Author Topic: Buddhism  (Read 388 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Buddhism
« on: July 17, 2006, 02:39:30 AM »
I am very drawn to Buddhism, esp Tibetan Buddhism - Vajrayana. A psychic once told me I had previous lives in a sect of Tibetan Buddhism which wore a blue robe instead of the usual deep Tibetan red or orange. I can dig that.

When i traveled in Tibetan Buddhist lands, I was drawn to those monasteries perched on crags and hills. I even slept in a famous one on my way back from Ley - felt very much at home.

There is something about those high mountain passes and deep valleys where the prayer flags and chortens are found... the space, and the quiet, and those skies. I always would have liked to retire in a remote monastery high up on the Tibetan plateau, or even one of those small mud brick houses near a small river/creek, with an orchard, and little tracks that wander up into the mountains. Eating apricot kernels, and drinking chung, and meditating.

Julie often snipes at me that I always wanted to be a hermit. its true.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Re: Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »
When i traveled in Tibetan Buddhist lands, I was drawn to those monasteries perched on crags and hills. I even slept in a famous one on my way back from Ley - felt very much at home. Michael

Most jealous Michael! I hope you share more of your adventures  ;)

Julie often snipes at me that I always wanted to be a hermit. its true. Michael

Yes! (Im close, but not close enough)

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

erik

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:20:55 PM »
I guess I'm not quite there yet.

It is important to carry the door in my mind that I can open any time to speak directly to Buddha or anybody else for that matter.

Can't really choose the time and place - events tend to throw me around, so I must carry the door and travel light.

SoulFire

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:50:10 AM »
I am very drawn to Buddhism, esp Tibetan Buddhism -

There is something about those high mountain passes and deep valleys where the prayer flags and chortens are found... the space, and the quiet, and those skies. I always would have liked to retire in a remote monastery high up on the Tibetan plateau

Me too Michael
Me tooooo!

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
---- so I must carry the door and travel light.

I like that - carry the door and travel light

I love the quietness and solitude of my own space - both figuratively and literally - and yet find myself drawn to space that is full with others.
I don't really like noise and rush, and yet I find myself often in the midst of crowds and the crowded, and the only way to get through that it to extend the silence around me.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:53:10 PM »
I am very drawn to Buddhism, esp Tibetan Buddhism - Vajrayana. A psychic once told me I had previous lives in a sect of Tibetan Buddhism which wore a blue robe instead of the usual deep Tibetan red or orange. I can dig that.

That's interesting. Do you know anything more about (Tibetan) monks that wear blue robes?
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:46:51 PM »
no i don't. have never been able to find more on this, except from Lobsang Rampa (an irish historian i believe) who talked of a small healing monastery where the monks wore blue.

Offline Josh

• Yogi
  • go flower yourself
    • Invisible Acropolis
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »
Tibetan buddhism was originated from Padmasambhava, however the prehistoric shamanistic practice of tibetans known as Bon also had a strong influence.

My personal favorite form of buddhism,Dzogchen, is often said to have been more of an "origin teaching" of the timeless variety rather than a further development of buddhism perse.  It has much in common with Taoism and other traditions which hark to the ancient ways.

Monastaries which were perched on cliffs and mountainsides in Tibet often engaged in esoteric practices involving flying.  Robes were used as a gliding apparatus to aid in this pursuit.  In fact many different monasataries and schools specialized in different forms of esoteric practices, and were positioned in environments which would benefit them in such a particular way.

An interesting book on some of the more fantastical nature of these practices is called Magic and Mystery in Tibet.  It was written by a traveling buddhist scholar from England, a woman who also spoke tibetan and was sworn as a monk.  Also, it was written in the 1920s and at a time when public perception of Tibet was just beginning to form.  It was certainly a different era - in the beginning of the book the author writes an account of meeting with the current Dalai Lama who had just returned from a successful military campaign against the Chinese army.  There are further accounts of all manner of things, and it is all documented very well and in the utmost sobriety.  In fact, she has the air of a skeptic turned believer by sheer weight of evidence.  Unfortunately her reserved nature does cause her to keep theories to herself - and thus excludes communication of a possible deeper understanding of those events she writes about.  In any event, its a great book - check it out.

My own personal connection to Tibet and its culture, art, spirituality and mysticism is intense to say the least.  I have many other old roots as well, but few as indelible.
Other is.  Self must struggle to exist.

- Brian George

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »
Yes Joshua, that's the other book by Alexandra David-Neel that I couldn't remember when I posted a list of her works Books > Tibet

Magic and Mystery in Tibet is another of hers where she revealed some very interesting techniques.

Her books are among my favourites. Someone wrote a play about her recently.

Offline Josh

• Yogi
  • go flower yourself
    • Invisible Acropolis
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:21:50 PM »
Nice stuff - i will definately have to check those out
Other is.  Self must struggle to exist.

- Brian George

erik

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 09:10:40 PM »

YungDrung Bön tradition of Buddhism
http://www.sherabchammaling.com/:

Jahn

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 12:42:46 AM »
It seems that there are some cultural roots here for me.
In Swedish the name for prayer is Bön.

And this is what the say on that homepage about the origin of Bön:

"The ancient Bön was shamanic. In other words, it was based on the belief that spirits residing within the earth's framework of mountains and rivers, trees and sky are sensitive to human action and therefore must not be harmed. Pollution and degradation of the natural world will provoke the spirits into creating illness and harm to humans. Shamans work to appease and communicate with these spirits, for instance, as in a prayer for rain. "

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 02:51:59 AM »

There is something about those high mountain passes and deep valleys where the prayer flags and chortens are found... the space, and the quiet, and those skies. I always would have liked to retire in a remote monastery high up on the Tibetan plateau, or even one of those small mud brick houses near a small river/creek, with an orchard, and little tracks that wander up into the mountains. Eating apricot kernels, and drinking chung, and meditating.

Julie often snipes at me that I always wanted to be a hermit. its true.

Agreed.

In a locale similiar to what you mention above is where the totality of myself will be found...the fire from within will thus burn brightly...

z

PS  ...of course this begs the question, oh dear zamurito, why cannot you burn with your arse parked where it's at??  The only explanation that comes to *mind* is that this has been seen in Dreaming already...myself being drawn to such a place for the final boost of this great Earths power. 

"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Quantum Shaman

• Pir
  • Destruction of faith is the beginning of evolution
    • Quantum Shaman
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 05:11:29 AM »

PS  ...of course this begs the question, oh dear zamurito, why cannot you burn with your arse parked where it's at??  The only explanation that comes to *mind* is that this has been seen in Dreaming already...myself being drawn to such a place for the final boost of this great Earths power. 

I've noticed that the energy can get sucked out of a place that is familiar to us - or, more likely, we become so familiar with those energy patterns that we might fail to notice the beauty of the mystery all around us. That's certainly been true with me, living here in the high desert.  When we first moved here, I felt a lot more "energy from the place.  Now, I look around and feel my spirit aching for something new, something different, some new scenery.

And yet, when I go out into Joshua Tree National Park (only about 5 miles from here), I can be quickly and delightfully overwhelmed by the sheer force of energy.  There have been times out there when I have almost just walked off into the nagual and kept going... literally into that door DJM and Silvio Manuel were always searching for.

So, fwiw, I think you're right about that extra boost of energy.  familiar surroundings are for nurturing the tonal self, and so it stands to reason that when we are ready to burn with the fire from within, the ideal thing would probably be to do it at some phenomenal place that really speaks to the spirit of our nagual.

I'm liking the moody shoreline of Bandon, Oregon myself.   ;)
"You have to be immortal before you will know how to become immortal."
Quantum Shaman  | Quantum Shaman on Facebook

Offline Zamurito

• Pir
    • Impeccability
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 05:45:42 AM »

There have been times out there when I have almost just walked off into the nagual and kept going... literally into that door DJM and Silvio Manuel were always searching for.

That door?  Ah, the 'Cosmic Vagina!'

Interesting....spent 9 months trying to get out of it and the rest of my life getting back in.

:)

Z
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk