Author Topic: Delicate Sound of Thunder  (Read 124 times)

Jahn

Delicate Sound of Thunder
« on: October 25, 2007, 04:01:38 AM »

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond  
2. Learning To Fly  
3. Yet Another Movie  
4. Round And Round  
5. Sorrow  
6. The Dogs Of War
7. On The Turning Away

Disc: 2    
1. One Of These Days  
2. Time  
3. Wish You Were Here  
4. Us & Them    
5. Money    
6. Another Brick In The Wall Part II    
7. Comfortably Numb
8. Run Like Hell  

Original Release Date: November 22, 1988

Jahn

Comfortably Numb
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:26:57 AM »
Comfortably Numb

Well -That is it - The Ultimate - what we can produce ...
(Comfortably Numb from the October 20th, 1994 Show at Earls Court on the Division Bell Tour )

Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?
Come on, now,
I hear you're feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain
Get you on your feet again.
Relax.
I'll need some information first.
Just the basic facts.
Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

O.K.
Just a little pinprick.
There'll be no more aaaaaaaaah!
But you may feel a little sick.
Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working, good.
That'll keep you going through the show
Come on it's time to go.

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown,
The dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

Pink Floyd

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: Delicate Sound of Thunder
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »
Interesting you bring up this album Jahn - this was the first of theirs I didn't buy, and never bought any after either. I stopped at the one with the burning man on the cover, which also featured 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'. He's dead now of course - tho it was so strange how he came into the studio when they were working on that song - no one recognised him at first, he had changed so much.

As I said earlier, had a dream with them a few nights ago - they were one of my three most potent influences in my early music, Hendrix and Cohen being the others.

I don't know exactly why I stopped listening to them - I do recall listening to the Wall album, and being so impressed with their musicianship, but somehow I couldn't find the magic there anymore. They had become too professional or something. Also I felt they were talking to a younger generation to me from then on - I felt outside, for the first time with them. I also felt that with the burning man album, but it was so good, I didn't mind.

Then I switched cultures - a friend of mine was a musicologist at the uni, who gave me the keys to their musicological library, where I discovered music from cultures I had never heard before, and especially trance music. After listening to music like that of Amazon Indians from their three day non-stop ceremony for the dead, I think I never went back to western music, except the fringe type.

I still love Pink Floyd tho (and Jimi and Cohen). I never listen to Jimi anymore because his specific guitar sound is no longer relevant to the world's sound, but his musicianship is still unsurpassed.

Jahn

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 04:07:43 AM »
After listening to music like that of Amazon Indians from their three day non-stop ceremony for the dead, I think I never went back to western music, except the fringe type.

Well M, you know that I am stuck in old rock'n roll. Stones, Roxy Music, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Eurythmics, Anastasia, Neil Young, Zappa - you name it. I have a kind of wall to that kind of culture music that you mention, whether it be from India, European classic or native. Not that I can't find that that type of music have fine qualities or great rythm but it simply doesn't belong to "me". As for litterature and regarding music I am on a elementary level.

But it is one type of native music that gets me to the heart and bone. Peruvian flutes. They just get inside and lift me up in a second. A pity that I haven't bought any records of that but I suppose I never knew where to find it? Some celtic choirs can get me a high too.

I can't remember when I bought this album with old Pink, but it was in my collection and during my years of transformation in the early 2000's it had great impact on me. Especially these songs that I have presented here.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 04:41:10 PM »
Michael - LOL - One of the Guests were reading this. Floyd speaking!

Telling ya, got unboxed last year ;) They are behind a lot of magical shit right now!

This is the CD I found at Adventures Underground this past weekend. The one with the Pyramid too. :)

"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk