Author Topic: Water  (Read 286 times)

nichi

Water
« on: March 23, 2007, 08:51:59 AM »
I've been one to feed the critters over the past 30+ years, but I've had to slow down in that venture here in the last year, due to the attraction of rats. They are dead and gone now, but you get gunshy when one of the creepy guys walks over your shoe, as if you aren't there. If I never see another one, I will be happy.

Still, though, who can resist the calls and screams of the blue jays outside your window, as they seem to "know" you're up and about?  So I have been putting out peanuts. Plus, the squirrels also enjoy them. The good thing about peanuts is that the birds get them "to go" -- it would strange indeed if at the end of the day, there were peanuts left over. 

But there is something else more interesting and attractive to the birds than peanuts and sunflower seeds::: water! I've got 6 bird-bath fix-ups in the back yard. I filled them all up moments ago, and while I waited for my coffee to come down, I got a variety of birds coming in for a drink or a splash (nothing too unusual, but showing how quickly they catch on):

Robin, for whom birdbaths are more than a drink: they are ecstasy!

Cardinal, state bird of Virginia:

Blue Jay, who also gets ecstatic in the baths:

Eastern Towhee, who loves the mud around the baths:

Brown Thrasher, musical cousin to the mockingbird:

and a host of mourning doves, starlings and grackles.
All within a few minutes.

Water is premium stuff!

nichi

Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:30:24 AM »
At sunrise, crows come, before the crowd arrives...
Funny to watch them, as they are as large as the baths themselves.

Offline tommy2

• Pir
  • An opportunity to achieve a great end.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:35:52 PM »
Thanx for the reminder, Sis.  I need to get mine out real soon.

The field across from the house was literally FULL of robin pairs this a.m. :)

The jays and blacks have already returned so I need to get my wren houses out, don't cha think?

t
t2f

nichi

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 04:51:32 PM »
Yeah, this is the time!  :)
I've had houses before, but they were "blocked" always before the wrens could set up shop. Some bird (starling, I suspect) staking his claim with a stick in the entrance, so no one can get in!

Wrens are great -- love to listen to their orneriness!!
Who'd a thunk such a little bird could kick up such a fuss? :D

Around here, the carolina wrens:

nichi

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »
The field across from the house was literally FULL of robin pairs this a.m. :)
t

I love it when the robins come back!
Missed them in California last year -- imagine a place in n.america without robins!  :o

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:01:14 AM »

Apropos birds and baths. I look forward to follow the rituals at our pond in the garden. Its blackbird, blue jays and more that have their regular procedures at the shore of the pond.

For the pond there is also a new cohort of goldfish ready to be installed. We got this mini aquarium with seven fishes that shall be the new inhabitors.

nichi

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:30:51 AM »
So hard to not be giddy as I tell you that I was watching the baths, and down flew, one, two, four, six, eight, ten or eleven cedar waxwings to one of the baths!! They don't live here -- they only pass through -- and it's always tempting to conclude that ya must have done something right,  somewhere along the line, to rate the visit!  Some tiny thing!  :) :)

They are some of the happiest birds!

They're like travelling marauders --

So, giggle I will, for it only lasts a minute!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:37:01 AM by nichi »

Jahn

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:24:19 AM »
They don't live here either, but pass by in the autumn.

Offline tommy2

• Pir
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:33:59 AM »
Hey, I want onna them feathers, Yo !  Ha.  t
t2f

nichi

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »
They don't live here either, but pass by in the autumn.

You must have done something really wonderful, Jahn!
;)

Jahn

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 03:08:43 AM »
Hey, I want onna them feathers, Yo !  Ha.  t

If I had known that ... the letter to you is already on its way.  :P
But in the next letter perhaps?

Offline tommy2

• Pir
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 04:27:33 AM »
No problem, buddy.  I'm always looking for the naturally-colorful feathers. 

Was just thinking about you and Jenn.  Made a new and very powerful Eye of the Future and now it's missing.  Hmmmmm.  t
t2f

nichi

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 07:20:03 AM »
There's a leak in the outdoor water faucet/hose in back, and I left the hose, which slightly drips, in one of the baths. The drip is symptomatic of so much around here, but ignoring that for a minute...

The bath was overflowing and dripping, per the hose being placed in it, and it created waterfalls for the robins! The robins have been dancing back and forth ecstatically in the falls, ignoring the grackles eye-ing them and everything! There are a handful of robins, watching and waiting their turn under the falls.

In between the showers, they dig in the mud being created, a little deeper each time. It's tempting to just let them dig out a pond!

Mud -- worms -- magic falls -- it's Robin Disneyworld! 

nichi

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 03:54:05 AM »
We've been in drought conditions for the last several months, but in the last week, we've had a couple of strong rains. Plus, yesterday the temperature hit 70 degrees F.

So today, even with the temperature back down to the 40's, spring birds are still picking about around the water holes. Especially the ground-feeding birds: there must be some serious worming to be had.

In my back yard today, I joyously report
(Pics all snagged from the net.):

American Robin

Eastern Towhee

Blue Jay

Downy Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Brown Thrasher

Northern Cardinal

Twas a fine showing indeed, and it made my week!

Thank-you, spirit!

tangerine dream

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 05:54:40 AM »
Yay!
Spring Birdies!
Right now I have a ton of fat little chickadees and also a little beautifully shiny black bird, with a sapsucker like beak.  I do not recognise him.  Don't think we have them back in BC.  But they are the chatteriest little birds. Sheesh!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk