Author Topic: Mating Season For The Ravens  (Read 307 times)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Mating Season For The Ravens
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:02:50 PM »
While driving home from town yesterday my son and I got to witness the courtship of two ravens. We watched in the distance as they danced together, brushing wings and diving in display. As we got closer they locked feet and started tumbling in the air... it was amazing.

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Mating Season For The Ravens
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 10:17:08 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:23:30 PM by Raven »
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:38:38 PM by Raven »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:45:18 PM »

nichi

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:30 PM »
Awesome gift to witness!!

Offline elliot

• Sadhu
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »
it would seem to me that the act of falling in the midst of courtship would signify the helplessness of it all.

beautiful

"O great creator of being, grant us one more hour / to perform our art and perfect our lives."    Jim Morrison

Jahn

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 03:36:55 AM »
While driving home from town yesterday my son and I got to witness the courtship of two ravens. We watched in the distance as they danced together, brushing wings and diving in display. As we got closer they locked feet and started tumbling in the air... it was amazing.

Hmm, hehheh eeehh

now I know the sound of two crows ... hmm, making a couple.
I was sitting at the porch and heard some gargling undefined sound from "their" tree. Ok, I thought they are at peace with each other, while my wife, later could tell me what they really were at peace with. Never gave it a thought, but of course, we look forward to see the result of that action. The Crows must live on! Onward!

.~.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:40:17 AM by Jahn »

erik

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 04:50:52 AM »
Adding a bit naturalistic note - I saw on a weekend a serious battle between two hooded crows and a raven. Crows were seriously angry and kept attacking the raven. The raven just went higher and higher until crows let it be. The raven tried apparently to eat the eggs of crows.

Nature - births and deaths walk hand in hand.

erik

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »
Today I saw two ravens who were ferociously attacked by a lonely crow who was much smaller than ravens. Yet one raven escaped and the other had to fight hard against a much smaller crow!

Ravens are not that common sight here, so I'm wondering what is it that I'm being shown?

Ravens are frightening predators for smaller birds (as are crows). They look for tiniest of chance to totally destroy the nests and eat eggs of small birds. I'd guess all these fights are about that. But what else am I seeing?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 06:52:41 AM by Sundance Kid »

Jahn

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 06:38:02 PM »

Dammit! The same fights over here.
You all know I have been talking about the young crows that have their nest close to our garden in a top of a fir. This morning I was out in that direction working on a scaffolding when I saw a Raven followed by one crow heading toward the nest. the Crow tried to stop that Raven but didn't succeed so the raven was left alone a while outside the nest. I felt for interferring so I started to clap my hands. Two sharp claps followed by another two and so on for about ten claps, just to disturb that Raven.

After these claps the first Crow had fetched the other so they could attack in a pair and that made it. When the Raven and the two Crows left they flew over my head and I made a loud warrior sound just when they passed.

The family is worst, "or preserve me from my relatives" as it is told in English.

~*~

nichi

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 06:54:45 PM »
I have something similar always going on in this area, though especially during nesting season.
Your Raven would be my Crow, and your Crow would be my Jay. (All corvids.)  (Ravens are not in my area -- some say they are further inland, I'll just take their word for it.)

Here, the main corvids are jays and crows.
Indeed, a Jay would be mighty upset at a Crow for coming too close to the nest -- or a hawk or other potential predator/invader. You'd see the same "mobbing" behavior from Jay to Crow.

But here's something interesting.

Bring Hawk or Snake into the area, and suddenly, the Jays and Crows join forces. And such a ruckus they raise! You can hear the screams and mobbing from down the street, and if you get a glimpse, there is the "poor" harassed hawk (and sometimes owl) moving from tree to tree, while the corvids relentlessly caw and sound out the alarm. Other jays and crows fly in just for the occassion, and wow, the protest is unmistakable!

"or preserve me from my relatives"

Heheh, know what you mean, Jahn. A lot of folks don't like jays. And while I think they are misunderstood, because of their sheer size compared to the other songbirds, they have a reputation for thievery ... which they might have earned. I do believe the Jays steal the robins' eggs...

And I love Crows ... they are friends. But I have seen them flying overhead with a small bird in their talons, kicking and crying.

And so the food chain goeth! Blessed Nature!  :-*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:12:26 PM by nichi »

Jahn

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 01:09:32 AM »

This is what the jay looks like here, there are a couple in the garden now and then but they don't live here.

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 01:55:39 AM »
Dammit! The same fights over here.

Interesting that you choose to interfere. I mean at the end of the day this is the natural process right, why should we interfere? I suppose it is one thing if a fellow human was messing around with the crows, but the raven and crow have a relationship of their own. Do you understand the intricacies of their world well enough to interfere? Perhaps this was the crows battle something they had to do on their own. 
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Jahn

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 02:49:46 AM »
Interesting that you choose to interfere. I mean at the end of the day this is the natural process right, why should we interfere? I suppose it is one thing if a fellow human was messing around with the crows, but the raven and crow have a relationship of their own. Do you understand the intricacies of their world well enough to interfere? Perhaps this was the crows battle something they had to do on their own. 

I did act simply because these young crows belong to the family and the Raven was an intruder.

nichi

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »

Ian, I'm guessing you were speaking to Jahn, but I wanted to jump in, hope that's okay.

I'm not saying that humans are always wise creatures, but creatures we are, with our own natures -- and "interfering" (especially with that which occurs right in our own backyard) seems to be part of our nature!

I remember having this moment years and years ago, when some semi-feral cats were about to go at it right on my patio steps. I wanted to break it up -- it looked like it was going to get bloody.  Part of me said, "Vicki, don't interfere --- it's nature!"
Then the other part came in quickly to comment,  "But I am nature too!"

How is it that we separate ourselves mentally so easily from "nature"? How do we see ourselves as apart from it?  What is it that makes us create this "us" and "them" division. 

Sometimes we err.  Sometimes, no matter what we do or don't, the outcome isn't a happy one. When spirit leads a life-and-death situation to one's backdoor, the answer is never simple or obvious. But we are being asked ... to do something --  be it intervention, be it nothing.   We're always learning, and could be we've all agreed to learn something together.

It's like a silent contract, when we are so drawn together.
What I see is that the lesson is for all involved.
Spirit is in everything, eh?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk