Author Topic: WE'RE STUFFED!!!  (Read 31120 times)

Jahn

Re: WE'RE STUFFED!!!
« Reply #870 on: December 21, 2008, 05:04:52 AM »

What does Mother tell you?

There is two things that she tells me, one about her condition in general and the other concerning (the in bodies living part of) mankind as a whole. The direction is not exactly favorable for either part but in cosmic terms we might say that it is a temporary status of transition. No one is really hurt.

Jahn

« Reply #871 on: December 21, 2008, 05:08:07 AM »
Quote from: ∞ on December 20, 2008, 06:04:01 AM
Quote from: ∞ on December 20, 2008, 06:04:01 AM
When I was 10 I used to build snowmen, to ride the sledge on the hill side, to slide on the icy snow and generally I haven't seen the soil for 3 months.
When I was 14 the sledge got rusty between two rides. And it is *not* a figure of speech!!
When I was 18 we had snow less then 5 times in a year, and I was glad if I could find enough to make a snow ball.
When I was 22 the whole winter we had not seen one snow flake.

It's one decade, and these are changes that are definitely worth noting!
In my place people used to sow in the late autumn and wait for the snow to cover the seeds. The snow kept the seeds from freezing until the spring, when they would break and grow much faster.
Not having snow impacted the whole agriculture.
The old traditions, based on the cycle of the seasons, the secular experiences gathered from the study of the whether phenomenons, in less then a decade became useless, obsolete or even detrimental.

And then this scientist has the courage to talk about "changes worth noting".

I actually hope people will continue to live in denial, this way they won't prevent the inevitable. (as absurd this might sound)

Good observations there R.

In Sweden we still talk about the "Green winters" back in the early 1970:s and I remember leaves were on the trees as late as in November the year of 1978. Some years though the Polar wind from the North may hit us and we can still have real winters. 

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #872 on: December 21, 2008, 06:20:28 AM »
Not sure that I am following in what you say Daphne. Mother Earth has no other connection to scientists more than they are a part of the ecological system upon her.

What I mean, is that for those that may not feel that connection directly, other means of transmitting information are available.. ie scientists.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Jahn

« Reply #873 on: December 22, 2008, 05:41:13 AM »
And ... what is our answer/connection/dialogue connection tell us.

Women ... they usually have the most eminent connection to Mother Earth, what else can one expect?

I could have been clearer on this one. It has to do with our sexes. While men have a top down sex (from heaven to earth) women have a reflection of the same from Earth up through the womb. later, I shall perhaps clarify with some pictures from a book of  teachings of Universal dada.

Anyway it all leads to that women as such are more connected to Earth and men has a bit greater connection to Heaven. Nothing is more worth than the other, it has only to do with how we pick up the same energies. This is of course on a general level, individuals may deviate a bit. However this has less to do of how much part of us that is masculine and feminine flow, that part is another dimension of our beings. What I talk about is more the biological - heaven (Sun) energy flow intake.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:44:17 AM by Jamir »

Jahn

« Reply #874 on: December 22, 2008, 05:42:25 AM »
What I mean, is that for those that may not feel that connection directly, other means of transmitting information are available.. ie scientists.

Which leaves them as a hopeless prey to the mental body  ;D

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #875 on: December 24, 2008, 07:15:56 PM »
For anyone interested in the India/Pakistan troubles, here is an excellent article by Arundhati Roy:

The Monster in the Mirror

erik

« Reply #876 on: December 24, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »
It is a very thoughtful insight. There are no quick fixes, no shortcuts in sight, and the road to better world passes only through the darkest corners of human mind. Reading such articles confirms over and again the statement that traveller ought to have no nationality, no allegiance to any country, no fixed beliefs.

nichi

« Reply #877 on: December 26, 2008, 07:59:39 AM »
In the US, we have a couple of television series with extended families:
"CSI" and "Law and Order". "CSI" = Crime Scene Investigation, and is almost exclusively focused on the details of forensic investigation. The grosser and more rotting the flesh, the better. Of the Law-and-Order series/offshoots, one in particular is focused almost exclusively on forensic information: "Law and Order: Sexual Victims Unit". Also popular are several criminal case investigation shows of the non-fictional ilk. 

My problem, around which my hair gets the most raised, is with the show "Sexual Victims Unit." Many shows have been instruction manuals for the would-be-depraved, in my view. They give ideas where there might have been none, and plenty of tips about what evidence not to leave.. The reason I get tuned into that is not because I'm a woman, and in the usual "victim" population -- but because I've mingled with dark ones myself. I have an acquaintance with a certain amount of depravity, and I know a subculture therein. The "SVU" show goes much farther than the parameters of the subculture -- which is already de-spiriting enough. It would surprise the kinkiest-of-kinky people, and give those who are predators inspiration.

Likewise, the same "how-to" and "gee-what-a-good-idea" value in my view goes to articles like this:

Homeland Security forecasts 5-year threat picture

By EILEEN SULLIVAN, Associated Press Writer Eileen Sullivan, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – The terrorism threat to the United States over the next five years will be driven by instability in the Middle East and Africa, persistent challenges to border security and increasing Internet savvy, says a new intelligence assessment obtained by The Associated Press.

Chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear attacks are considered the most dangerous threats that could be carried out against the U.S. But those threats are also the most unlikely because it is so difficult for al-Qaida and similar groups to acquire the materials needed to carry out such plots, according to the internal Homeland Security Threat Assessment for the years 2008-2013.

The al-Qaida terrorist network continues to focus on U.S. attack targets vulnerable to massive economic losses, casualties and political "turmoil," the assessment said.

Earlier this month, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said the threat posed by weapons of mass destruction remains "the highest priority at the federal level." Speaking to reporters on Dec. 3, Chertoff explained that more people, such as terrorists, will learn how to make dirty bombs, biological and chemical weapons. "The other side is going to continue to learn more about doing things," he said.

Marked "for official use only," the report does not specify its audience, but the assessments typically go to law enforcement, intelligence officials and the private sector. When determining threats, intelligence officials consider loss of life, economic and psychological consequences.

Intelligence officials also predict that in the next five years, terrorists will try to conduct a destructive biological attack. Officials are concerned about the possibility of infections to thousands of U.S. citizens, overwhelming regional health care systems.

There could also be dire economic impacts caused by workers' illnesses and deaths. Officials are most concerned about biological agents stolen from labs or other storage facilities, such as anthrax.

"The threat of terrorism and the threat of extremist ideologies has not abated," Chertoff said in his year-end address on Dec. 18. "This threat has not evaporated, and we can't turn the page on it."

These high-consequence threats are not the only kind of challenges that will confront the U.S. over the next five years.

Terrorists will continue to try to evade U.S. border security measures and place operatives inside the mainland to carry out attacks, the 38-page assessment said. It also said that they may pose as refugees or asylum seekers or try to exploit foreign travel channels such as the visa waiver program, which allows citizens of 34 countries to enter the U.S. without visas.

Long waits for immigration and more restrictive European refugee and asylum programs will cause more foreigners to try to enter the U.S. illegally. Increasing numbers of Iraqis are expected to migrate to the U.S. in the next five years; and refugees from Somalia and Sudan could increase because of conflicts in those countries, the assessment said.

Because there is a proposed cap of 12,000 refugees from Africa, officials expect more will try to enter the U.S. illegally as well. Officials predict the same scenario for refugees from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

Intelligence officials predict the pool of radical Islamists within the U.S. will increase over the next five years due partly to the ease of online recruiting means. Officials foresee "a wave of young, self-identified Muslim 'terrorist wannabes' who aspire to carry out violent acts."

The U.S. has already seen some examples of these homegrown terrorists. Recently five Muslim immigrants were convicted of plotting to massacre U.S. soldiers at Fort Dix in a case the government said demonstrated its post-Sept. 11 determination to stop terrorist attacks in the planning stages.

The Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah does not have a known history of fomenting attacks inside the U.S., but that could change if there is some kind of "triggering" event, the Homeland assessment cautions.

A 2008 Interagency Intelligence Committee on Terrorism assessment said that Hezbollah members based in the U.S. do local fundraising through charity projects and criminal activity, like money laundering, smuggling, drug trafficking, fraud and extortion, according to the homeland security assessment.

In addition, the cyber terror threat is expected to increase over the next five years, as hacking tools become more sophisticated and available. "Youthful, Internet-savvy extremists might apply their online acumen to conduct cyber attacks rather than offer themselves up as operatives to conduct physical attacks," according to the assessment.

Currently, Islamic terrorists, including al-Qaida, would like to conduct cyber attacks, but they lack the capability to do so, the assessment said. The large-scale attacks that are on al-Qaida's wishlist — such as disrupting a major city's water or power systems — require sophisticated cyber capabilities that the terrorist group does not possess.

But al-Qaida has the capability to hire sophisticated hackers to carry out these kinds of attacks, the assessment said. And federal officials believe that in the next three to five years, al-Qaida could direct or inspire cyber attacks that target the U.S. economy.

Counterterrorism expert Frank Cilluffo says the typical cyber attack would not achieve al-Qaida's main goal of inflicting mass devastation with its resulting widespread media coverage. However, al-Qaida is likely to continue to rely on the Internet to spread its message, said Cilluffo, who runs the Homeland Security Policy Institute at George Washington University.

Officials also predict that domestic terrorists in the forms of radical animal rights and environmental extremists will become more adept with explosives and increase their use of arson attacks.
Homeland Security says.....

I get all sorts of ideas reading this... Hmmm, the terrorists could pose as animal rights activists, for that matter ... etc. etc. etc. etc.  What the hell good does it do me? Not one of these things could I prevent from happening. There is no way to become prepared for any of these nifty projections/suggestions -- except to leave the country.  In the interim, who is the tefforist? All these extreme groups, or the Associated Press (or whatever powers are behind the AP?)?

Is it the mass-media manipulation which comes before the escalation of more war, perhaps? Or are we just f*ucked? I can just hear my old sociology professor telling us that we'd be sadly mistaken to think it was a coincidence that this article got released on Christmas Day.

erik

« Reply #878 on: December 27, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »
Attenborough alarmed as children are left flummoxed by test on the natural world

Attenborough alarmed as children are left flummoxed by test on the natural world

By Sarah Cassidy, Education Correspondent
Friday, 1 August 2008

Children have lost touch with the natural world and are unable to identify common animals and plants, according to a survey.

Half of youngsters aged nine to 11 were unable to identify a daddy-long-legs, oak tree, blue tit or bluebell, in the poll by BBC Wildlife Magazine. The study also found that playing in the countryside was children's least popular way of spending their spare time, and that they would rather see friends or play on their computer than go for a walk or play outdoors.

The survey asked 700 children to identify pictured flora and fauna. Just over half could name bluebells, 54 per cent knew what blue tits were and 45 per cent could identify an oak. Less than two-thirds (62 per cent) identified frogs and 12 per cent knew what a primrose was.

Children performed better at identifying robins (95 per cent) and badgers, correctly labelled by nine out of 10.

Sir David Attenborough warned that children who lack any understanding of the natural world would not grow into adults who cared about the environment. "The wild world is becoming so remote to children that they miss out," he said, "and an interest in the natural world doesn't grow as it should. Nobody is going protect the natural world unless they understand it."

Fergus Collins, of BBC Wildlife Magazine, said the results "reinforce the idea that many children don't spend enough time playing in the green outdoors and enjoying wildlife – something older generations might have taken for granted".

A surprisingly large number of children incorrectly identified the bluebells as lavender, and the deer was commonly misidentified as an antelope.

The newt, recognised by 42 per cent, was mistaken for a lizard while the primrose was thought to be a dandelion.

Experts blamed the widening gulf between children and nature on over-protective parents and the hostility to children among some conservationists, who fear that they will damage the environment. They said that this lack of exposure to outdoor play in natural environments was vital for children's social and emotional development.

Dr Martin Maudsley, play development officer for Playwork Partnerships, at the University of Gloucestershire, said that adults had become too protective of wild places: "Environmental sensitivities should not be prioritised over children."

He said: "Play is the primary mechanism through which children engage and connect with the world, and natural environments are particularly attractive, inspiring and satisfying for kids. Something magical occurs when children and wild spaces mix."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:36:45 AM by nichi »

Jahn

« Reply #879 on: January 02, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »
They forecast an "extreme warm winter" here in the North with an average temp. of 2 to 3 dg celsius above the normal, but my guts tells me that we will have a real cold period starting in the middle of January, lasting at least 3 weeks. Betting is free ...  ;D

It may count as a fairly good forecast. It started during the X-mas days with some freezing degrees and the New Year night was rather cold (-5 C in the morning) and today we have the coldest day this winter down toward -10 C degrees Celsius in the early morning. However the important stuff is, that what has happened, is what I expected; the North wind would start to flow down on us and that will usually means a longer period of real cold temps. So that is what they forecast now on the weather news, up to ten days with North wind and a steady period with temperatures below zero. So I "felt" this period would come in about two weeks, though it seems like it will end after about two weeks from now and by that lasted for three weeks.  :)

As a note I can say that this first week in January has been rather warm many years lately. If the West or even the South wind rules it can be common with degrees between +5 to +10 C.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:02:20 PM by Jamir »

Jahn

« Reply #880 on: January 05, 2009, 03:09:07 AM »

Today we had the coldest day for several years -16 C (+3 F) and colder it may very well be the next days. Perhaps down to -20 C (-4F). 

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #881 on: January 05, 2009, 03:26:49 AM »
Today we had the coldest day for several years -16 C (+3 F) and colder it may very well be the next days. Perhaps down to -20 C (-4F). 

Ew I hate the cold. It snowed again the other day (I know hate cold im here in WA), and snow ive learned really is a pain, scrape off windows and slip all over. But it hasnt gotten THAT cold out here. But this cold here is enough, im at work under my blanket, wearing three shirts/sweaters, so I am not adapted well to the cold.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Jahn

« Reply #882 on: January 05, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »
Quote from: ♀♥Lady Urania♥♀ on January 05, 2009, 03:26:49 AM
Quote from: ♀♥Lady Urania♥♀ on January 05, 2009, 03:26:49 AM
Ew I hate the cold. It snowed again the other day (I know hate cold im here in WA), and snow ive learned really is a pain, scrape off windows and slip all over. But it hasnt gotten THAT cold out here. But this cold here is enough, im at work under my blanket, wearing three shirts/sweaters, so I am not adapted well to the cold.

I think that snow is wonderful and the best weather in winter is when the air is dry around -5 C (23 F).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:22:29 PM by Jamir »

Jahn

« Reply #883 on: January 05, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »
03/01/2009 - 21:25:07
A strong earthquake has hit north-eastern Afghanistan, a quake that rattled the capital Kabul for about a minute, according to officials.

The US Geological Survey says today’s quake had a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 and was located in the north-eastern province of Badakhshan in the Hindu Kush mountains. The area is often hit by earthquakes, but is sparsely populated.

A Badakhshan police official, Fazel Ahmad Naderi, says the quake was strong but noted that his cell phone still worked, meaning that towers had not been toppled. The quake hit about 12.50am local time and Naderi says he will not know about damage until daylight.

The quake rattled buildings in Kabul, about 160 miles (260km) south-west of the epicentre.

erik

« Reply #884 on: January 06, 2009, 12:47:55 AM »
Depression among the young at alarming level, says charity

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jan/05/mental-health-depression-young

• Nearly half regularly feel stress, finds Prince's Trust
• Situation likely to worsen as recession takes hold

* Mary O'Hara
    * The Guardian, Monday 5 January 2009
    * Article history

A significant number of young people are depressed or struggling to cope and the situation is likely to worsen as recession takes hold, according to a report by the Prince's Trust. One in 10 16- to 25-year-olds polled by the charity for its Youth Index study said they felt that life was meaningless, and more than a quarter (27%) said they were always or often down or depressed. Almost half of all those surveyed (47%) said they were regularly stressed.

The trust, which interviewed more than 2,000 young people across Britain, said the results were "alarming". Young people not in work, training or education were worst affected, the research found.

Some 37% of those outside paid employment or education admitted to being frequently down or depressed, while 27% said their lives had no purpose. With young people expected to bear the brunt of job losses over the coming year, the findings are likely to raise concerns among policymakers.

Martina Milburn, chief executive of the Prince's Trust, said the study revealed "an increasingly vulnerable generation". Paul Brown, a director at the trust responsible for the research, added: "We already have evidence that young people are likely to be disproportionately affected during a recession. We also know that young people often have problems, especially those without supportive families. That one in 10 young people think their life is not worth living is a really worrying thing to see quantified."

Brown said the Prince's Trust, which provides support to about 40,000 young people a year, is introducing a new mental health awareness programme for team leaders in local projects to identify early signs of distress.

Peter Kellner, of YouGov, which conducted the research, said the majority of young people had a generally positive outlook on life. He warned, however, that the serious concerns of the "core" of unhappy people under the age of 25 "need to be addressed". He added that failing to take the issue seriously "would be storing up big problems for the future".

Concerns about the mental health and wellbeing of young people have risen sharply following reports about the emotional fragility of the current generation of children and teenagers, and problems around violence and knife crime.

In April last year the Children's Society's Good Childhood Inquiry, a state-of-the-nation overview of childhood, said in an interim report that more than a quarter (27%) of the 8,000 14- to 16-year-olds it interviewed regularly felt depressed. The inquiry, a two-year rolling programme of research, also reported that just 9% of adults felt children are happier today than when they were growing up.

The final report, by Lord Richard Layard, the economist and author of the book Happiness, is due to be published at the end of this month. The Prince's Trust research could raise additional concern because it suggests that the emotional malaise already identified by the Children's Society in younger teenagers is stretching into early adulthood.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk