Author Topic: The Other Person  (Read 114 times)

nichi

The Other Person
« on: August 05, 2006, 05:18:46 PM »
The Other Person

A man was rowing his boat upstream on a very misty morning. Suddenly, he saw another boat coming downstream, not trying to avoid him. It was coming straight at him. He shouted, "Be careful! Be careful!" but the boat came right into him, and his boat was almost sunk. The man became very angry, and began to shout at the other person, to give him a piece of his own mind. But when he looked closely, he saw that there was no one in the other boat. It turned out that the boat just got loose and went downstream. All his anger vanished, and he laughed and laughed.

Thich Nhat Hanh
ESSENTIAL WRITINGS
Seeds of Compassion

Offline daphne

• Rishi
Re: The Other Person
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »
I love these short snippets!
This one reminds me of the 2 monks and the one monk carrying the woman across the river and the other carrying on and on and on about it...  whenever I find myself getting stuck on something, I remember this story! Now I have another one to remember - the boat one!

:):-*
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

nichi

Re: The Other Person
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 05:32:48 PM »
Oh yeah! Love that monk story!  :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk