Author Topic: Soma Book Club?  (Read 635 times)

erismoksha

Soma Book Club?
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:57:37 AM »
I was wondering if anyone wanted to do like Oprah does, and do a thing where we read the same book, and go over or discuss it. Some books you can even get at the library, then we could read like, say 100 pages first week, go over things we read/learned, discuss and so forth.

Im doing that at the Zendo with the book Practicing the Path by Yangsi Rinpoche:
http://www.amazon.com/Practicing-Path-Commentary-Lamrim-Chenmo/dp/086171346X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9553105-0300734?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191542166&sr=1-1

That's about Tibetan Buddhism, Bodhisattva path, etc.

I know we do this with CC books already, but thinking, something new? Anyway, let me know, if there is a book anyone is reading, or wants to I may be able to check it out, would be cool to do something like that in here.

nichi

Re: Soma Book Club?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:00:04 AM »
Sounds good .... We rather have a platform for that in the "Books" folder, eh?

If you hit on a book I have somewhere, I'll join in!

erismoksha

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:04:33 AM »
Sounds good .... We rather have a platform for that in the "Books" folder, eh?

If you hit on a book I have somewhere, I'll join in!

Well Im gonna get that book next week, per amazon. Ive got many books I could suggest, myself. Im also reading right now Practicing the Path by Kornfield(almost done),  The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche, and Awakening to the Sacred by Lama Surya Das. So, dunno what anyone else is reading or wants to. Im game. 

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:17:59 AM »
that's a wonderful idea - you set can run it ellen

but you would have to find a book everyone wanted to read, or could get hold of.

I'm about to start "The Yogins of Ladakh" myself - but i read a paragraph a week at best. And I'm still in the middle of a book on Banaras and one on Kundalini.

to be honest i think you might be pushing it uphill, but don't let that stop a try.

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »

to be honest i think you might be pushing it uphill, but don't let that stop a try.

Heh....sounds like a great 'opportunity.'  ;)

z
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

erismoksha

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 11:21:30 AM »
Well if everyone tosses in suggestions then im sure, out of the gazillion books in the world, this little group could agree on one book to read, right?

Im game, anyone have anything they either want to read or are thinking about reading. Shouldnt be something you've read twenty times either - something fairly new.

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »
Well if everyone tosses in suggestions then im sure, out of the gazillion books in the world, this little group could agree on one book to read, right?

Im game, anyone have anything they either want to read or are thinking about reading. Shouldnt be something you've read twenty times either - something fairly new.

Damn....guess that leaves 'Cat in the Hat' out.

z
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

erismoksha

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:40:23 AM »
Damn....guess that leaves 'Cat in the Hat' out.

z

Oh, uh uh Zam.... shame on you.

Of COURSE we can read Cat in the Hat! If you ask me nicely though....

I think the Cat in the Had made a very nice Don Juan....  ;D

erismoksha

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
I mean, lets think about this, we've got the ally cause there's no way, Cat in the Hat, didnt get the kids stoned with all of the odd fuzzy things running around. Tore up the house, he walks in, opens up the Crack - turns it all upside down. I would say, yes, there are some good lessons in Cat in the Hat. Sure!

Mescalito - look again, he's involved:

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 11:57:26 AM »

Mescalito - look again, he's involved:

We didn't see well together...

Ayahuasca on the other hand......a most wonderful parallel.

z

erismoksha

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »
We didn't see well together...

Ayahuasca on the other hand......a most wonderful parallel.

z

Kidding? Did you go to the Amazon for that?

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »
Kidding? Did you go to the Amazon for that?

No kidding. 

Yes, I was fortunate to spend a good deal of time in South America.

z

erismoksha

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »
No kidding. 

Yes, I was fortunate to spend a good deal of time in South America.

z

Ah, well you'll have to share your experiences there one of these days when ready, hopefully?  ;)

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

I like the idea.  I'm reading Gurdjieff's "Meetings with Remarkable Men" right now, and also rereading some CC. 

I've read "Cat in the Hat" quite a few times...I know more than twenty, so that's definitely out! ;) ...sorry Zam ;(

But seriously...sounds like fun. :)

Ang
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

erismoksha

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 02:38:52 AM »
We should probably pick a book none of us have read though.

What about The Secret?
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Rhonda-Byrne/dp/1582701709/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-3978131-9936445?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191602284&sr=8-1

Has anyone read that one yet? I heard its pretty good, and should be pretty accessible even at the library.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk