.

There is no room for a wrong foot in the Toltec path. No room for repentance, or salvation through mercy.

For Toltecs, once the decision has been made, the direction changed, then the path is clear. If we choose to slip back to our old ways, our old desires, then we leave the path, and there is no way back.

For Toltecs, everything is final!

This is unbelievably severe, and unfortunately there is no one to remonstrate before, to have our case reconsidered.

For Toltecs, there are not three times - there is only one. When you find the path, if you don't value it to the absolute limit of your being, you will slip, and then the fog surrounds you.

Those who wander thus, are literally lost forever.

I think this is a supremely arrogant and distasteful attitude, but unfortunately, I don't have a say. So I have to change my view, and see this attitude as one of supreme beauty. You see, I have watched it in action, and know that the Toltecs are correct - that is the way it has been set up. There isn't anything we can do about it.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:32:39 AM »
Many other traditions/religions hold up the virtue of compassion, understanding, and especially forgiveness. These values don't exist in Toltec lore.

I see/use these virtues as I would any other 'feelings' anger, happiness, sadness... an avenue of seeing the human world. Inward I'm conscious of the folly of it all -as the coyote laughs. I used to struggle with compassion.. or lack of it, like I was missing something important. Now I'm filled with compassion or not.. as the flow of life moves in front of my being I choose to use these as a tool to help ease the suffering of my fellow man. (Will I react or make action with-) Its my choice to live in this world in this way.. it could change at any moment. I'm not connected in a way that creates a difference within 'myself', no matter my choice of action in any situation.  I can create a difference in the soft vibrations of another with them.

Do I have compassion.. sure, I can see the road taken. Understanding.. yep.. can see the road taken.. forgivenes.. just look back.. again the road taken.

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Jahn

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 04:19:59 AM »
Man was driving his horse and buggy back to his remote property from the city, bring back with him his brand new bride.

On a lonely bush track, the horse started playing up, and jibbing at the reins. The man got down and walked around to the horse, looked it in the eye and said, "That's once."

They started off again but a few miles down the track, the horse played up again. The man got down and looked it in the eye, saying "That's twice."

Again they set off, and again some miles down the track the horse did the same thing. The man got his rifle from the buggy, went around to the horse and shot it through the head.

His new bride was horrified, and complained to him that such an action was uncalled for.

The man looked her in the eye and said, "That's once."

Funny that you tell this joke.
Brian, a student of the Toltec School told this joke one evening when we were sailing in the Caribbeans. So i have heard it before (in English).

Jahn

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 04:24:59 AM »

A Swedish saying goes:

One time - no time
Two times - many times.

That should be read as:

One mistake - nothing to bother about.
Two mistakes  [of the same kind] is many times, meaning very clumpsy or a pattern. 

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »

I see/use these virtues as I would any other 'feelings' anger, happiness, sadness... an avenue of seeing the human world.

Yes, I also use these 'virtues', but underneath I know there is a very different world. I see such virtues as part of the human bubble, and also feel there is much value in humans emphasising and disseminating these values. But we should be under no illusions when dealing with our centimetre of chance.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »

I see/use these virtues as I would any other 'feelings' anger, happiness, sadness... an avenue of seeing the human world. Inward I'm conscious of the folly of it all -as the coyote laughs. I used to struggle with compassion.. or lack of it, like I was missing something important. Now I'm filled with compassion or not.. as the flow of life moves in front of my being I choose to use these as a tool to help ease the suffering of my fellow man. (Will I react or make action with-) Its my choice to live in this world in this way.. it could change at any moment. I'm not connected in a way that creates a difference within 'myself', no matter my choice of action in any situation.  I can create a difference in the soft vibrations of another with them.

Do I have compassion.. sure, I can see the road taken. Understanding.. yep.. can see the road taken.. forgivenes.. just look back.. again the road taken.

Very nice Jennifer!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk