Author Topic: Recapitulate  (Read 658 times)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Recapitulate
« on: August 10, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »
How to Recapitulate
by Castaneda

Begin by creating a secure sacred space and time for yourself. Since there are no caves available to most of us, do your best in the environment you have. Perhaps you will find a place in nature, a quiet room, at your altar, or you might build a small plywood box to sit in (see The Teachings of don Carlos, by Victor Sanchez, page 80). Whatever you choose, do it with care and with respect for the power of the process you are entering.

Using one piece of your inventory, focus on a person, incident, or other memory. It might be something that is first on a list, or it might be whatever presents itself to you in the moment. Use your breath to pull it toward you. Inhale, pulling, pulling from the past into the present, and begin to feel the experience in your body. The body sensations from the emotions involved are more important than the thoughts or memories about the incident.

Feel your emotional memories and reactions in your body. Experience the incident fully, but without getting lost in the feelings or victimized by the emotions. Feel and know the truth that you believe about the incident. Then become the eagle and fly high. Look down on that moment in your life, and the people involved. See the long stretch of time before and after the incident.

Perhaps you can see several generations of families, and see their pain, fear, distractions, strategies, and their parasites domesticating the participants. The eagle sees the perfection of it all. The eagle sees where the succession of generations upon generations have created the moment of this event.

Perhaps you are recapitulating a time when your Mother punished you very harshly for something you did not do. Or your mate fell in love with someone else and left you. Or your landlord threw you out of the house you just painted. Your boss gave your promotion to someone else. A friend is late again, meeting you for lunch. Your probation officer refuses to believe your true story about why you did not call him. Your mother disowned you because you got arrested for drunk driving. You feel intense guilt because of an abortion.

In recapitulation, we see a bigger truth: That mom was not punishing you because there was something defective about you, she is not a the victimizer, she is simply being the mom that she was. Your mate left because your mate left. The landlord threw you out because he wanted his friend to live there.

Your boss gave the promotion to someone else because she was actually more qualified than you. Your friend runs late most of the time. Your probation officer is overworked, and did not listen to your story clearly. Your mother was afraid of what how her friends would judge her about your DUI. You did your best when you chose to have an abortion.

Your boss, landlord, and friend are just being themselves. The important part is to have the eagle communicate that reality to the part that feels like a victim -- to help the Victim see that they are really just a player in a huge drama, interconnected through time and space, and in that drama you and others came together being just yourselves, and in the shortest little twinkle of time you then passed each other and went away. There was no real victim and no real perpetrator. There is simply the pattern, the interconnection, the action and reaction, the cause and effect.

In the moment the Victim self shifts to the new assemblage point, you will feel the shift in your body. The victim perspective of powerlessness and hurt disappears, and you are set free from this memory. Use your exhaled breath then, to express your intent to release the person or incident, gently and thoroughly, feeling it float away until it is gone.

We call this freedom "forgiveness." It is not the forgiveness we are used to, the one that says "I forgive you because you victimized me and I am spiritually evolved now and I know I should forgive perpetrators, and I hope you rot in Hell!" It is the forgiveness that comes from knowing that there is no victim or perpetrator.

This is the forgiveness that comes when you know there is nothing to forgive.

This forgiveness is the one that cleans the emotional poison from the wounds of the past. The formula is: truth, forgiveness, love. Truth is the scalpel that opens the wound so it can be cleaned. The first truth is: "There is a wound here. I am responding to this situation and acting the way I am because of my emotional wound and my poison, not because of what anyone else is doing to me." That is the first truth. It is the end of blame and the beginning of responsibility as the Warrior.

The second truth is that there is no victim or perpetrator, only the unfolding of the mysterious universe. From that truth comes the forgiveness that isn't forgiveness but simply the releasing of the "victim" assemblage point, which cleans the emotional poison from the wound.

Love, self love, is the antiseptic and bandage that you put on the wound. Your love for yourself keeps that victim perspective out of that experience while the healing is completed. Ultimately, you have a scar you can be proud of, and when someone touches that place, it no longer hurts.

Your awareness opens the door to the transformation which you manifest through your Inventory and Recapitulation. That is the action of the Warrior. When the emotional wounds are clean, you become more and more in control of your attention. You are no longer a puppet, controlled by what other people do or say. You chose your emotional responses and you become a master of your dream.

The door is opened. The Warrior steps through.
Inventory is the memory of everyone you have interacted with in your lifeā€¦ make a list of everyone you have every met that you can remember, as you start this list names will come back to you. You may want to start by making a list of every place you have lived then remember the people there.

<<<Not sure who this was written by.. not CC as suggested.>>>
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Recapitulate (my reaction to recapping)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:13:46 PM »
11/02/05

The process of "recapitulation" enables us to identify the origins and causes of our behavior patterns, to start dismantling the beliefs that cause them and, through this, to come to terms with our past. T. Mares

This isnt at all what I learned to be recapitulation as.

In my understanding recapping is a form of regaining personal power from ppl and places you unknowingly at the time left it.

Ive done alot of this through out my life, its almost habitual for me to find where my personal power sits in any situation and not leave things lingering around. Even leaving the grocery store I pull myself completely back from all the contacts I made. Almost like grounding..

As far as making lists and setting my intent to recap Ive not spent any amount of set time to this task.

Whats recapitulation to you?

-=-=-

Ive since taken recapitulation as a very important task in my life... Ill share more soon....

How silly I was to resist!
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
11/02/05

The process of "recapitulation" enables us to :T. Mares

This isnt at all what I learned to be recapitulation as.

In my understanding recapping is a form of regaining personal power from ppl and places you unknowingly at the time left it.

Ive done alot of this through out my life, its almost habitual for me to find where my personal power sits in any situation and not leave things lingering around. Even leaving the grocery store I pull myself completely back from all the contacts I made. Almost like grounding..

As far as making lists and setting my intent to recap Ive not spent any amount of set time to this task.

Really T. Mares definition is a part of recapping. What you describe is also a part. You could even call them the same thing. You take your power back by: identify the origins and causes of our behavior patterns, to start dismantling the beliefs that cause them and, through this, to come to terms with our past.
and by: In my understanding recapping is a form of regaining personal power from ppl and places you unknowingly at the time left it.

I’ve done a lot of this through out my life, its almost habitual for me to find where my personal power sits in any situation and not leave things lingering around. Even leaving the grocery store I pull myself completely back from all the contacts I made. Almost like grounding..

To me it is all a part of the same process. I can imagine and feel it as if I am stretched out across time and space. When I first learned of recapping this is how I realized its importance. My attention had shifted and I could tell that I was not in the moment and that my past was repeating itself over and over. I hypothesized that it was repeating itself as a way of getting me to resolve it, and I intuited that to resolve it I simply had to pay complete and full attention to it. That is the amazing trick! Paying complete and full attention is very difficult. But that is what recapping is about to me, the more of my past I recap the more I can remember myself because as I recap I am re-membering the fragmented pieces of "me" that I left be hind. The more I remember myself the more awake I am and in the Now.

Being in the now further clears the residue of the past from the wheel of our life. As the wheel spins being in the moment is a powerful act of clearing and grounding.

This is why you combine Self-presence-remembering with recapping.

Recapping eventually allows us to maintain a permanent center of gravity i.e. grounding.

I could go on forever...and often I do!  ::)

Today I was recapping and I noticed something though. There is a fluidity issue in recapping for me. My recapping does not feel sufficient. It has something to do with my body. I'm going to try physical exercise. It feels like there might be a certain way I could exercise that would work best but I don't know.
I'm also going to try deep meditation in the dark to bring my subconscious forward a bit so I can relive these past moments. It seems like the depth of my mind is where I will find the power to relive the past...

"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

SoulFire

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 01:05:52 PM »
My recapping does not feel sufficient. It has something to do with my body. I'm going to try physical exercise. It feels like there might be a certain way I could exercise that would work best but I don't know.

Maybe try some magickal passes??
 ???

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Recapitulate
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:26:02 PM »
It wasnt until I started the process myself that I understood what Mares meant.  Shows much in always learning, never gripping clarity :)

I do alot of recapping while taking baths, when Im done.. it washes away with the water down the drain.
 ;)

I still have much work to do in the the area of recapulation, Im finding it difficult to fully retreive myself from my son's father, Im assuming its perhaps partly Dustin's link as well. (he doesnt know his bio father)

Just when I think Im all clear and moving, he will pop up in dream and stir enough emotion to remind me other wise.. back to the tub I go! ack

Its obviously not a pleasant thing.. but most work isnt of this nature.

Just keep pressing on..

:-* Raven

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 01:20:20 AM »
I'm finding it helpful to use everything to help me remember. Anything can trigger a memory and I'm taking advantage. Sometimes I will gaze at something and it will trigger a memory and I just go with it. I'm learning that the most obscure seemingly unrelated memories will relate to something I'm trying to recap in my structured recap and remembering that will loosen things up a bit.
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 01:59:14 AM »
that first quote raven, is not so much a part of recapping - i mean the understanding part - although it is good practice. Recapping is about reliving the feelings and emotions we felt at the time. It shouldn't be a mental exercise in understanding, tho that can come later, and can help us gain a better perspective.

the power of this practice is in the feelings and emotions.
this is what frees us, though there is a good argument for adopting the right stance, ie retrieving ourselves from the emotions - a lot of work has been done by psychologists on this aspect of reliving past experiences.

don't ignore the breathing, and there is some confusion about that, as cc gave two opposite techniques, nonetheless it is very important.

of course we gain 'understanding', but the process itself frees us, not our understanding.

yes it is about pulling back our elements, and releasing those of others retained in us, but also don't forget the part of offering a substitute to the eagle.

there are many ways to recap, as any journey back into forgotten memories is recapping. still i hold that the structured and dedicated process is important, no matter what other method we also employ successfully.

somnium

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 02:51:52 AM »
Recap, is a way to examine our past, with our present awareness. To see how we configured, and can reconfigure our programing.

Something I notice is that there is a big difference between psychoanalysis and recap. Psychoanalysis, though it can be helpful, is a process of our right side awareness, and is what shrinks do, "so tell me about when you were young". Recap is a process of our left side awareness, actually living the experience. I experience recap as a dream itself.  I relive the dream as an observer, allowing myself to see what is taking place.

I often find while I am recaping, that there are others observing with me, around me.

Also interesting is that we can recap other's dreams.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 09:00:02 AM by somnium »

SoulFire

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 08:26:55 AM »

Also interesting is that we can recap other's dreams.

Aha!
I always thought so.  I sometimes do this, but never have been able to find someone who agrees with me that this is necessary.  Or even possible.
Thanks D
 :-*

Jahn

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:56:10 PM »
don't ignore the breathing, and there is some confusion about that, as cc gave two opposite techniques, nonetheless it is very important.

of course we gain 'understanding', but the process itself frees us, not our understanding.

yes it is about pulling back our elements, and releasing those of others retained in us, but also don't forget the part of offering a substitute to the eagle.

there are many ways to recap, as any journey back into forgotten memories is recapping. still i hold that the structured and dedicated process is important, no matter what other method we also employ successfully.

Mares leaves out breathing because he says that can be too powerful for the common reader.

In my structured recaps I use a breathing exercise for retrieving and releasing energy cords from different persons. That process became much more clear and evident thanks to the breathing. First a series of concentration on the inhale,  took back my cords and then a serie of focus on the exhale to release.

My unstructured recaps was more emotional and used the forgiveness, they have a disease approach.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:57:57 PM by Juan Miguel »

erik

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 12:58:44 AM »

A very good question!

On one hand, it is the way to empty rucksack and keep it empty. Hence, it is a daily practice, a must.

On the other hand, it has been a way to get deeper, to see deep connections, to start feeling energy at the layers behind and beyond the daily activities.

somnium

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 08:48:54 AM »
Aha!
I always thought so.  I sometimes do this, but never have been able to find someone who agrees with me that this is necessary.  Or even possible.
Thanks D
 :-*

yup yup!
It was actually suggested to Carlitos, by Florinda, to recap the nagual Elias'(the man who turned down heaven) experiences, and Elias' expereinces with don Juan. This gave Carlitos further insight into the way of his lineage, and don Juan himself, by using another as a point of corroboration, giving additional clarity.

All that is initially needed, though I am not even sure this is needed, is an experience or story to initially focus on, and the intent to do so.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:12:15 PM by somnium »

SoulFire

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »

I like to recap stuff for my kids, but have also done so for my little brother.
And also, most recently, my dad.

Some people have said to me "Don't you have enough of your own stuff to recap?  Why would you want to do it for someone else?"
But I figure, if I can, I might as well, right?
 ;D

somnium

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:28:43 AM »

But I figure, if I can, I might as well, right?
 ;D

a path with heart!
 ;D

SoulFire

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 09:40:43 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk