Author Topic: Living in the Now  (Read 2303 times)

Jahn

Re: Living in the Now
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2007, 05:08:20 AM »
Could you then somehow separate your own thoughts from quotations? E.g outline the text of Reid as a quotation?

Like you wanted Juhani to condensate and comment Kris Raphael.

nichi

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2007, 05:10:39 AM »
I just want to jump in and say this.
We all quote others in this forum ... it can't really be a valid bone of contention at this juncture, can it? So long as one is crediting the author? In this thread, be it Kris Raphael, Clive Reid, Olga Kharatidi, or whomever, it would be a strange thing to make issue of, that we've quoted them.

I've observed different intentions when others have been quoted:
1) To be informative, as with our news items in "We're Stuffed", or in the many explications in the different religion folders, and
2) To bring another idea to light, which we either love for the idea's sake or we love for the writer's sake. Or both, as with the host of passages from CC.   In that case we share, and we probably presume there that no one could have said it better, least of all ourselves.

Ideally, the beloved passages get some follow-up from us, but sometimes the passages stand as is -- at least representing what we might have said ourselves, had we had the capability.    In either case, though, discussion would always seem to be fair game.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2007, 05:31:23 AM »
Nothing wrong with quoting. Nice to know which is a quote and which is the writer's own views.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2007, 05:56:07 AM »

Nothing wrong with quoting. Nice to know which is a quote and which is the writer's own views.

Sometimes.

Sometimes I like to just read and delve into the words.  Don't concern myself with who wrote them.  Really focus on what's written, what the author's attempting to convey, and how I'm interpreting it. 

Let me explain.

This was part of an experiment for myself.  Part of Stalking myself.

I've found it almost magical at times when I read something from someone I've never read or heard of before.  The awareness/perception is enhanced.

I find that when I read something or someone that I already have a pre-conceived notion about, it's then classified into a catagory, such as, "Oh, this person is a Doctor, so s/he must know what s/he's talking about."  Or, "I've never really cared for this persons thoughts in the past," so it's tainted with my judgement of that past notion.

Yes, we should just read what's written.  Yes, we should make it clear who wrote what.

Sometimes...ah well.

z

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

erismoksha

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
Absolutely - there is a huge number of permanent relationships - they just happen to span more than only this life. Where is the 'now' now?

ALL relationships are impermanent. The key word in that statement is 'relationships.'

erismoksha

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2007, 06:20:22 AM »
Have you heard about karma?

Most people have, Juhani. Are you trying to teach Zam something? Or have you been being abrasive because you feel threatened cause you lack the knowledge he does?

Who were your parents in your previous life? Why were you born to them?

Who cares...

Who do you encounter in your life and why? Etc. We are all gonna die on the physical plain, but there is a difference in the depth of realisation of it and that the death is not the end of it. That is also living in 'now'.

Physical plane. The ego is merely a swinging door blowing between the realm of life and death - which when you understand that - its all one and the same

Do you know what karma is? What's your idea on karma? Note: im not asking for a trite definition...

erismoksha

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2007, 06:21:14 AM »
Then you should be prepared for criticism as well.

Same goes for you. The only thing you ever do is criticize folks, unless of course, you consider them up a rung or two above you.

And that is very rare....

erismoksha

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2007, 06:22:22 AM »
As to what 'everyone' agrees upon, I'd be careful in making general comments such as these....or are you speaking for 'everyone' now?

Heck no....

Keep going Zam - you're doing well and Ive been enjoying your input on this thread.

erismoksha

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2007, 06:25:04 AM »
Could you then somehow separate your own thoughts from quotations? E.g outline the text of Reid as a quotation?

Juhani, coming from you this is quite stunning. You do more quoting and using other people's thoughts to validate what you want to express, and pale in comparison, when trying to formulate your own theory on anything at all. Maybe you should try to practice what you preach, once in awhile, and write something, yourself on, and share some of your own knowledge. Ive never seen you do it, and you wont because, you dont have any of your own.

If you spent your energy trying to learn, and gain knowledge, and practice and implement what you learn, vs criticizing others and trying to put them down because your ego is so fragile and threatened by anyone else who possesses what you wish you had, perhaps you'd learn something for your own self.

erismoksha

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2007, 06:27:37 AM »
And dont get mad at me Michael. Sometimes bluntness and a boot is necessary. Like on this thread.

Back to the Now, for gods sakes......

nichi

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
Back to the Now, for gods sakes......

If I understand the concept accurately, we never left the "Now".
 :)

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »
Sometimes.

Sometimes I like to just read and delve into the words.  Don't concern myself with who wrote them.  Really focus on what's written, what the author's attempting to convey, and how I'm interpreting it. 

Let me explain.

This was part of an experiment for myself.  Part of Stalking myself.

I've found it almost magical at times when I read something from someone I've never read or heard of before.  The awareness/perception is enhanced.

I find that when I read something or someone that I already have a pre-conceived notion about, it's then classified into a catagory, such as, "Oh, this person is a Doctor, so s/he must know what s/he's talking about."  Or, "I've never really cared for this persons thoughts in the past," so it's tainted with my judgement of that past notion.

Yes, we should just read what's written.  Yes, we should make it clear who wrote what.

Sometimes...ah well.

z

Hmm Zam.., you saying my wanting to know which part of your post is quoted and which part is your own stuff may result in my reading of said post being tainted with judgement?    ;)

Nice experiment you mentioned in stalking yourself. Yes.. it does help should the need arise!   :P
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »
And dont get mad at me Michael. Sometimes bluntness and a boot is necessary. Like on this thread.

Interesting thing about bluntness and boot - often its just because we don't agree with the other! Nothing wrong with that, except that sometimes.. (nice new word you introduced here, Zam!   ;) ) well sometimes.. we don't agree because we just have different perceptions of a situation.
Interesting thing perceptions.. sometimes they even show us stuff.. and then we can get to stalking them!!

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
If I understand the concept accurately, we never left the "Now".
 :)

:D

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2007, 06:54:47 PM »
The interesting thing is that all our relationships are temporary.  Can you think of a single permanent relationship?  Mother?  Father?  An old and dear friend?  They all die eventually.  Or move away.  Or change.  Just as you and I change and grow.  If we cushion ourselves against deep involvement because someday we may lose the person, we only cheat ourselves and them as well.

So why not celebrate those relationships now while we have them?  And while we can appreciate them?  Even if we have them for just a day, or a week, or a year.

Me:  Look, we both feel pain at losing Jim, because we loved him.  I don't want to deny that pain for a moment.  Be we can also rejoice that we had him for twenty-four years.  We did know him, and he did enrich our lives during that time.  Why not celebrate what we did have rather than grieve what we can't have?

Impermanence. That is Buddha's cornerstone. No matter how long we look into any version of the future, no how deeply we look into 'Now', we still reach a point where everything drops away - everything.

I like your stories Zam, it brings out your point. Regret and the pain of loss are such a big thing these days - everyone wants 'closure' which usually means someone has to be convicted in court! Madness! If we cherish what we have now, we can afford to let go. But I know many who know this intellectually, but not emotionally - that is the difficult part.

And you are right, we can celebrate our pain, but that is a bit advanced me thinks...  ;)

I should add I usually don't say much on the 'Now' issue, as I see 'Now' as a journey - takes a long time to come to where Now really is, and I for one haven't got there yet. But I'm using every tool I know to reach it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk