Author Topic: Ki Aikido  (Read 403 times)

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
Ki Aikido
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »
The End of Struggle
Friday night class – Feb. 8, 2008
C. Curtis

There seems to be a lot of confusion, when I talk with students and see them moving in the dojo, about the main teaching in Ki-Aikido, or the central tenet of our practice, which is non-dissension, non-fighting, otherwise referred to as “no struggle.”

Ki-Aikido is the art of finding peace in the midst of conflict.  Some people imagine that if they can emerge victorious from a conflict, they can find peace, as if it is some sort of goal, or object that can be obtained, and that struggle to win is a means to that end.  And then others think that if they can struggle to put and end to conflict, or simply avoid conflict all together, somehow they will find this illusive peace.  But Ki-Aikido says the spirit of non-dissension, or peace, exists in the midst of the most rapid movement; in other words in the midst of the conflict of the world.

Everything in this world is in conflict.  It is, after all, the relative world.  Everything is up against something else, it’s own opposite.  There’s birth and death, health and ill-health, male and female, over there and over here, his ideas and my ideas, their beliefs and our beliefs.  Everything is in conflict at all times.  No matter what you bring up, there’s always an opposite sitting there looking right at you.  But true peace is not at all like that.  True peace is not the opposite of conflict.  Peace is what’s left over when all struggle is absent.  Peace is present all the time, but not often noticed.  This noticing requires awareness.  And when there is struggle, awareness is necessarily absent.  Peace is this right here.  It is your essential nature and this essential nature is always present.  We miss it, or don’t see it and feel we must go out and find it, because we are struggling with conflict.  Struggle is suffering.  Suffering is struggle.

It is so simple to see in Ki-Aikido.  When someone grabs your hand in Katatekosadori Kokyunage, for instance, no matter what you try to do, you only make things worse for yourself.  You get into deeper and deeper trouble no matter what you try to do.  And if someone is really experienced at holding you, they can block your every struggling effort.  This is very frustrating for you and you think this is impossible, that there can be no peace.  “There is too much conflict here.  What am I supposed to do?”  Is there anyone here who has not had this experience?  Of course, we all have.  And if you don’t have it any more, then be assured that sooner or later you will meet someone who can hold you.  There is always someone who can bring you to this place, corner you in this way, and this is a blessing when it happens.  When this happens we can easily see that not only are we not effective when we struggle, but this struggling can never lead to peace.

We use the past to try to bring together or accommodate what we think is happening now, versus what we are actually experiencing now, in this moment.  We try to use the past to squeeze these two together; what we think is happening and what we are actually experiencing.  This kind of thing is forcing life and covers over any sense of peace.  And we use the future in a similar way.  We use the future to accommodate what we think should be happening, versus what is actually happening.  And we try to squeeze those two together.  And we think if we succeed we can have peace.  All of this is just one big struggle to manipulate life to fit our idea of what life should be.  Any effort to avoid conflict, or overcome conflict, or solve conflict, or resolve conflict is all struggle, which is suffering itself.  The thing that you dislike most, is the very thing that you are doing. 

Therefore in Aikido we say, “Do nothing”.  Do nothing, and accept everything as it is.  What does that mean?  Does that mean that you have to agree with every foolish thought that comes along?  Does it mean that when someone tells you to do something unreasonable that you must do it?  It that what it means?  No?  What does it mean?

Student:  Things happen and you just let it go.

Student: Sometimes it means don’t try to make things happen because things will happen in their own good time.  Don’t get excited about trying to make things happen.

Yes, this is like, when the sun comes up in the morning and shines on the flower bud, the bud gradually opens, as you say, in its own good time.  It doesn’t do any good to try to pry the petals open and try to speed it up.  But the flower does open.  Stuff happens.  Life goes on. 

The thing about accepting things exactly as they are, or in other words being in a state of mind/body unification, is that when it comes time to act, you know exactly what to do and when to do it.  This is natural.  There is no gap, in other words, between experience and action.  The thinking, struggling, striving mind acting in reaction to what it is experiencing, creates a gap.  This is because of the way we use our conditioning to bring ideas of past and the future to try to correct the present.  When we try to bring together our idea of what is happening now, and what is actually happening now, this creates a gap in us and actually makes effective action impossible.  So in this way we are always struggling and never satisfied.  Whereas satisfaction, peace, is already this, right here, without editing.

I think this is really important.  Not only because it is Tohei Sensei’s teaching, and this is what we are all studying, but because it is the answer to living without struggle, without suffering.  And if you think about it, what is the real reason you are here tonight?  Why did you pick Ki-Aikido?  I mean, is there anyone here who came here to learn how to struggle more effectively?  Anyone?  No.  You all came here because you were tired of struggling and you thought there must be a better way. 

I think everybody agrees that we all came here to learn to live without struggle.  And how then do we go about that?  What happens when you first begin learning to perform a technique?

Student:  You find that you get yourself in the way.

And what that makes is….?

Student:  Struggle.

Struggle!  So we do struggle in this way, but what we are actually doing there, since we are struggling to perform an Aikido technique, is we are struggling against struggling.  This is why it feels like we get in our own way. 

Look at our world.  We fight against fighting.  We have the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty.  We even have fighting against the war, struggling to find peace!  How can that be?  We are making war on war.  It’s all struggle.  And yet, “accept what happens” doesn’t mean to hide yourself away in a corner some place.  You have to show up.  You have to be present in the face of that conflict.  As everybody knows about relationship, whether it’s a business relationship, or a parent – child relationship, or a spousal relationship or a teacher – student relationship, number one is you have to show up.  If you don’t show up nothing happens.  If you have some difficulty, some conflict, you have to be there for it and not avoid it.  Right?  That’s the first rule.  So no one is talking about avoidance, but just the opposite.  We are talking about living life completely, with no hesitation, no doubt, and no fear.  This is living without struggle.  Struggle comes out of doubt and fear and anxiety, a feeling that you must do something to alter whatever it is you don’t like about your experience in the present moment.  Whatever you don’t like, you want to change.  So you struggle to change it.  As if each one of us were the arbiter of our lives and, guess what, everyone else’s life too.

Somebody wrote me an email after I returned from teaching in Virginia recently and he said, “I am struggling with the dynamic between training, family life, and work.  Can you help me?  What should I do?”  What would you tell him?

Student:  It’s all training.

Ah, very good.  Do you others agree?

Student:  Well, work when you have to, spend time with your family as is appropriate, and come to the dojo whenever you can.

That sounds logical, but does it avoid the struggle?

What I told him was, “If you perceive that there is a difference between training, time with your family, and work, then you are missing the point entirely.”  Of course this probably made him think he needs to spend more time training so he can realize this!
(laughter)

Training is not just something that we do in the dojo.  Of course we do train here.  But everything we do here is a metaphor.  It’s pointing at right living.  It is pointing as this spirit of non-dissension.  Sure it is difficult.  It’s not easy for any of us.  None of us are really very good at it.  But that is not a problem.  The things that stand in our way are things like willingness and skill and these can all be improved over time.  We can learn to be present in this way, no matter where we are.  We can become more willing to be present.  We can become more skillful in this practice.  We can surrender more to our original condition.  So if we are struggling between that triangle of dojo, work, and family then something is confused in your understanding of what it is that we are doing here.

One other thing.  If you really know this in your experience, and you are really living your life in the dynamic of this practice, which is constantly challenging and extremely intense, then you will relish the moment to sit in silent meditation.  This sitting alone in peace is so easy compared to having to deal with people and events.  This is where you can go deeply into the condition of open awareness.  And then you have this treasure trove to come forth with your into daily life and enrich and enliven the experience.  So if you find yourself not really relishing sitting, maybe what you are doing in your life is actually avoiding being present, avoiding showing up.  Because showing up not only means facing what is happening in your life, but it also means seeing how unskillful you really are.  And that is sometimes not easy to look at.  We have to go through the middle of that.  We have to accept that.  And accepting unskillfulness is very skillful. 

Similarly, accepting the end of struggle, is what you were always struggling for.  This you can have now, right now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:05:19 AM by ;-) »
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Angela

• Acharya
Re: Ki Aikido
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »
Nice post Sweetie.

Solidifies our conversation last night.  We struggle far too much to get out from that "hold".  Often times during the struggle we end up injuring ourselves and others.  It's easier and more efficient to.... just relax ;)

Love you...A  :-* :-* :-*
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:40:59 AM »
 :) Good stuff!
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »

Reading Vicki's reply to Lori-Ann in her My Path thread made me want to post just a bit.

As per Vicki's comments to Lori-Ann, it dug up some old feelings inside myself when I was in a similiar situation.  I remember discussing this with our other Sensei, Bannai Sensei, with whom I had just discussed CC's work with.  (Journey to Ixtlan.)  This was, oh, about 6 years ago I believe. 

After my complaining to him, he asked me to dig out my notes that I had just shared with him concerning CC.

"You've just read these words to me Kris, and you don't even understand them.  The answer to all your questions is right there in front of you."  He then launched into a lecture about living in the now, not really knowing how to pay attention in the present, etc., etc.  (This is covered pretty much in the previous post by Curtis Sensei.  I must say I'm making some progress  ;))

Bannai Sensei was much more specific though to CC's information, as I'd just lectured him on it.  "Look here," he said.  "Look at these first half a dozen chapters of the book.  It's all right here." 

"Chapter 1, paying attention to what's around us.  You don't live here in the now, and have a tough time paying attention.  Be present, we'll learn you on awareness training."  "Chapter 2, Personal History.  Kris, what I see you using this for, is either something to brag about or complain about."  "Self Importance.  This is closely tied to your personal history and inability to take responsibility."  "Being inaccessable.  Kris, you only covered this briefly, but what you stated made sense, yet you are not following the teachings.  Don't you see why we are here having coffee?  Your self importance feel slighted because your too accessable and your not taking responsibility for your decisions."  Death as an advisor he equated to Time, and living in the Now.  He basically paraphrased Curtis Sensei's words above, stating how we attempt to mold the past to create the present, and look to the future in the same manner. 

"You think you have time," he tells me with a sober look.  He reminded me of possibly what don Juan looked like telling CC this.  Hmmm....I think I have time, so I don't take responsibility for my actions.

After reading a bit today, I found a bit more by Curtis Sensei:

"The point of our training here, what I'm getting to, is to get real, to stop faking it. Because in a life and death situation, you don't have any time for fakery. You don't have any time for an illusion about who you are, or what's happening, or who they are, or what's happening with them. There's no amount of self-mastery, no amount of technical perfection will get you by, and save your life, or save the life of a loved one. I don't care if you spend your whole lifetime learning how to do different martial arts, and how to become adept in every one of them, it won't be worth squat, if, in the moment of life and death, you're confused about who you are. Your reaction, or your actions in all situations, are exactly as limited as your conception of who you are. Because you act from who you are, not who you imagine yourself to be. To be authentic, to be real, you must be free flowing, like water. If you want to have a mind that flows like water it can't very well be fixed in some place. It can't be definable."

Makes sense to me.

Just some ramblings...

z

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

nichi

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »
Makes sense!

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »

We had the opportunity to demonstrate ‘Aikido’ this past Wednesday night.  As I believe I mentioned somewhere there was a martial arts demo at the center where we practice. 

Before I go any further, I’d just like to comment and say that I do realize that this is not a martial arts forum, and it’s not my intention to find a niche’ for martial arts here.

I’ve held off on posting, but the timing seems right.  (Hey, I enjoy my Omens.) 

What I would like to state is that this training I’m undergoing has taken on a new perception for me.   This occurred dramatically for me after our demonstration.  We were first up, so we got to relax and watch the rest of demo’s.   

There was a certain point right after our demo when I finally managed to ‘let go.’  You could call it a movement of the AP.  Finally a glimpse of the Universal mind…not me over there vs. you over here.  What was really fine was that I managed to ‘hold on’ to this for quite awhile.  I walked around and spoke to others in an impeccable manner.  This compared to my usual ‘faking it.’  You know…how one acts friendly, yet in the back of your mind you know you’ll kick their ass at the drop of a hat?   :-)

I’ve had these movements of the AP before, but never in this type of situation.  My ego and competitive nature has never allowed it in this type of setting.  Especially since I was the speaker as well, describing our Art as well as demonstrating.  Hell, I was center stage! 

The realization came that it matters not what I have accomplished compared to others, but rather what I have accomplished compared to myself.

For myself, it seems issues of competence and accomplishment is always relevant. The core of the matter, however, must reside in being compared to who I could possibly be, rather than how I fair in comparison to others. Life is like a private obstacle course in which no two people encounter the same trials; therefore each one must accord their own time to the finish line. I should use the success of others to inspire me to greater heights, not to lead me to dwell in the depths and pitfalls of interpersonal competition.

A lack of appreciation for the struggle to achieve perfection is endemic in our society.  It was nice to see the community come out and support us.  It was also nice to see other youngsters watching intently as opposed to sitting in from of the television or playing on their X-Box. 

By demanding perfection from myself I catapulted my very existence into a higher plane of artistic accomplishment with whatever resources I was afforded at the moment. By recognizing that perfection is a direction and not a goal, and learning to be content with my best attempt to enact the perfect ideal, I embraced excellence as a life-style, if only for that short moment of my ‘Enlightenment’  that occurred last week.   

Equally, I recognized the inherent difficulties and demands in adhering to a life of excellence, the extra-ordinary effort that it entails, and not be condescending but rather compassionate and understanding toward our fellow human being for whom the path of mediocrity has become the norm.

This, this paragraph above, was a nice realization for me.  Ever since I departed the military I’ve had tremendous issues in civilian life due to these above stated comments.

I have been told, “Discover and create the wholeness in your life; then do nothing that does not contribute to the whole. That is the true way to mastery.”

I’ve lead a fragmented life, existence that is composed of discrete units of time and endeavors that often have little connection with one another.

However, in order for me to achieve the most out of my life I need to maximize the number of activities that complement each other, that contribute to the overall completion of a grand picture.

Hence, my Training.  For me, this is considered a part of The Work.

The search and identification of this overarching theme that defines and gives meaning to my life is an indispensable step in the process of making me into a work of art, of daring to become who I wish to be.

Zammy

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
Capoeira
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »

I'll admit, hands down, the Art of Capoeira captured the audience's attention the most ;)

Interesting that in my trips to Brazil I've never heard of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51q1VB_dDik&feature=related  (This is amazing.  I call it 'dynamic yoga.')  ;) 

z

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:15:05 PM »
We had the opportunity to demonstrate ‘Aikido’ this past Wednesday night.  As I believe I mentioned somewhere there was a martial arts demo at the center where we practice.

Before I go any further, I’d just like to comment and say that I do realize that this is not a martial arts forum, and it’s not my intention to find a niche’ for martial arts here

Its my understanding that this is a 'people' forum.. thus your life's activities are always more then welcome with no judgement of fitting in.  If it makes you shine.. if it sparkles with growth.. go for it Zam! Thanks for sharing that here with us.

It sounds like a rising adventure to deeper awareness.. good work!
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

nichi

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:10:50 AM »
Couldn't agree with Jen more!
Why not ki aikido?
Talk about the thing which makes your heart sing.
Besides which, ki aikido seems very germane to the kinds of things we discuss here. Isn't it very focused on the movement of energy? That's  fascinating stuff.

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »

Couldn't agree with Jen more!
Why not ki aikido?
Talk about the thing which makes your heart sing.
Besides which, ki aikido seems very germane to the kinds of things we discuss here. Isn't it very focused on the movement of energy? That's  fascinating stuff.

I certainly agree...just felt a need to blab a bit  ;)

These teachers that are showing me 'a way'...are quite powerful.  Tsuma Sensei, our head instructor here in LV is powerful.  Then when Chinn Sensei comes over from Cal, and Curtis Sensei from Maui....whoa.  You meet these folks in the flesh and there is just such a calm intensity about them.  They've been doing these practises for 30-40 years now...Breathing, Meditation, etc. 

Like I told Ang at the pub on Friday night, these folks are quite experienced.  I told her that working with them...I felt I had my own personal don Juan's  ;)  She will get to experience them herself, as she agreed to come with me to a seminar in April in Cali.  Another head honcho from the East coast will be there, David Shaner Sensei.  We'll see her impressions of them.  Maybe I'm all wet  ;)  (Although I doubt it.) 

"...There is another way to look at this. When we practice cutting bokken, we have tendencies in two different directions. First, we tend to try to control the bokken too much, in hopes that Sensei will tell us we're cutting nicely. Right? And then he tells us we cannot cut tofu like that. He tells us that we really have to cut. So the next time we put all of our power into the cut. But that doesn't work either. Somehow we have to have all that intensity, but at the same time, we must have calmness. And calmness is not control. You have to let go completely to cut correctly. But when you let go, what is there? That's the question. When you let go, what is there? Something?

Well, what is that "something" and where does that "something" come from? How do you develop that? In Aikido, we call that something "kokyu". Kokyu actually just means "breath". But when we say kokyu in Aikido we mean the power of breath. And where does that come from? Do you know? Of course, it comes from practicing kokyuho -- breathing. Breathing practice. If you don't have any fuel, you can't cook the rice! You have to have something in the gas pipeline, or otherwise, nothing happens. And that fuel has to come from somewhere. There is plenty, there's an infinite supply and it is all right here right now. On the one hand, we say that you must practice breathing exercise for many years in order to develop this kokyu. But on the other hand, this breath power is here right now. But you must develop yourself to the point where it can operate through you. To do this you just have to let go. Let go of what? Let go of you trying to do it. This is where the double bind enters into the picture; the paradox of intension. You are trying to control and manipulate your life. You are trying to be wildly successful in your life. You are working really hard and making a lot of effort. But in this sense it is a big fat waste of time! You have to let go! You have to let go and then naturally it can happen. But it won't naturally happen to you unless you prepare yourself. You have to do your homework. It's not fair to expect to receive something for nothing. Nothing comes for free in this life. You have to earn it. So you have to practice; train. And then when you do let go, something is there to come out. Then when you cut, you can just cut. Then there can be only just the cutting. So you do have to do the work. However, on the other hand, it isn't directly because of you doing the work that kokyu appears.

This is like that old Zen story: Awakening never happens because of something that we do; never because of the efforts we make in meditation. Awakening always arrives like an accident. So it isn't that meditation necessarily causes awakening. It just makes us more accident prone."

KOKYU
Curtis Sensei -- 2002
Shunshinkan Dojo, Maui, Hawaii

z

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

This is like that old Zen story: Awakening never happens because of something that we do; never because of the efforts we make in meditation. Awakening always arrives like an accident. So it isn't that meditation necessarily causes awakening. It just makes us more accident prone."

"accident prone"..    :D
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
Greeting with Ki
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:44 AM »

As I watch the carpet layers install my new carpet I've had some time to reflect on class last night. 

Here's something I put together concerning what Sensei was explaining in class as well as a bit of observation I conducted at work last week. 

Thoughts?

To greet with Ki

Greetings have always been fundamental in building relationships.  Traditionally we were given strict training in greetings through our family. However, in recent times, it is often the case that this training must be conducted at school or at work. The same thing is happening at the dojo.

Last week at our office I had the opportunity to observe a new program put together, a “new employee seminar.”  The manager began by giving instructions on greetings to the new employees who had been chosen to work with us. 

I still remember my surprise at the lack of the participants’ ability to greet properly -- it was beyond my imagination. I had a realization that this is a generation where training must be conducted in the work environment.  In that seminar, instructions were given such as “when you greet, greet this way” and “first and foremost, greet in a loud voice”. Although there were some people who improved with this advice, many people had greetings that were correct in shape only and many who mistakenly thought that all you needed was to be loud.

Although it may be meaningful to start with proper shape and form, the most important thing is to understand the purpose of the greeting.

I’ve been told a greeting is Zen terminology. But instead of discussing the Zen aspect of it, I would like to address how it relates to learning about Ki.

All greetings start by sending your ki (mind) to the person you’re addressing. And this ki must be a positive ki.  If you don’t send your ki to the person you’re addressing and just speak in a loud voice, it is only noisy and annoying. It is the same as yelling “Hello!” just for the sake of saying it when you have no intention of welcoming someone.

Because you send your ki, you "realize" things. If you send your ki to the person you’re addressing, you will be able to understand their state of mind.  Whether they are energetic. Whether they are not energetic.  Whether they are happy. Whether they are not happy.  Whether they understood what you are conveying. Whether they did not understand.

If you do not send your ki, you cannot realize a single thing about their state of mind. Before you train the forms and shape, it is necessary to train to send your ki. This is why greetings are the basis of building relationships.

In your daily life, are you actively greeting people?
A: “Hello Mr. B!”
B: (to A), “Oh, Hello!”
I often see an exchange like this. Physically it looks like both A and B are greeting in the same fashion. However, in terms of the usage of ki, A and B are completely different.

A notices B and actively greets him. The reason he can do this is because his ki is extending. On the other hand, B first notices A when A greets him, and is only reacting to A. That is to say, A is “greeting” B whereas B is “reacting” to A.

I am not saying it is wrong to react. A “greeting” begins by sending ki to the other person, so if you are always reacting it is necessary to check if you are actively directing your ki.

At work (or any place else,) it is easiest to learn by making a game out of the training. The rules are simple: whoever greets first wins. The one who react loses. By doing this you will actively direct your ki towards your surroundings.

Some may go too far and hide and ambush someone so that they can greet first. Even then, this will ingrain better habits than not greeting at all or greeting in form only.

When both people send their ki to each other, there is a communication of ki. There is a ki exchange. A “greeting” is the basic form of exchanging ki.

Zam

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »
*Big huge bright smile and a hug!

Hello! Nice to meet you  :)

Just teasen.. excellent post Zam.. well said and well observed.  ;)

tangerine dream

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
Hey Zamurito,

I'm interested in the word 'ki'. Is it the same as the ki which can also be spelled 'chi' or 'qi'? Or is it something different altogether?   ???

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »

Hey Zamurito,

I'm interested in the word 'ki'. Is it the same as the ki which can also be spelled 'chi' or 'qi'? Or is it something different altogether?   ???

Ki is Japanese, Chi is Chinese.  There is a general resemblence, yet we use the term Ki very specifically. 

I'll get back to you with the specifics as I'm out of juju tonight  ;)

zam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk