Author Topic: I was Carlos Castaneda  (Read 434 times)

Ke-ke wan

Re: I was Carlos Castaneda
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
Wow. Enthralled

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »
"Cause before the effect" eh, so that's the best bit.
Exactly, and then the effect... But until then, these channels remain open.

As for making thing up, I'm absolutely sure he did - a lot - but not in the way he says he didn't. You have to tell the real story, and how you do that is up to your own personality, and CC's was quite flamboyant.

I'm listening to Rachmaninov just now - and he's lying beautifully all the way through....

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 03:23:55 AM »
Sometimes, and I know this from personal experience, if you tell a person some thing in a direct manner, they won't listen and cannot hear. So you tell them in a way they aren't afraid to listen  to.  Eventually they will get what's hidden between thelines.  Or go crazy. Lol.

I used to get very impatient with one of my teachers for not directly telling me answers to my questions.  He was answering, but in away I could understand at that time..
I say it allthe time, but... Humans are complicated creatures.   
Our way of communicating has become very complex

Jahn

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 06:31:56 AM »
[quote author=Michael link=topic=11475.msg106809#msg106809 date=1459502596

As for making thing up, I'm absolutely sure he did - a lot - but not in the way he says he didn't. You have to tell the real story, and how you do that is up to your own personality, and CC's was quite flamboyant.

[/quote]

Martin Goodman say it, Castanedas horoscope also tells that, Carlos had a very good voice, his personal horoscope even suggested that he (CC) could be a very good singer.

That kind of ideas regarding his voice really got me feeling kind of ill. To hear Carlos Castaneda sing a song would be completely impossible for me. To hear him talk, I would love to, but to hear him sing - that would be too much.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:21:19 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 07:04:50 AM »
“Innocence is a story waiting to be understood. And now Martin, it is time to hear yours.”

Even now, as I write, I see how Carlos keeps setting me up for my story. Yet I’m reluctant to begin. There is so much more contentment in simply sitting and listening to the river as it passes by. "You makes me nervous", I confess.

“Is it me, or the story you have to tell?”

You’ve been so critical of me. No matter how I start you’ll find a fault.

“You started long ago Martin. We’re both locked in this story now. We have to stay till the end. Don’t worry about me. I won’t say a word. Tell the story to yourself. I’ll just sit here, mind my own business, watch my cloths steam, and cavesdrop." pp 101-102
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:28:42 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 07:21:59 AM »
"There is not far to go now. I let myself slow down a little, so that he will be a good way in front of me at the point where we are to take a track down into the valley on our left. I look forward to calling him back.

He doesn’t look back to check with me. The turning comes and he takes it, heading straight down the track. By the time I am on the track too and able to look down at where he is going. I see him disappear left along a narrow path through a patch of woodland.
He is precisely on course for my secret destination. I have looked forward to the drama of introducing it to him. Now that drama is gone. Saving a secret for Carlos is like introducing your own body to a surgeon, who already knows it better than you will, simply from scanning an X-ray.

I find Carlos inside the ruin. Though it carries the name of Saint Felicity and dates back to the tenth century, this chapel has more of an eighteenth- or nineteenth-century resonance for me”. page 115.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:22:16 AM by Jahn »

Jahn

THe Active Side of Infinity
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 06:57:59 AM »
Attached two pages from the first chapter, and then this quote from The Fire FRom Within pp 99-103, Black Swan, 1984.

"For seers, to be alive means to be aware," he replied. "For the average man, to be aware means to be an organism. This is where seers are different. For them, to be aware means that the emanations that cause awareness are encased inside a receptacle.
"Organic living beings have a cocoon that encloses the emanations. But there are other creatures whose receptacles don't look like a cocoon to a seer. Yet they have the emanations of awareness in them and characteristics of life other than reproduction and metabolism."

"Such as what, don Juan?"
"Such as emotional dependency, sadness, joy, wrath, and so forth and so on. And I forgot the best yet, love; a kind of love man can't even conceive.

"Are you serious, don Juan?" I asked in earnest.
"Inanimately serious," he answered with a deadpan expression and then broke into laughter.
"If we take as our clue what seers see," he continued, "life is indeed extraordinary."
"If those beings are alive, why don't they make themselves known to man?" I asked.

"They do, all the time. And not only to seers but also to the average man. The problem is that all the energy available is consumed by the first attention. Man's inventory not only takes it all, but it also toughens the cocoon to the point of making it inflexible. Under those circumstances there is no possible interaction."

It reminded me of the countless times, in the course of my apprenticeship with him, when I had had a firsthand view of inorganic beings. I retorted that I had explained away nearly every one of those instances. I had even formulated the hypothesis that his teachings, through the use of hallucinogenic plants, were geared to force an agreement, on the part of the apprentice, about a primitive interpretation of the world. I told him that I had not formally called it primitive interpretation but in anthropological terms I had labeled it a "world view more proper to hunting and gathering societies."
Don Juan laughed until he was out of breath.

"I really don't know whether you're worse in your normal state of awareness or in a heightened one," he said. "In your normal state you're not suspicious, but boringly reasonable. I think I like you best when you are way inside the left side, in spite of the fact that you are terribly afraid of everything, as you were yesterday."
Before I had time to say anything at all, he stated that he was pitting what the old seers did against the accomplishments of the new seers, as a sort of counterpoint, with which he intended to give me a more inclusive view of the odds I was up against.

He continued then with his elucidation of the practices of the old seers. He said that another of their great findings had to do with the next category of secret knowledge: fire and water. They discovered that flames have a most peculiar quality; they can transport man bodily, just as water does.

Don Juan called it a brilliant discovery. I remarked that there are basic laws of physics that would prove that to be impossible. He asked me to wait until he had explained everything before drawing any conclusions. He remarked that I had to check my excessive rationality, because it constantly affected my states of heightened awareness. It was not a case of reacting every which way to external influences, but of succumbing to my own devices.

He went on explaining that the ancient Toltecs, although they obviously saw, did not understand what they saw. They merely used their findings without bothering to relate them to a larger picture. In the case of their category of fire and water, they divided fire into heat and flame, and water into wetness and fluidity. They correlated heat and wetness and called them lesser properties. They considered flames and fluidity to be higher, magical properties, and they used them as a means for bodily transportation to the realm of nonorganic life. Between their knowledge of that kind of life and their fire and water practices, the ancient seers became bogged down in a quagmire with no way out.

Don Juan assured me that the new seers agreed that the discovery of nonorganic living beings was indeed extraordinary, but not in the way the old seers believed it to be. To find themselves in a one-to-one relation with another kind of life gave the ancient seers a false feeling of invulnerability, which spelled their doom.

I wanted him to explain the fire and water techniques in greater detail. He said that the old seers' knowledge was as intricate as it was useless and that he was only going to outline it.

Then he summarized the practices of the above and the below. The above dealt with secret knowledge about wind, rain, sheets of lightning, clouds, thunder, daylight, and the sun. The knowledge of the below had to do with fog, water of underground springs, swamps, lightning bolts, earthquakes, the night, moonlight, and the moon.

The loud and the silent were a category of secret knowledge that had to do with the manipulation of sound and quiet. The moving and the stationary were practices concerned with mysterious aspects of motion and motionlessness.

I asked him if he could give me an example of any of the techniques he had outlined. He replied that he had already given me dozens of demonstrations over the years. I insisted that I had rationally explained away everything he had done to me.
He did not answer. He seemed to be either angry at me for asking questions or seriously involved in searching for a good example. After a while he smiled and said that he had visualized the proper example.

"The technique I have in mind has to be put in action in the shallow depths of a stream," he said. "There is one near Genaro's house."
"What will I have to do?"
"You'll have to get a medium-size mirror."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:09:16 AM by Jahn »

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »
I had forgotten about the mirror and stream.

Thank you

Jahn

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »
I just found out - one can never really die.

If that is some kind of consolation ... for us.

Jahn

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
"From now on you must simply show people whatever you care to show them, but without ever telling exactly how you've done it. You see, we only have two alternatives; we either take everything for sure and real, or we don't. If we follow the first, we end up bored to death with ourselves and with the world. If we follow the second and erase personal history, we create a fog around us, a very exciting and mysterious state in which nobody knows where the rabbit will pop out, not even ourselves."

"When nothing is for sure we remain alert, perennially on our toes. It is more exciting not to know which bush the rabbit is hiding behind than to behave as though we know everything."

CC Journey to Ixtlan
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:31:36 AM by Jahn »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »
 :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk