Author Topic: Dark side of Soy  (Read 228 times)

tangerine dream

Dark side of Soy
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
Only a few decades ago, the soybean was considered unfit to eat - even in Asia. During the Chou Dynasty (1134-246 BC) the soybean was designated one of the five sacred grains, along with barley, wheat, millet and rice. However, the pictograph for the soybean, which dates from earlier times, indicates that it was not first used as a food; for whereas the pictographs for the other four grains show the seed and stem structure of the plant, the pictograph for the soybean emphasizes the root structure. Agricultural literature of the period speaks frequently of the soybean and its use in crop rotation. Apparently the soy plant was initially used as a method of fixing nitrogen.13

The soybean did not serve as a food until the discovery of fermentation techniques, some time during the Chou Dynasty. The first soy foods were fermented products like tempeh, natto, miso and soy sauce. At a later date, possibly in the 2nd century BC, Chinese scientists discovered that a purée of cooked soybeans could be precipitated with calcium sulfate or magnesium sulfate (plaster of Paris or Epsom salts) to make a smooth, pale curd - tofu or bean curd. The use of fermented and precipitated soy products soon spread to other parts of the Orient, notably Japan and Indonesia. The Chinese did not eat unfermented soybeans as they did other legumes such as lentils because the soybean contains large quantities of natural toxins or "antinutrients". First among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. These inhibitors are large, tightly folded proteins that are not completely deactivated during ordinary cooking. They can produce serious gastric distress, reduced protein digestion and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake. In test animals, diets high in trypsin inhibitors cause enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including cancer.

Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.

Trypsin inhibitors and haemagglutinin are growth inhibitors. Weanling rats fed soy containing these antinutrients fail to grow normally. Growth-depressant compounds are deactivated during the process of fermentation, so once the Chinese discovered how to ferment the soybean, they began to incorporate soy foods into their diets. In precipitated products, enzyme inhibitors concentrate in the soaking liquid rather than in the curd. Thus, in tofu and bean curd, growth depressants are reduced in quantity but not completely eliminated.

Soy also contains goitrogens - substances that depress thyroid function.

Soybeans are high in phytic acid, present in the bran or hulls of all seeds. It's a substance that can block the uptake of essential minerals - calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc - in the intestinal tract. Although not a household word, phytic acid has been extensively studied; there are literally hundreds of articles on the effects of phytic acid in the current scientific literature. Scientists are in general agreement that grain- and legume-based diets high in phytates contribute to widespread mineral deficiencies in third world countries.15 Analysis shows that calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc are present in the plant foods eaten in these areas, but the high phytate content of soy- and grain-based diets prevents their absorption.

The soybean has one of the highest phytate levels of any grain or legume that has been studied,16 and the phytates in soy are highly resistant to normal phytate-reducing techniques such as long, slow cooking.17 Only a long period of fermentation will significantly reduce the phytate content of soybeans. When precipitated soy products like tofu are consumed with meat, the mineral-blocking effects of the phytates are reduced. 18 The Japanese traditionally eat a small amount of tofu or miso as part of a mineral-rich fish broth, followed by a serving of meat or fish.

Vegetarians who consume tofu and bean curd as a substitute for meat and dairy products risk severe mineral deficiencies. The results of calcium, magnesium and iron deficiency are well known; those of zinc are less so.

Zinc is called the intelligence mineral because it is needed for optimal development and functioning of the brain and nervous system. It plays a role in protein synthesis and collagen formation; it is involved in the blood-sugar control mechanism and thus protects against diabetes; it is needed for a healthy reproductive system. Zinc is a key component in numerous vital enzymes and plays a role in the immune system. Phytates found in soy products interfere with zinc absorption more completely than with other minerals.19 Zinc deficiency can cause a "spacey" feeling that some vegetarians may mistake for the "high" of spiritual enlightenment.

Milk drinking is given as the reason why second-generation Japanese in America grow taller than their native ancestors. Some investigators postulate that the reduced phytate content of the American diet - whatever may be its other deficiencies - is the true explanation, pointing out that both Asian and Western children who do not get enough meat and fish products to counteract the effects of a high phytate diet, frequently suffer rickets, stunting and other growth problems.20

Soy Protein Isolate: Not So Friendly
Soy processors have worked hard to get these antinutrients out of the finished product, particularly soy protein isolate (SPI) which is the key ingredient in most soy foods that imitate meat and dairy products, including baby formulas and some brands of soy milk.

SPI is not something you can make in your own kitchen. Production takes place in industrial factories where a slurry of soy beans is first mixed with an alkaline solution to remove fiber, then precipitated and separated using an acid wash and, finally, neutralized in an alkaline solution. Acid washing in aluminum tanks leaches high levels of aluminum into the final product. The resultant curds are spray- dried at high temperatures to produce a high-protein powder. A final indignity to the original soybean is high-temperature, high-pressure extrusion processing of soy protein isolate to produce textured vegetable protein (TVP).

Much of the trypsin inhibitor content can be removed through high-temperature processing, but not all. Trypsin inhibitor content of soy protein isolate can vary as much as fivefold.21 (In rats, even low-level trypsin inhibitor SPI feeding results in reduced weight gain compared to controls.22) But high-temperature processing has the unfortunate side-effect of so denaturing the other proteins in soy that they are rendered largely ineffective.23 That's why animals on soy feed need lysine supplements for normal growth.

Nitrites, which are potent carcinogens, are formed during spray-drying, and a toxin called lysinoalanine is formed during alkaline processing.24 Numerous artificial flavorings, particularly MSG, are added to soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein products to mask their strong "beany" taste and to impart the flavor of meat.25

In feeding experiments, the use of SPI increased requirements for vitamins E, K, D and B12 and created deficiency symptoms of calcium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, copper, iron and zinc.26 Phytic acid remaining in these soy products greatly inhibits zinc and iron absorption; test animals fed SPI develop enlarged organs, particularly the pancreas and thyroid gland, and increased deposition of fatty acids in the liver. 27

Yet soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein are used extensively in school lunch programs, commercial baked goods, diet beverages and fast food products. They are heavily promoted in third world countries and form the basis of many food giveaway programs.

In spite of poor results in animal feeding trials, the soy industry has sponsored a number of studies designed to show that soy protein products can be used in human diets as a replacement for traditional foods. An example is "Nutritional Quality of Soy Bean Protein Isolates: Studies in Children of Preschool Age", sponsored by the Ralston Purina Company.28 A group of Central American children suffering from malnutrition was first stabilized and brought into better health by feeding them native foods, including meat and dairy products. Then, for a two-week period, these traditional foods were replaced by a drink made of soy protein isolate and sugar. All nitrogen taken in and all nitrogen excreted was measured in truly Orwellian fashion: the children were weighed naked every morning, and all excrement and vomit gathered up for analysis. The researchers found that the children retained nitrogen and that their growth was "adequate", so the experiment was declared a success.

Whether the children were actually healthy on such a diet, or could remain so over a long period, is another matter. The researchers noted that the children vomited "occasionally", usually after finishing a meal; that over half suffered from periods of moderate diarrhoea; that some had upper respiratory infections; and that others suffered from rash and fever.

It should be noted that the researchers did not dare to use soy products to help the children recover from malnutrition, and were obliged to supplement the soy-sugar mixture with nutrients largely absent in soy products - notably, vitamins A, D and B12, iron, iodine and zinc.

There is much more where this came from, but I think this gives us a good idea that soy is definitely not one of nature's most healthy foods so I see no reason to add it to a diet simply because one is cutting out meat.

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Dark side of Soy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »
Oh this sucks Lori. I was considering going to get some tofu, too.

I think that say, eggs and milk would be ok to eat. I know some veges shun all products. But an egg was never a sentient being (a could've been if you will), so I think eggs would be ok, and milk.

I know beans can be a good source of protein, and theres various faux meats, but what would be a healthy alternative? The soy deal, Ive heard some things but didnt know all of THAT. Thats very negative.

I could maybe limit it to eating meat a few times a week myself. The dalai lama eats meat only every other day, so it breaks down to half the year (hes like half a vege). Its a lot to 'digest' literally if I make the extreme change of cutting out meat, totally. But I still am wondering if I should, not that I could save the animals, cause I cant, but perhaps unbind myself from the wheel a lot more, by rejecting meat.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

tangerine dream

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
Lurking in the background of industry hype for soy is the nagging question of whether it's even legal to add soy protein isolate to food. All food additives not in common use prior to 1958, including casein protein from milk, must have GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) status. In 1972, the Nixon administration directed a re-examination of substances believed to be GRAS, in the light of any scientific information then available. This re-examination included casein protein that became codified as GRAS in 1978. In 1974, the FDA obtained a literature review of soy protein because, as soy protein had not been used in food until 1959 and was not even in common use in the early 1970s, it was not eligible to have its GRAS status grandfathered under the provisions of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.71

The scientific literature up to 1974 recognized many antinutrients in factory-made soy protein, including trypsin inhibitors, phytic acid and genistein. But the FDA literature review dismissed discussion of adverse impacts, with the statement that it was important for "adequate processing" to remove them. Genistein could be removed with an alcohol wash, but it was an expensive procedure that processors avoided. Later studies determined that trypsin inhibitor content could be removed only with long periods of heat and pressure, but the FDA has imposed no requirements for manufacturers to do so.

The FDA was more concerned with toxins formed during processing, specifically nitrites and lysinoalanine.72 Even at low levels of consumption - averaging one-third of a gram per day at the time - the presence of these carcinogens was considered too great a threat to public health to allow GRAS status.

Soy protein did have approval for use as a binder in cardboard boxes, and this approval was allowed to continue, as researchers considered that migration of nitrites from the box into the food contents would be too small to constitute a cancer risk. FDA officials called for safety specifications and monitoring procedures before granting of GRAS status for food. These were never performed. To this day, use of soy protein is codified as GRAS only for this limited industrial use as a cardboard binder. This means that soy protein must be subject to premarket approval procedures each time manufacturers intend to use it as a food or add it to a food.

Soy protein was introduced into infant formula in the early 1960s. It was a new product with no history of any use at all. As soy protein did not have GRAS status, premarket approval was required. This was not and still has not been granted. The key ingredient of soy infant formula is not recognized as safe.

The Next Asbestos?
"Against the backdrop of widespread praise...there is growing suspicion that soy - despite its undisputed benefits - may pose some health hazards," writes Marian Burros, a leading food writer for the New York Times. More than any other writer, Ms Burros's endorsement of a low-fat, largely vegetarian diet has herded Americans into supermarket aisles featuring soy foods. Yet her January 26, 2000 article, "Doubts Cloud Rosy News on Soy", contains the following alarming statement: "Not one of the 18 scientists interviewed for this column was willing to say that taking isoflavones was risk free." Ms Burros did not enumerate the risks, nor did she mention that the recommended 25 daily grams of soy protein contain enough isoflavones to cause problems in sensitive individuals, but it was evident that the industry had recognized the need to cover itself.

Because the industry is extremely exposed...contingency lawyers will soon discover that the number of potential plaintiffs can be counted in the millions and the pockets are very, very deep. Juries will hear something like the following: "The industry has known for years that soy contains many toxins. At first they told the public that the toxins were removed by processing. When it became apparent that processing could not get rid of them, they claimed that these substances were beneficial. Your government granted a health claim to a substance that is poisonous, and the industry lied to the public to sell more soy."

The "industry" includes merchants, manufacturers, scientists, publicists, bureaucrats, former bond financiers, food writers, vitamin companies and retail stores. Farmers will probably escape because they were duped like the rest of us. But they need to find something else to grow before the soy bubble bursts and the market collapses: grass-fed livestock, designer vegetables...or hemp to make paper for thousands and thousands of legal briefs.

Extracted from Nexus Magazine, Volume 7, Number 3 (April-May 2000)

ENDNOTES:

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »
Jesus.

You know Lori - I have really been looking into things and wondered, 'what is safe to eat?' Now, when I met Julie the healer lady, we discussed things also, like 'food' and shit they put in it. A lot of things have got me wondering (and also pharmecutical companies and doctors needing folks to remain sick to stay in business - another topic). But there is really no way to avoid shit, in our food. I do believe its something we really need to become more and more conscious of. I mean, sure, we're all gonna die, but health-wise, whats better for us until we die and ... also things with what may mess up our bodies and hinder us, even our consciousness and awareness. Like the splenda and wood poison and turns to formaldehyde in our stomaches - so I avoid that crap, and soda, not so often do I drink it. But anyway - its really difficult and having to read labels to death, on what we eat and put in our bodies.

But even to go vege and the soy? Then its another thing to educate ourselves on, cause I wouldnt want vege change to actually affect myself negatively either. But the soy and controversy, almost looks as bad as the aspartame controversy, to myself.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

tangerine dream

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:44:09 PM »
Oh this sucks Lori. I was considering going to get some tofu, too.

I think that say, eggs and milk would be ok to eat. I know some veges shun all products. But an egg was never a sentient being (a could've been if you will), so I think eggs would be ok, and milk.

I know beans can be a good source of protein, and theres various faux meats, but what would be a healthy alternative? The soy deal, Ive heard some things but didnt know all of THAT. Thats very negative.

I could maybe limit it to eating meat a few times a week myself. The dalai lama eats meat only every other day, so it breaks down to half the year (hes like half a vege). Its a lot to 'digest' literally if I make the extreme change of cutting out meat, totally. But I still am wondering if I should, not that I could save the animals, cause I cant, but perhaps unbind myself from the wheel a lot more, by rejecting meat.

Vegans should not worry about getting enough protein; if you eat a reasonably varied diet and ingest sufficient calories, you will undoubtedly get enough protein. Protein deficiency, or "kwashiorkor," is very rare in the U.S. and is usually diagnosed in people living in countries suffering from famine.

By contrast, eating too much animal protein has been directly linked to the formation of kidney stones and has been associated with cancer of the colon and liver.5,6 By replacing animal protein with vegetable protein, you can improve your health while enjoying a wide variety of delicious foods.

PROTEIN IN LEGUMES: Garbanzo beans, Kidney beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Navy beans, Soybeans, Split peas

PROTEIN IN GRAINS: Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Millet, Oatmeal, Rye, Wheat germ, Wheat, hard red, Wild rice

VEGETABLE PROTEIN: Artichokes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green peas, Green pepper, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard green, Onions, Potatoes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnip greens, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini

PROTEIN IN FRUITS: Apple, Banana, Cantaloupe, Grape, Grapefruit, Honeydew melon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

PROTEIN IN NUTS AND SEEDS: Almonds, Cashews, Filberts, Hemp Seeds, Peanuts, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts (black)

Hemp Protein
One excellent ingredient to look for is hemp seed protein. Hemp seed is an nutritious dietary source of easily digestible gluten-free protein. It provides a well-balanced array of all the amino acids, including 34.6 grams of protein for each 100 grams. The fatty acid profile of the hemp seed is extremely beneficial, containing omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in a virtually ideal ratio. Other beneficial aspects of hemp seed include a strongly favorable unsaturated-to-saturated fat ratio; a high content of antioxidants; and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
 (I've talked about this recently and absolutely love hemp seeds!)

tangerine dream

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »

also things with what may mess up our bodies and hinder us, even our consciousness and awareness.

This brings to mind the fluoride that is in our toothpaste and in some cases our water.  I dunno if you've read the posts I did on that, but studies have shown fluoride to harm our pineal glands.  Personally I highly value my pineal and it makes me mad that we are force fed something that damages it, especially those of us with spiritual minded goals.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:48:55 PM by dream »

Online Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:08:01 PM »
This brings to mind the fluoride that is in our toothpaste and in some cases our water.  I dunno if you've read the posts I did on that, but studies have shown fluoride to harm our pineal glands.  Personally I highly value my pineal and it makes me mad that we are force fed something that damages it, especially those of us with spiritual minded goals.

Oh I remember - remember I mentioned Julie recommended Toms toothpaste? Best I could find was childrens excluding fluoride. And it is true, its not necessarily the safest thing. I mean, yes it can help teeth from rotting - but still there are other things involved and I wonder, isnt there enough chemists who are brilliant on the planet, to figure out a better, more healthier way to purify our water?

Theres a lot of greed involved I believe - esp per the aspartame passing - which that thing was highly controversial - now many just 'accept it' in their diet drinks and shake it in their iced tea, on their cereal and so forth.

I know one of the ladies at my works uses splenda but shes diabetic - I tho't about that too... per sweetners which are artificial and diabetes - what can be safe for someone diabetic?

tangerine dream

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
Oh I remember - remember I mentioned Julie recommended Toms toothpaste? Best I could find was childrens excluding fluoride.

Tom's uses sodium laureth sulfate, so I advise against that.  Since it is known to be an irritant and possible carcinogen among other things.  If you want, check the posts at the GG for more info, I wrote tunz on healthy fluoride free toothpastes.

I know one of the ladies at my works uses splenda but shes diabetic - I tho't about that too... per sweetners which are artificial and diabetes - what can be safe for someone diabetic?

So much controversy on artificial sweeteners, too.  Even for diabetics, they are just not healthy. 

I know it sounds scary and can be overwhelming, so much info and so many lies we've been told about what's good for us and what's not.  But the thing to remember is your body doesn't lie and often you will get signals when you eat something that's not good for you. 

Really, they key is to just be aware of what we are putting in our bodies, read the labels and do  research so we know what a little bit about we are reading when we do so. 
The cool thing is there are many many companies and stores now that want to help you eat properly and as healthily as you can.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:27:37 PM by dream »

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »
Only a few decades ago, the soybean was considered unfit to eat - even in Asia. During the Chou Dynasty (1134-246 BC) the soybean was designated one of the five sacred grains, along with barley, wheat, millet and rice.

Lori.. do you have a link to the site where this came from?
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

tangerine dream

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
Lori.. do you have a link to the site where this came from?

Extracted from Nexus Magazine, Volume 7, Number 3 (April-May 2000)

You can find the article Published on the Web
here http://www.healingcrow.com/soy/soy.html

Related Sites:
Soy and Our Health
Soyand Accelerated Brain Aging
NoSoy -Support for Soy Allergies

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:02:30 AM by Celesta »

tangerine dream

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »
TOFU

It's often touted as some kind of miracle food especially among vegetarians, but  actually has less health benefits than you've been led to beleive and may actually be harmful.

Soy in general was not intended for humnan consumption,  chinese in the beginning used it as fuel and only ingested it after it had been fermented (soy sauce) or in small doses as it is hard to digest. 

~
 Soy is one of eight foods responsible for the majority of food allergies, and one of five foods most commonly associated with food allergies in children. People with a soy allergy can suffer everything from hives and diarrhea to breathing difficulties upon eating this food. Furthermore. just as some people have lactose intolerance, there are others who have soy intolerance. (While food allergies involve the immune system, food intolerance is caused by an enzyme deficiency).

In recent years, soy's detractors have made other claims that are both more serious and harder to prove. For example, a groundbreaking study by the Pacific Health Research Institute links high levels of tofu consumption with cognitive impairment and the development of Alzheimer's disease in later life.

There is increasing concern that eating large amounts of soy can affect thyroid function. Particularly worrisome is the presence of phytoestrogens in soy-based infant formulas (isoflavones are a category of phytoestrogen). Critics point out that the level of phytoestrogens in soy-based formula is over 20,000 times that found in breast milk. In a 1999 press release, the Canadian Health Coalition stated that consumption of soy formulas could lead to a host of health problems, including thyroid dysfunction, and ADD, ADHD.

More here:
http://www.utne.com/2007-07-01/TheDarkSideofSoy.aspx

A Honolulu study "provides evidence that soy (tofu) phytoestrogens cause vascular dementia. Given that estrogens are important for maintenance of brain function in women; that the male brain contains aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to estradiol; and that isoflavones inhibit this enzymatic activity, there is a mechanistic basis for the human findings." [3]

While soybeans are relatively high in protein compared to other legumes, Enig says they are a poor source of protein because other proteins found in soybeans act as potent enzyme inhibitors. These "anti-nutrients" block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion. Trypsin inhibitors are large, tightly folded proteins that are not completely deactivated during ordinary cooking and can reduce protein digestion. Therefore, soy consumption may lead to chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake.

http://www.rense.com/general3/soy.htm

In comparing the dietary habits and health of the Japanese-American men in the study group between 1965 and 1993, Dr. Lon White said the scientists found "a significant link between tofu consumption during midlife and loss of mental ability and even loss of brain weight."

Also there have been many studies done that highlight the alarming amount of Aluminum in Tofu, possibly due to a processing method. 

Jahn

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:31:58 AM »
Soy in general was not intended for humnan consumption,  chinese in the beginning used it as fuel and only ingested it after it had been fermented (soy sauce) or in small doses as it is hard to digest. 

Fermented soy sauce - Tamari, and fermented paste - Miso. That is the only Soy products that the Macrobiotics use (I think).

tangerine dream

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 04:35:32 AM »
Fermented soy sauce - Tamari, and fermented paste - Miso. That is the only Soy products that the Macrobiotics use (I think).

I think you are right.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »
Tempeh is the other Soy fermented product that is supposed to be alright.
I like the occasional tempeh burger.

Soy milk is generally considered a real worry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk