Author Topic: Offended again  (Read 215 times)

SoulFire

Offended again
« on: August 05, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »
This is what I am currently working on.  (One of the many things of course)  I am not feeling sorry for myself.  Just talking through it, seeing from a different perspective.

While I understand, and practice not being offended as much as I am able, when I am aware of it, I realized recently that, at least for me, there is another end of the spectrum where offendedness is concerned.

It is easy enough for me, when I feel someone’s words jab me in the gut or the heart, to stop and say, “hey that hurt; let’s try to figure out why.”

But what I’ve noticed lately is that I tend to go overboard in this area as it concerns the other guy.  I tend to worry that something I do or say might possibly offend the next person.  And so often times go out of my way to say things just the right way or even say nothing at all.  A blank answer or comment. 

I realize this is my self importance at play, along with a certain amount of fear.  This has been a pattern of mine for obviously quite a long while.  I most likely learned it from living with a violent alcoholic father.  It became necessary for me to be very careful what I said so as not to piss him off.   Walking on eggshells became second nature to me. 

I suppose that living with my ex husband only strengthened and perpetuated my need to consider and anticipate the other person’s reaction and or action before it happened and most times, before I had even spoken.

So I find that, in the majority of instances, conversations and communications in my life have been governed by this learned response.  My anticipation of the other person’s reaction had become a way for me to decide nearly every response, reply or comment I would make.  And fast forwarding and playing out possible scenarios in my head of the way things could, or might turn out was just like breathing to me.  I could do it in my sleep.

But I am realizing now that, if I am able to let myself get offended and then deal with the consequences, stalking my reactions, well then I should afford others the same opportunity to do this for themselves. 

I should step back and let them worry about whether and if they choose to be offended.  People are going to feel how they feel whether or not I am in the picture.  But if something I say or do triggers a hidden emotion or reaction, so be it.  It’s actually a good thing, in the end.  It gives me a chance to see my fears and them a way to see themselves through me and gives both of us a chance to keep  self importance in check.  Thus, giving us both a step forward on the path and hopefully bringing us that much closer to freedom.

So instead of worrying needlessly over the reactions of others, I want to drop my own self importance and be able to say what I need to say, the way I need to say it, without stressing over whether or not somebody’s feelings will be hurt by my words. I need to speak from my heart, not from my fear.

:-*

somnium

Re: Offended again
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »
So instead of worrying needlessly over the reactions of others, I want to drop my own self importance and be able to say what I need to say, the way I need to say it, without stressing over whether or not somebody’s feelings will be hurt by my words. I need to speak from my heart, not from my fear.

That's an awesome realisation Lori-ann,
You remind me of one of my favorite quotes.

A warrior lives by acting,
not by thinking about acting,
nor by thinking about what he will think
when he has finished acting.

SoulFire

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »
That's an awesome realisation Lori-ann,
You remind me of one of my favorite quotes.

A warrior lives by acting,
not by thinking about acting,
nor by thinking about what he will think
when he has finished acting.

Thanks dude

But the realizing is the easy part...
It's the acting that I gotta work on.
Heh, its uncomfortable.
 :-\

nichi

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »
Good points all, Lori, and it sounds like a productive nuance in the ebb and flow of communication -- to not worry so much about how a thing will be received.

And all the better too, because usually when we start suppressing our responses routinely, it's all seeping out anyway (especially energetically!) The suppressed thing becomes detectable in unexpected ways, beyond our control, like a steam-cooker about to explode. The unsaid-thing also picks up a lot more drama while it sits, stewing within, than it might have had otherwise..
So one might as well state the thing -- appropriately, constructively, etc. (We'll always be responsible for our words, whether they come out in ease or in struggle. Especially as warriors.)

Good challenge for self and good for you!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:22:31 PM by Nichi »

Jahn

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:09:27 AM »

:-*

Sounds like music to my ears.

somnium

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 02:41:42 AM »
But the realizing is the easy part...
It's the acting that I gotta work on.
I agree.
A realisation is not worth anything, unless we use it to shift us.  Like the building of a habit, the more you do it the easier it is, and we can gain the trust in ourselves. Like stalking the items of our dreams, slowly we shift and gain cohesion.  I think just acting for the hell of it, with abandon, is like a heavy burden being lifted.

Also the moment of knowing, or seeing, is in the moment, it is instant.  Anything else that comes after are just doubts and expectations. Knowing this makes simply acting, a powerful act of trusting ones body.

SoulFire

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 08:45:59 AM »
I agree.
A realisation is not worth anything, unless we use it to shift us.  Like the building of a habit, the more you do it the easier it is, and we can gain the trust in ourselves. Like stalking the items of our dreams, slowly we shift and gain cohesion.  I think just acting for the hell of it, with abandon, is like a heavy burden being lifted.

Yeah Derek,
abandon...
thats what I want 8)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:57:37 AM by SoulFire »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk