Author Topic: Ravi Shankar  (Read 76 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Ravi Shankar
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:16:45 PM »
I expect we'll hear any day now that Ravi has died, not that I know he's sick, just that he is quite old.

As a guitarist, I have come to really appreciate and admire his skill, and his touch. It took me awhile to return to him after the 60's and 70's. And he got a bad name among the Indian snobs - you know in the not so distant past it was considered to be a repudiation of your religion to even travel out of India - his playing abroad and with western musicians got up the nose of the Bengali purists.

He has always been flamboyant, and was a member of a successful performing family before he tossed that all in and went to learn the hard way at the feet of Ustad Ali Akbar Khan's father. He dedicated himself to the sitar, and went through the old methods to learn.

For me, he is the finest exponent fret jogging in the world. His later music is best for the slower and subtler complex sounds and rhythms, but he doesn't seem to be able to rock in the fast parts like he did when young - in the middle is the best.

Here is one of the best examples I have found so far from his middle period - rhythmically and sound wise this is bloody good stuff. (Listen to the rhythm in Part 2, esp as it picks up)

It is very large - about 47 Mb each part.

Raga Jogeshwari Part 1
Raga Jogeshwari Part 2

this music is Raga - meaning it is better to sit and listen than play as background. (I have another CD of Ravi's that is better for background listening - a mix of shorter pieces.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk