Author Topic: Dhamal (Sufi trance dance)  (Read 286 times)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
Dhamal (Sufi trance dance)
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:07:58 PM »
Dhamal (Sufi trance dance)

By Hamraz Ahsan

What is Dhamal?

Dhamal is a Sanskrit word that originally referred to fire-running by Muslim fakirs (Holy men). In modern times that definition has changed to denote a Sufi trance dance, designed to attain union with the Divine. The sole goal of Sufis is to attain union with God. You may be familiar with the whirling dervishes of Turkey but Dhamal is less constrained to rules and regulations of movement. It is a unique way to express your own personal link with Divinity. No-one can dictate how you should experience the Divine in your life and the drumming to which dhamal is done speaks directly to your spirit, by-passing dogma and inhibitions.

How to do it

Prepare your dancing space by clearing physical space and perhaps, if you like, lighting incense (Jasmine or Rose are Hamraz's preferred scents but only use those which you personally find appealing). Prepare yourself mentally to communicate with a higher intelligence. Sit comfortably on the floor and place your left hand on your heart chakra (see below for the six basic Sufi chakras) and your right hand on top of your left one. Imagine a beam of light coming from above and connecting with your crown chakra. Imagine the colour of the light beam to be whichever colour you feel drawn to at that time, whether pure white, iridescent black, dark blue, green, red, yellow or any other colour that you prefer. Even a complete lack of colour (like rising heat) is fine as long as you can imagine or feel that the beam is there.

a woman mystic doing dhamal

Now, imagine you have become a puppet that is connected by a wire or string, in the shape of that beam of light, and that the string is in the hands of a compassionate, divine, higher intelligence. After you are connected in this way, start to play a suitable drumming CD and return to the place at which you were sitting.  Start dancing only when you feel a real urge to. Do not resist the urge and also do not try to force the urge upon you. It should come automatically without any effort on your part. Sometimes it takes a few seconds and sometimes a few minutes but have faith in that higher being and it will definitely come upon you.

When dancing, do not pay any attention to the movements of your body. Let your limbs and any other parts of your body express their own rhythm and movements. Only listen to the beat of the drum. This beat through the beam of light is giving the instruction to your body to move. If you find yourself repeating movements, stay with that monotony. Those movements are vital for unblocking your particular problematic chakra or chakras. You will literally be healing yourself through the dance and the connection that it stems from. Your inner mood will change with the different movements (chals) of the drum. There are seven movements in a classic dhamal CD.  The whole experience of Dhamal is to lose control of yourself and to hand over your body to Divine energy. It is a release and is naturally extrovert in nature. So feel the flight, the vastness and the blessing of the dancing. Be thankful that you are able to move in spontaneity, in unique movements that are created for just for you and just for that space and time.

The chakras in Sufism

There are six basic chakras which are as follow:

1 Point of carnal self. Its centre is in solar plexus (just below the belly button). The colour is yellow.

2 Point of heart. Its centre is an inch or so below the left breast. Its colour is red.

3 Point of soul. Its centre is an inch or so below the right breast. Its colour is white.

4 Point of mystery. It is situated between the point of heart and soul in the middle of chest. Its colour is green.

5 Point of veiled. It is situated in the middle of forehead, popularly known as third eye. Its colour is dark blue. It is the meeting point between soul (spirit) and the body. Everything from the Divine comes to this point and is then distributed into other points.   

6 Point of mantle. It is situated in the crown of the head. Its colour is a shining, iridescent black.

a veiled woman doing dhamal
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Re: Dhamal (Sufi trance dance)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
Ive been dancing something very similar to this for the past 3 years.. this is the closest Ive found in words tho I admit not trying to capture them myself.

Ill share a bit more of my research if I find anything interesting to my practice and maybe yours? :)
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »
return to the place at which you were sitting.  Start dancing only when you feel a real urge to. Do not resist the urge and also do not try to force the urge upon you. It should come automatically without any effort on your part. Sometimes it takes a few seconds and sometimes a few minutes but have faith in that higher being and it will definitely come upon you.

There will be little doubt within you as you rise to this, it's as if nothing can hold you back.

Ive been blessed with a small circle of drummers that I can dance with and often sometimes one or more will join me.. I think it can feel rather intoxicating to those near by.. drumming etc. What is most important in a group setting is acceptance.

I also dance alone alot with CD... and have been known to catch some far off silent beat within the gardens and take flight.. ;)

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:38:38 PM »
From another source;

Dhamal dance: This is an ancient dance popular among the Ahirs of Gurgaon and Mahendergarh. The dance is performed outdoors by men on moonlit nights of Phalgun. They sing and dance to the sound of the Dhamal beats. At the start of the dance a long tune of 'Been' is played. It is said that the people perform this dance whenever their crop is ready for harvesting.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
Trance dance
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:52:32 PM »
Gabrielle Roth, leading exponent of Ecstatic dance and creator of the "5 rhythms", has this to say about Trance:

"I mean for me God is the dance. God is energy, motion, energy in motion, motion is energy and that's all one thing for me. And I can rely on it, because there's no dogma in the dance. There's nothing to believe there is nothing to hold onto. There's only a force, a current, a wave, a cycle, a pattern to continually surrender to and to allow that to shift and change us, to take that which is disparate or divided and make it whole". *

When Gabrielle talks about dogma she is referring to the constraints of organised religion and particularly Catholicism. Having been brought up a Catholic myself, I understand what she is saying. What Catholicism has done for many of us "Once was Catholics", is to take us on a spiritual quest for our own meaning of God. In the name of God, many religions that originally practised dance as a way to God, banished it. Catholicism and Islam are two such examples.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:55:50 PM »
The Egyptian Zaar's movements are common to many North African cultures. An example of this is the Hadra ritual from Morocco. The Hadra is a healing trance ceremony in which music and dance are aimed at the attainment of ecstasy. It has its roots in Sufism. The Haddarat women of Essaouria sing and chant invoking holy men and spirits, communicating with other worlds. Each rhythm has many symbolic meanings, from healing powers to exorcism.

"When the rhythm starts, you feel like something coming into your body; like something shaking. You don't remember anything when you are in trance. You will be sitting with people and when the rhythm starts, that's the last thing you remember, until you come to, when the incense is smoked over you" Lala Aicha *

-=-

Dance when you're broken open.

Dance if you've torn the bandage off

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you're perfectly fee.

Rumi~

nichi

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:27:34 AM »
Jen, this is fascinating stuff -- I'm so glad you have brought it.
It's not part of my practice now, though in reading about it, I see I did something similar many moons ago. I sure am drawn to it, though.

Thank-you for illuminating it!  :-*

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:19:38 AM »
Jen, this is fascinating stuff -- I'm so glad you have brought it.
It's not part of my practice now, though in reading about it, I see I did something similar many moons ago. I sure am drawn to it, though.

Thank-you for illuminating it!  :-*

;)

I so often find this in my life.. I find the paradox interesting all in itself... I seek to learn about something Ive already done, in order to share it in a social manner.

What came first the chicken or the egg eh..

Im reminded of a story Ive heard Old Turtle tell.. he is a master at poleing a canue upstream and through various rapids.. doing so since childhood. He later became a guide and has taken many down river.. LL Bean.. I company that sells sporting goods contacted him to teach a class..

He laughs telling the story; "I had no idea what I was doing" He had to consult another guide to learn the lanuage of his art.

-=-

Another story that feels fitting from Old Turtle. He wished to construct the roof of his hogan as a medicine wheel.. someone asked "How do you plan on doing it?" He smiles "I have no plan.. Im just going to do it"

Pleased you liked the thread!

:-*

tangerine dream

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »
Just do it!
 ;D

Another story that feels fitting from Old Turtle. He wished to construct the roof of his hogan as a medicine wheel.. someone asked "How do you plan on doing it?" He smiles "I have no plan.. Im just going to do it"

:-*

The chakras in Sufism

There are six basic chakras which are as follow:

1 Point of carnal self. Its centre is in solar plexus (just below the belly button). The colour is yellow.

2 Point of heart. Its centre is an inch or so below the left breast. Its colour is red.

3 Point of soul. Its centre is an inch or so below the right breast. Its colour is white.

4 Point of mystery. It is situated between the point of heart and soul in the middle of chest. Its colour is green.

5 Point of veiled. It is situated in the middle of forehead, popularly known as third eye. Its colour is dark blue. It is the meeting point between soul (spirit) and the body. Everything from the Divine comes to this point and is then distributed into other points.   

6 Point of mantle. It is situated in the crown of the head. Its colour is a shining, iridescent black.

I like this very much!
Makes more sense to me than the standard chakra placement and colour scheme.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:03:18 AM by dust »

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »
:) Do you dance Lori Ann, or trance in other ways?

Do any of you?

tangerine dream

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 08:41:12 AM »
:) Do you dance Lori Ann, or trance in other ways?

Do any of you?

Cassidee and I dance once in a  while, but I've never experienced any kind of trance dance.  And the only time I've ever really experienced drumming, rattling etc, besides in Dreaming is Cds or the internet.

Speaking of trance though, I was thinking on this today at work.  I never really noticed before but it seems like any sort of repetitive automatic movement or action, where not much thought is involved (driving can be like this for me) can easily induce a trance-like state.  I had to snap myself out of it at work today quickly once I realized.  And I might not have noticed except I actually felt my AP shift and  ( I could be wrong but ) it felt like I actually left my body through a point in my lower left back ribcage.

Awesome experience, one I'll need to watch for if I'm in that position again at work.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Cassidee and I dance once in a  while, but I've never experienced any kind of trance dance.  And the only time I've ever really experienced drumming, rattling etc, besides in Dreaming is Cds or the internet.

Speaking of trance though, I was thinking on this today at work.  I never really noticed before but it seems like any sort of repetitive automatic movement or action, where not much thought is involved (driving can be like this for me) can easily induce a trance-like state.  I had to snap myself out of it at work today quickly once I realized.  And I might not have noticed except I actually felt my AP shift and  ( I could be wrong but ) it felt like I actually left my body through a point in my lower left back ribcage.

Awesome experience, one I'll need to watch for if I'm in that position again at work.

Not that long ago I did a search at a friends house (due to my dial up) and found a bunch of different music.. made some CDs that Ive fallen in love with for this sort of work.. but also Ive found nearly anything can work if it really grabs ya. Drums spark me best.. but I fall for a flute as well.. so..

Chanting too..

any sort of repetitive automatic movement or action, where not much thought is involved (driving can be like this for me) can easily induce a trance-like state. 

Yes!

I actually felt my AP shift and  ( I could be wrong but ) it felt like I actually left my body through a point in my lower left back ribcage.

Id love to hear of further experiences if you should try it out ;)

Ive found myself in all sorts of places and sometimes its as if Im someone or something else all together..

Thing is.. Im aware of both worlds during this.. for a good amount of the time this stays.. and then often I move further and cant recall anything but.

Its helped with my dreaming awareness.. 

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »
Trance induction and sensory modality

Trance-like states which are often interpreted as religious ecstasy or visions and can be deliberately induced using a variety of techniques, including prayer, religious rituals, meditation, pranayama (breathwork or breathing exercises), physical exercise, coitus (and/or sex), music, dancing, sweating (e.g. sweat lodge), fasting, thirsting, and the consumption of psychotropic drugs such as cannabis. Sensory modality is the channel or conduit for the induction of the trance. Sometimes an ecstatic experience takes place in occasion of contact with something or somebody perceived as extremely beautiful or holy. It may also happen without any known reason. The particular technique that an individual uses to induce ecstasy is usually one that is associated with that individual's particular religious and cultural traditions. As a result, an ecstatic experience is usually interpreted within the context of a particular individual's religious and cultural traditions. These interpretations often include statements about contact with supernatural or spiritual beings, about receiving new information as a revelation, also religion-related explanations of subsequent change of values, attitudes and behaviour (e.g. in case of religious conversion).

Benevolent, neutral and malevolent trances may be induced (intentionally, spontaneously and/or accidentally) by different methods:

Auditory driving through the sense of hearing by chanting, auditory story telling, mantra, overtone singing, drumming, music, etc.;,
Kinesthetic driving through the sense of feeling and movement through the kinesphere by dance, story telling by movement, mudra, embodying rituals, yoga, breathwork,oxygen deprivation, sexual stimulation etc.;
Visual Driving through the sense of sight by yantra, visual story telling, mandala, cinema, theater, art, architecture, beauty, strobe lights, form constants, symmetry;
Olfactory driving through via scent through the sense of smell by perfume, pheromones, incense, flowers, pollen, indeed any scent for which we have an association or memory, etc.;
Gustatory driving through the sense of taste and indigestion; including: starvation, herbs, hallucinogens and drugs. As the intake of food and beverage entails intra-bodily chemical reactions through digestion, some infer that all food may be considered 'medicine' or 'drugs' and therefore contribute to the induction of discernible psycho-physical states (refer Ancient Medicine). It can be attained through the ingestion of psychoactive drugs such as alcohol and opiates, or psychoactive plants and chemicals such as LSD, 2C-I, peyote, marijuana, mescaline, Salvia Divinorum, MDMA, psychedelic mushrooms, or datura (Jimson weed).
and
Disciplines: Yoga, Sufism, Surat Shabd Yoga; meditation; and
Miscellaneously: traumatic accident, sleep deprivation, nitrogen narcosis (deep diving), fever, by the use of a sensory deprivation tank or mind-control techniques, hypnosis, meditation, prayer; and
Naturally occurring: dreams, lucid dreams, euphoria, ecstasy, psychosis as well as purported premonitions, out-of-body experiences, and channeling.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »
Rhythmic induction
The usage of repetitive rhythms to induce trance states is an ancient phenomenon. Throughout the world, shamanistic practitioners have been employing this method for millennia. Anthropologists and other researchers have documented the similarity of shamanistic auditory driving rituals among different cultures.

Said simply, entrainment is the synchronization of different rhythmic cycles. Breathing and heart rate have been shown to be affected by auditory stimulus, along with brain wave activity. The ability of rhythmic sound to affect human brain wave activity, especially theta brain waves, is the essence of auditory driving, and is the cause of the altered states of consciousness that it can induce.

The music genre of Trance is supposed to have the same effect on the human mind as military drums, causing listeners to dance in unison with simple movements including head bobs, light bouncing/jumping and humming.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »
Achieving ecstatic trances is a major activity of shamans, who use ecstasy for such purposes as traveling via the axis mundi to heaven or the underworld, guiding or otherwise interacting with spirits, clairvoyance, and healing. Some shamans use drugs from such plants as peyote and cannabis or certain mushrooms in their attempts to reach ecstasy, while others rely on such non-chemical means as ritual, music, dance, ascetic practices, or visual designs as aids to mental discipline.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk