Author Topic: Lets Drum!  (Read 339 times)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Lets Drum!
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:00:32 PM »
It all started with a dream....

I found myself sitting with a man making a drum, he'd tap it gently and smile at me.

Following the lead of my dreamer I started researching on how to make myself one.. I presented it on my forum and a friend jumped on it with photos of his hoping it might help my task. About a week later he emailed me and offered to send the drum to me, he said it had been sitting in his shed outside for quite some time and it needed a good home. Thrilled the drum arrived here in my woods a few weeks later, and Ive not stopped drumming since!

The passion grew swiftly and soon I started playing around and making drums out of anything I could get my hands on. I knew if I made a drum, Id find someone to join me in playing them. Thus far I have about 20 here at my house and we spend a good amount of time gathered and playing into the nights.

I spend a great deal of time drumming alone, almost daily.

First I'll share some of the ones Ive made in hopes of inspiring some of you to take the leap in making your own. :)

This is my sweatlodge drum. Its a rather thick deer skin head that I used to cover a wooden barrel. Then did some pyrography on the sides. Its a deep healing drumbeat and sounds best when sweaty and wet.

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Lets Drum!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:13:34 PM »
My husband often teases that nothing is safe from the idea of a drum here at our house *grins*

I spotted some construction piping in my back yard and had it cut to size, covered the head using a synthetic material and also drilled some large holes in the sides.

These can be used as hand drums but are used most by my husband with drum sticks. Each has a different tone and sound great inside or outside.

(the synthetic material allows for outside use taking the weather, I take great care in my natural hide drum skins and often cant use them due to the weather)

These are all of that construction pipe.

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Taimi

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:10 PM »
what did you use to make the drawings?

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:19:20 PM »
Some purchased pieces...

These are great fun! I often use the large black one. :)

This one I gifted my son for his 13th birthday.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 09:20:22 PM »
what did you use to make the drawings?

The wood burning tool we spoke of :)!!!

Taimi

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:21:18 PM »
those drawings on the covering are also done with that?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:35:57 PM by Rubina »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:41:16 PM »
oops.. no.. I got tangled up in the post order.. sorry. :)

All the rest is done in acrlic paint and sealed with a spray.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »
This is the drum I use the most and for all my working. Its also the one I received via my dream.

When the spirit of the drum is awake... it plays itself.

I recieved it plain.. and did all the 'decor'

snake skin

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 09:47:15 PM »
"The drum is an essential tool for the shaman. It is complex with diverse symbols. The drum is thought to be made of wood form the Cosmic tree at the center of the world. The shaman is transported to the Cosmic Tree when playing the drum. Because the shaman is able to travel to other planes via his drum, the drum is often called the shaman's "horse".           --Eliade

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 10:01:27 PM »
Any drummers in the house?

Taimi

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:19:03 PM »
I tried drumming first time about two years ago. within seconds it almost carried me away, later it was harder to repeat this because then i already had expectations and thoughts about it.
I was fascinated by the pattern thing which M also described in the 'trance drumming' thread. that is exactly how i experienced it - first tried a simple pattern and then more creatively from pattern to freeform. or actually i didn't try that consciously, it just went like that by itself.
I haven't drummed for quite a long time because i don't have my own drum. if i had i would also need a car  ::)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:31:58 PM »
Cool :) 

With more use I bet you tap that ride once again, it often takes me a bit to wake things up and start moving.

Maybe you could make one!

You can really drum on anything.. table top.. trees... plastic buckets, coffee cans...

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:46 PM »
Puniu - Hawaiian Knee Drum

http://www.primitiveways.com/puniu.html

Taimi

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 10:37:38 PM »
yes maybe i could make one. the bad thing is that i have almost no tools at my home. that's how it is - a girl living alone  >:(  and they are quite expensive

what did you use as a covering material?

Cool :) 

With more use I bet you tap that ride once again, it often takes me a bit to wake things up and start moving.

Maybe you could make one!

You can really drum on anything.. table top.. trees... plastic buckets, coffee cans...

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »
I purchased the one for my son on ebay and it was about $30.00 US (not too bad really)

I researched everywhere to see what I could use in place of the hide and couldnt really find anything other then a suggesting of "packing cloth" which I have no idea what that is.

I found a vinal type of stuff at a fabric shop that I think ppl must use for table clothes, or covering for seats. Its got give to so you can stretch it. Maybe one of those plastic table coverings for outside tables would work...

I plan to give real hide a try this hunting season. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk