Author Topic: mexican-american  (Read 574 times)

nichi

mexican-american
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
Here in S.California, I look all the time at the mexican-american community: my mother's household is one of the few white families here.  First I'll leave some pictures, then hopefully will have some data later.

What is this doing here? This is the norm, as evidenced on television and anywhere public: there is a conspicuous standard for voluptuousness.

***A great scene from "Real Women Have Curves"***

Our Lady Guadalupe

Guadalupe is a common name for females -- nickname "Lupe".

According to Mexican national legend, the Virgin Mary appeared to a Juan Diego (a Mexican Indian) in 1531 on the Cerro de Tepeyac in the north of Mexico City. She appeared three times in the guise of an Indian princess and commanded a church to be built in the area, where the Basilica de Guadelupe now stands. More miraculously she imprinted her image into Juan Diego's cloak, and this cloak now is preserved and set in gold.

You can view this cloth in the new basilica, which was built in response to earthquakes in the area that cracked the original basilica. Viewing occurs on a motorized platform that moves you past the Lady of Guadelupe. Whilst this may be an efficient way to allow the entire crowd to view her image, but can seem to be a little cynical in the face of a religious wonder.

Festivities

From early December onwards Mexicans celebrate the day of Our Lady of Guadelupe. The pilgrimage to the Basilica de Guadelupe culminates on their national holiday in her honour on December 12th. This pilgrimage is a mammoth affair with about 5 million Mexicans making the journey to the Basilica that holds round the clock services to cater to the throngs of pilgrims.

The Roman Church is a uniting force in Mexico, and this festival is no exception. The Virgin de Guadelupe is depicted as an Indian "dark Madonna", and this has helped the integration of indigenous people and their religion into the Roman Catholic Church. The resulting Catholicism exists in a more multifaceted form which attempts to be meaningful for the whole Mexican population, whether white, indigenous or mestizo.

(to be continued...)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:43:09 AM by nichi »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Re: mexican-american
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:55:06 PM »
I love that real women have curves clip

I also have always liked salsa - wish I had discovered it when I was younger, I think I would have made a study of it - love the rhythm. It's actually a classic African rhythm underneath, but what they do with it is terrific - very different to the Africans.

The gipsy kings are good too - an old favourite of ours.

nichi

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:06:44 AM »
"Real Women Have Curves" was a wonderful movie -- made for HBO, I think. I'm not sure about the SALSA clip: there are some indications that it's cuban/puerto rican rather than mexican. But. The dance is the same, and that music is on the radio stations here. 

Which brings to mind ... in the San Diego area, on FM, I count 23 stations that come in clearly, and only 10 or 11 of them are english-speaking.

A coworker of mine was teaching me spanish once, back in norfolk. She was puerto rican. She kept pointing out the differences between mexican-spanish and puerto rican spanish. From the puerto rican point of view, the mexican turns-of-phrase are more vulgar. I'm in no position to assess that. But if I lived here, I would surely learn spanish -- I've always been shocked that mom and john haven't.

There's a pull/tension here. For example, John, retired navy/retired civil servant, feels it isn't his job to learn spanish: it's the mexican-american's job to learn english.  The movement to which you see alluded in the initial pictures is experienced as a threat in the border states, culturally. (Other border states would be Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, perhaps Nevada.)

Me, I want to understand. There was a group of guys doing construction on the house next door last time I was here, for example, singing in spanish about a "rojo" - headed woman while they were looking at me. Might have been handy to know/understand the intent. That's not the only reason to learn: it just goes without saying that you can't have communication without the language.

More pictures and tidbits later.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:25:23 AM by nichi »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 07:21:06 AM »
I've been dreaming about them all night.

nichi

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:27:55 AM »

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 12:46:22 AM »
I watched a George Lopez episode on TV for the first time. We get a lot of different 'ethnic' type TV shows here... especially Black-American. It was interesting, the George Lopez show. Different from the "white" type sitcom, and yet strangely much the same.
TV is of course not the way to learn about other cultures... the shoes seem very stereotyped, and yet when I watch locally produced shows, I see also the stereotyping in them, and yet they are quite 'real' in a way too.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

nichi

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:48:08 AM »
Tortillas (the basis of many mexican dishes)

Masa harina is a type of traditional flour used in Mexican cooking.

To make masa harina, field corn (or maize) is dried and then treated in a solution of lime and water, also called slaked lime. This loosens the hulls from the kernels and softens the corn. In addition, the lime reacts with the corn so that the nutrient niacin can be assimilated by the digestive tract.

The soaked maize is then washed, and the wet corn is ground into a dough, called masa. It is this fresh masa, when dried and powdered, that becomes masa harina. (Add water once again to make dough for tortillas or tamales.)

Fresh masa is available in Mexican markets, refrigerated and sold by the pound. But masa harina is a fine substitute. Availability and your personal taste determine whether you start with fresh or dried masa.

Do not substitute corn meal or regular corn flour, however; they're produced from different types of corn and are processed differently. They will not produce the same results. Regular wheat flour also cannot be substituted.

Cilantro

nichi

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:51:21 AM »
I watched a George Lopez episode on TV for the first time. We get a lot of different 'ethnic' type TV shows here... especially Black-American. It was interesting, the George Lopez show. Different from the "white" type sitcom, and yet strangely much the same.
TV is of course not the way to learn about other cultures... the shoes seem very stereotyped, and yet when I watch locally produced shows, I see also the stereotyping in them, and yet they are quite 'real' in a way too.

That sitcom was an extension of his stand-up -- and a bit of controlled stereotyping (that is, under his control). The previous sitcoms involving latinos in the us were insipid, and far worse, for stereotyping. The G Lopez show attempted to be positive, while real. Not nearly as daring as his stand-up, though.

Lopez has some axes to grind, with his mother and grandmother.

tangerine dream

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:18:25 AM »

MMMmmm, I love Mexican cooking.  I recently worked with a guy who was from Ecuador, so not exactly Mexican, he calls himself Spanish, but I did get to learn a lot of of his secrets.  Which seem to be similar to Mexican cooking.  Lots of cilantro, lime and spices such as cumin.  Garlic of course, too.  Nice for Summer or barbeque dishes.  I guess I'm kind of off topic, but cooking esp different ethnic dishes is really interesting tome, a passion.

nichi

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:19:31 AM »
MMMmmm, I love Mexican cooking.  I recently worked with a guy who was from Ecuador, so not exactly Mexican, he calls himself Spanish, but I did get to learn a lot of of his secrets.  Which seem to be similar to Mexican cooking.  Lots of cilantro, lime and spices such as cumin.  Garlic of course, too.  Nice for Summer or barbeque dishes.  I guess I'm kind of off topic, but cooking esp different ethnic dishes is really interesting tome, a passion.

Not off-topic!
Glad you mentioned cumin, that was next on my list. And cayenne.

nichi

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:23:58 AM »
"mexican-american" is no doubt a case of "western" culture, like M was referring to. It is... and it isn't.

As tempting as it would be to say that the violence is a function of the us, I am fairly certain they have their own brand of it. For example, when I was in Tijuana in the late 70's, there were many puppet displays. The kind with strings. I was fascinated to see Tweety-Bird, Bugs Bunny, and Sylvester, all with gun holsters and guns. That you wouldn't see in the us.

nichi

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 01:28:12 AM »
On that same trip, I was in a jewelry shop, looking around (they have a lot of silversmiths and good silver and turquoise jewelry).  I was "haggling" with the  proprietor, a fiercely good-looking man in his 30's, who reached over the counter and began to untie my blouse.

nichi

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
Something noteworthy about this 'other culture' is that I am not nor will I ever be welcome in it.
It's not that I wanted to join it, because while I love the color and the music and the fire in it, it isn't me.

And that's the real value of absorbing one's self in "another culture", to me:: the same distance applies to whatever one's culture of origin is as well. I'm not a member, and I know that in its reality, I am not really welcome there either. The only plus is that I can move in it more discreetly and anonymously.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »
belonging to another culture, or your own, is another matter. It is not the purpose of our interest. We are trying to see that we could live there, and how that would be different for us. This pits one cultural view against another.

Despite the fact we may not feel we belong in our own culture, we are infused with it on level far below our consciousness. When we look into another culture, it challenges us on that deep level.

Plus it is enjoyable, and refreshing - except where we see the dark side of the culture.

It is really of 'making our boundaries permeable' utility, in this situation. However, I have other techniques, in which the application of this cultural Achilles Heel to our Humpty-Dumpty is sufficient to bring down the whole kingdom!

I hope I will share that with some one day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk