Author Topic: Gurdjieff's books  (Read 303 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Gurdjieff's books
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:19:43 AM »
G penned numerous books or booklets, but there are three that are the main ones:

Meetings with Remarkable Men
This is designed to be read first. it is by far the easiest. It's intent is to posit a different purpose to life and our desire for achievement. This is very important, as even those of us who have spiritual yearnings are still loaded beneath the weight of the world's purposes. In this book, G demonstrated a dedication and single-mindedness of a group of aspirants, many of whom never made it to their goal.

It shows to those who first come upon the path, that there are some who take it extremely seriously, and align their full commitment to attaining real knowledge, yet still don't find it. That the way to reaching real knowledge is long and difficult, plus we have to drop most of our first enthusiasms, and only after despair and sustained effort will the doorway open. Real knowledge is not something we can demand while drinking a beer and watching TV.

Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson: All And Everything.
This is his primary work, and took him a long time to write. He wrote it twice. The first version he scrapped because it didn't work. G used to have parts read out to an audience, while he watched the audience. The first version explained what he wanted to say, but it was too clearly written.

G discovered that unless a person is under some stress, any info that goes in is not worth much. This is the same principle as birth pains. We humans have a habit of not valuing anything we haven't paid for. So he re-wrote the book making it extremely difficult to read. That way he was able to get the reader to exude the correct energy - this type of energy can only be produced when a person seeks essential truth through great effort. It was the production of this type of energy that he realised was necessary for the future evolution of the planet, or it would settle for masses of lower energy which it could get from wars and famines. This is all tied up with the laws of compensation.

The other purpose to Beelzebub's Tales was to demonstrate a new way of thinking, and to inculcate this deeply into the reader. He wanted to obliterate the old thinking which we are brought up to in the world. Then to replace it with new neurological pathways.

Life Is Real Only Then, When I Am
This was to be read last, once the reader was thoroughly familiar with his view of existence and its meaning.

There are other booklets which he produced earlier in his journey, and they are also very interesting.

Jahn

Re: Gurdjieff's books
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:55:07 AM »
Real knowledge is not something we can demand while drinking a beer and watching TV.

[

Right! One must stop watching the TV and only pay attention to the beer.  ;D

Jahn

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:58:28 AM »
So he re-wrote the book making it extremely difficult to read. That way he was able to get the reader to exude the correct energy - this type of energy can only be produced when a person seeks essential truth through great effort.

What a tricky guy.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:03:32 AM »
You being playing with Photoshop Jahn?

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:39:10 AM »
Right! One must stop watching the TV and only pay attention to the beer.  ;D

I prefer eating my soup without a spoon, a much better correlation.
the spoon is too much of a distraction and a waist of time, effort, and energy. eating without the spoon is also much more authentic.  ;D
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:48:18 AM »
and you also eat curries with your hands?

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »
Yes! Of course I eat all things with my hands esp. curries ass this helps to develop Will. You see when the pain of the acidic juices kicks in it becomes a struggle between the desire to use a spoon or to continue eating with the hands.

And, God knows, if I paid a lot of money for those curries I am definitely not going to stop eating them!

Of course this is what I know of curry that it is a hot spicy dish. Of course there is also the rice that is usually in curry, as I understand, and this is also about Will and patience. I will each each grain of rice one at a time, and as a not-doing I will pick up each grain with numerous variations of different figures and toes of which I am not accustomed to using. Even with my toes it must be only one grain at a time, this is my chosen suffering which I will use to purify my soul!

oh and let us not forget snorting curry! not only does curry then induce hallucinogenic experiences but it also serves as much better aphrodisiac......
except of course some of the rice gets stuck between the lobs in your brain if you snort to forcibly. of course it develops Will to cut open your skull and pick out the grains with your feat. caution: this part requires a medical degree.   :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:44:46 AM by Ian »
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 05:52:31 PM »
i usually blow the rice out my nose, after its gone in my mouth

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:33:21 PM »
Yes, I've heard of this technique used in yoga to cleans the sinuses but with water not rice. I will have to try it with rice. I guess that would solve the previously mentioned need for brain surgery after snorting rice.

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
Did you know that if one keeps ones eyes closed for long enough one can fall asleep?
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:21:47 PM »
Did you know that if one keeps ones eyes closed for long enough one can fall asleep?

no, this is not true.  :P

okay, I'm done being facetious.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:27:03 PM by Ian »

Jahn

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 03:33:18 AM »
You being playing with Photoshop Jahn?

Close guess, I am exploring the standard filters in Microsoft Picture It.
That filter is called "mosaic".

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 07:45:49 AM »
looks good jahn

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2023, 08:27:01 AM »
I was able to order these for 99 cents each on my kindle. :D
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan
Agree Agree x 1 View List

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk