Author Topic: Roasted Apple Rutabaga Soup  (Read 122 times)

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Roasted Apple Rutabaga Soup
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:22:08 AM »
Today's culinary adventure will use these four sources, primarily: http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/appetizersandsoups1/r/applebagasoup.htm
http://thesundaydinnerrevival.com/2011/02/20/piggyback-cooking-mashed-rutabagas-becomes-apple-rutabaga-soup/
http://veganyumyum.com/2007/11/rutabagas-are-for-lovers/
http://suite101.com/article/spice-pairing-list-a94300

So probably will fallow the first recipe but inspired by the crispy shallots and roasted garlic in the others I'm going to roast whatever I can. I'll search some spice pairing lists for some fun ideas. Let you guys know how it goes, if I find my camera I'll take some pictures, when it's done I'll share what my recipe.

Yum

"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Roasted Apple Rutabaga Soup
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:03:25 AM »
I like the spirit of adventure with it!   :)
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Roasted Pear Rutabaga Soup
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
Ingredients:

1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
half cup onion, roughly chopped
half cup leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only the white and pale green parts.
1 cup Bartlett pear, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
1 cup rutabaga, peeled and roughly chopped
1 cup butternut squash, peeled seeded and roughly chopped
1 cup carrots, roughly chopped
1 cup sweet potato, roughly chopped
1 quart good chicken stock (unsalted, not that we don't like salt, its all about control)
maple syrup to taste
Salt and cayenne or chipotle pepper (I love its robust flavor) to taste
Greek yogurt to taste
olive oil

Preparation:

Coat liberally (because we like freedom) with olive oil, the onion, leeks, rutabaga, butternut squash, sweet potato, and Bartlett pear, and roast to oblivion. About 45 minutes to 1 hour, tossing at least once, until very tender and caramelized. Don't let it char, a little blackening isn't to bad, but really aim for just a nice golden brown.

-An alternative that occurred to me after the fact was to melt the butter, and mix everything in with the butter, maple syrup, salt and chipotle in a large bowl. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to meld the flavors and then roast for 45 to an hour.

Certain things are likely to roast faster than others esp. for instance the pears, so peak every now and then and remove what roasts first. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and as things are done roasting toss them in. Actually just chuck them really hard...really throwing food is a blast. ;)

Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes so all the flavors blend together and your house smells like heaven.

Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into the same pot you used to cook the vegetables. (We don't actually have the fine mesh strainer, so I taste a bite and blend more if it isn't the desired consistency) Now I add the cayenne and/or chipotle, and maple syrup to taste. As far as the yogurt, I have each person place however much yogurt they want in the bottom of their bowl, and the soup on top, and mix it together on their own.

Over all I was happy with this one, but not fully impressed, now I have to make the original, and play with a few other variations to find just the right fit.

Advantage of pear over apple is the added fiber content. Yogurt has the cultures, and kind I used less fat than the cream. Hopefully the cultures aren't destroyed in the heat.  I may actually be lactose intolerant, but I occasionally make exceptions for greek yogurt and butter. Yum!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:15:35 PM by Nai »
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
I've never heard of rutabaga. Is it the same as the common turnip?

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
I've never heard of rutabaga. Is it the same as the common turnip?

Very similar, but more bitter. A darker yellow when cooked.

My grandmother would make a mashed version of it, and as a kid, I never could come around to it. But I bet the combination with apple makes a big difference.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »
The butternut squash, sweet potato, and apple actually adds quite a bit of flavor to this as well that helps with the rutabega....actually i was slightly dissapointed that this tasted too much like a roasted butternut squash recipe i made a few weeks ago.
To me raw rutabega actually smells like a cross between potato and turnip. In another soup I just made that had collard greens and the last of the rutabega, it actually ended up orange.  ??? No bitterness though and the little one loved it.
I have also had a mashed potato recipe that involves, potato, rutabega, and parsnip, i was sweeter and more complex than regular mashed puds. Parsnip is the best though esp. in soup. I will often replace carrot with parsnip if I want a sweeter end result.
A root vegy I want to try is kohlrabi. It is related to the cabbage, as is the rutabega which is also related to the turnip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk