Author Topic: Earth shaking  (Read 161 times)

Ke-ke wan

Earth shaking
« on: December 31, 2015, 06:48:10 AM »
Earth is shaking today.  I'm not sure if we have a board, thread dedicated to Earth Quakes already, if so, feel free to move this, mods.

Dad's house was hit by a big one today.  (Last month a tree fell on his house, poor guy)

A modest magnitude 4.3 earthquake was felt in Metro Vancouver late this evening at 11:40 p.m.

According to the federal government’s Natural Resources Canada department, the earthquake had a deep depth of 58.7 kilometres and an epicentre 19 kilometres northeast of Victoria and eight kilometres east-southeast of Sidney – right under the Strait of Georgia. It was also felt strongly on Vancouver Island and elsewhere on the B.C. South Coast.

The seismic event was originally classified as a magnitude 4.9 event by the U.S. Geological Survey, but it was downgraded shortly after.

There are no reports of any significant damage at this time. As well, no tsunami alert has been issued – a tsunami is not expected given the magnitude and location.

British Columbia, Canada has had: (M1.5 or greater)

1 earthquake today
3 earthquakes in the past 7 days
13 earthquakes in the past month

The largest earthquake in British Columbia, Canada:

today: 1.9 in Princeton, British Columbia, Canada

Here's a map of the quake trails:
http://earthquaketrack.com/recent

Actually felt it here, too.  But I was dreamin'. 

Ke-ke wan

Re: Earth shaking
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
SkyTrain’s Expo and Millennium lines were shut down for approximately an hour as a safety precaution to ensure the elevated guideways were not damaged by the tremors.

This is the second moderate earthquake to strike the North American West Coast on Tuesday. At 5:48 p.m., a magnitude 4.4 earthquake was centred four kilometres outside of Devore, California – about 48 kilometres east of Los Angeles. There have been a number of smaller aftershocks since the initial event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qHOE3bYWI#action=share

Ke-ke wan

Re: Earth shaking
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 03:38:10 AM »
Medium sized quake right here in Osoyoos today.   I felt it and was dreaming about it just before it happened.   4.3 and the rumble was loud and long.   Article says "near Oliver"   osoyoos is the town just South of Oliver. 

"An earthquake near Oliver B.C. was felt by many who described the shaking as sustained. (Associated Press)
25    shares
A magnitude 4.3 earthquake was detected by seismic measuring systems near Oliver, B.C., and people near the town felt "sustained shaking" for up to 25 seconds.

Oliver is located in the south of the Okanagan Valley.

The quake was centred 21 kilometres east of the town.

People from Grand Forks B.C. and Washington State felt the quake"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk