Author Topic: The Shaman Sickness  (Read 381 times)

tangerine dream

The Shaman Sickness
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:55:11 AM »
Schizophrenia: The Shaman Sickness

The path is always lonely and demanding for those called to shamanism, and doubly so for those who must contend with Western culture's refusal to accept the overwhelming reality of the disturbing realms of vision and torment in which these potential shamans dwell. Along with having to endure the loss of ego stability, hence the frightening blurring of outer and inner realites, sufferers of schizophrenia are often forced to contend with psychiatric notions, ruled by the Apollonian myth of reason, monotheism and normality, which demand that such "deviant" Dionysian states be subdued with medication, or punished with incarceration in mental institutions.

The schizophrenic's reason and senses, like those of the shaman during initiation, are assaulted by concrete revelations of the heights and depths of the vast Otherworlds of the collective unconscious. Simultaneously, the schizophrenic is forced to slot into the sometimes petty humdrum and routine of daily existence. The invasion of the ego by archetypal forces transforms the individual profoundly and irreversibly; no-one who has endured such a crisis can confine the expanded horizons of their consciousness to the tame boundaries of cultural norms. Yet instead of encouraging and bolstering the development of such transcendental levels of awareness, mainstream psychiatry seeks - out of fear of the unknown, the unconscious, the numinous, the irrational and the abnormal - to stifle it under the euphemistic and patronising guise of 'treatment'.
The schizophrenic, being intensely introverted is automatically poorly adapted in a society which narrowly defines personal identity in terms of appearance, behaviour and social status. S/he lives in a discontinuous reality which can become a terrifying bombardment of overlapping realities, voices and chaotic perceptions. Everything takes on mythical overtones. The players in the archetypal dramas are often gods who are potentially both benevolent and destructive. Mainstream psychiatry deals with this overload by numbing the mind and trying to force the individual to readjust to cultural norms. At the same time, the "patient" is robbed of a unique mode of learning that many schizophrenics sense to be immensely valuable and worth pursuing. And unfortunately the law is in the psychiatrists' hands to take away what others treasure as an experience of the awesome power of the sacred.

Soul Loss & the Land of the Dead
If the schizophrenic is overwhelmed and debilitated by experiences on which the mystic thrives, the shaman treads, or rather hops along a multidirectional path between centred focus and woundedness, fragmentation and soul pathology. In shamanic ecstatic trance, the ego is not submerged but rather deliberately and temporarily displaced, destabilised or disempowered for the purpose of trance-journeying. The schizophrenic's loss of ego, however, does not parallel the mature and responsible shaman's subsequent healing vocation; it is rather akin to shamanic initiation, which can be quite traumatic or devastating,

As Jung notes, activation of the Land of the Dead is often associated with soul loss. In 1916, shortly before his uncanny experience of a band of spirits from ancient Jerusalem visiting his home and ringing the doorbell, Jung wrote down a fantasy of his soul having flown away from him. Since the soul as anima is mediatrix to the unconscious, in a sense she relates as well to the realm of the dead, since the unconscious corresponds to the ancestral, mythic land of the dead. Hence if one fantasises about the soul vanishing, it means that it has withdrawn into the unconscious as the land of the dead. Here, as Jung notes, it produces an animation which gives visible forms to the ancestral traces, this giving the dead a chance to manifest themselves. Soon after the disappearance of Jung's soul, the dead appeared to him and the result was his Seven Sermons to the Dead, written in the person of his (then) spirit guide, the Gnostic scholar Basilides. Jung considered this to be an instance of loss of soul, which, as he notes, is a phenomenon often found among primitives. (4)

Interestingly, one eulogy for Jung contained the remark that he was a schizophrenic who healed himself, precisely the definition of an initiated shaman. Indeed, a discussion of the blatant shamanic elements of Jung's life forms a fascinating study in itself. Briefly and broadly, I'll mention here his converse with his spirit guides, which included a Wise Old Man figure, Philemon, and later his attendant, the blind girl Salome; his detailed and vivid familiarity with the landscapes of the collective unconscious, his shamanic ability to help others navigate this potentially dangerous terrain, his prophetic and sometimes disturbingly powerful dreams and visions, his early fear of madness and his double personality, his shamanic dream of becoming a woman, and his initiatiory midlife crisis that began with his taking a courageous plunge alone into the Abyss.

Jung, although he does not denigrate shamanism, nonetheless views it early in his career as an expression of a primitive consciousness which views soul as external, or projected, while contemporary therapists tend to focus on psyche as an inner structure and dynamic. But these either-or perspectives are, I suggest, both inadequate spatial metaphors, or verbal conventions that say little about how we and the World actually experience soul. Jung's later experiences, for instance, betray his own externalization of soul, as is revealed when he recounts in his autobiography that he feels at times 'spread out over the landscape and inside things and am myself living in every tree, in the plashing of the waves, in the clouds and animals that come and go, in the procession of the seasons . . .' Further on, Jung ends his autobiography with the confession that 'plants, animals, clouds, day and night' fill him such that he feels a 'kinship with all things.'(5)

If, then, individuation does not shut one out from the world but rather gathers the world to itself, so soul-making gathers the individual to all-pervasive soul, anima mundi expanding into the even more inclusive sphere of unus mundus. Here, through the explosion of the isolated ego, soul's diffusive movement outward meets soul's infusive movement from outer to inner as the two merge in an imaginal Cosmos, whose Centre, as all shamans know (through 'gnosis'), is everywhere.

Schizophrenia as Initiation
Many diagnosed schizophrenics will deny that their condition is primarily an illness:
"It certainly feels more like an initiation of some kind," expands Chris. "For all the pain it has brought me, I wouldn't be without it, as it has made me so much more aware of a lot of things."
Another example: Sadie had graduated from university not long before succumbing to schizophrenia at the age of 24.

"I could say that it happened overnight, that I suddenly found myself in an intensely strange, terrifying yet beautiful place; but it would also be true that it had been coming to a head for some time. I'd had a strange sense that it was going to happen for many years, and had read fairly widely on the subject, but as it turned out, nothing really could have prepared me for it when it did finally come. I was more lost than I ever would have thought it possible to be."

Friends and family were disturbed by the change that came over her, and within two months she was admitted to a psychiatric hospital.
"The last thing I wanted was to go there. The way I felt at the time, I felt it would destroy me to go in there, but I was powerless to resist. I'd lost the ability to express myself - words held too much meaning. I would listen to something as banal as a football match commentary, and to me it would be the story of the last battle of the gods. Everything was so vast, so deeply mythological. I'd see the arcane history of the world in everything, every little detail would hold another clue, and I was trying to hold all this information together, launched upon a mythic quest that terrified and excited me in ways far more real, far more vivid, than my life ever had up to that point."

Sadie later added:
"Yet as a direct result of my experiences, I've been able to pull my friends out of psychoses which otherwise would have held them fast. Shamans are able to make it through the confusion because there are older shamans who have been there themselves, and can help them. I have a few friends who are diagnosed with schizophrenia, and we all feel this way."
But if there are medications that will help the schizophrenic to function again, why don't they want to take them? Why are they so distrustful of the medical profession?

"To be honest, I don't think your average psychiatrist really has a clue," said Chris, a little guardedly. "My psychiatrist has never even read any Jung. It's impossible for me to respect that, and dangerous for me to allow him to administer drugs that affect my mind. It is, after all, my mind. My medication makes me very lethargic, but I'm bullied into taking it, and my appeals to reduce it, gradually, aren't considered. People are horrified at the thought of Medieval tooth-pullers, and I think as we learn more about the mind, in years to come people will feel much the same way about our psychiatrists. My doctor kept trying to make me believe that the things I was seeing and hearing and feeling were delusions, whatever he thought he meant by that. But what I was experiencing was real, in the truest sense of the word. The experiences of schizophrenics are incredibly similar to each other."

Sadie's thoughts ran along similar lines.
"The doctors are just on the look-out for symptoms that match what it says in their medication manuals . . . My medication made me sluggish. I wasn't myself. I was existing, but not living . . . . If I complained, or questioned the way I was being treated, my behaviour became, in the eyes of the doctors and nurses, symptomatic of the schizophrenia. There was no way I could win. I made a decision to gradually phase myself off the medication that had been forced on me, although I was very afraid to do so."

"I still see and hear things though. In fact, it is largely through characters I have met in my dreams that I have been able to work out how to help myself. In other words, by immersion in what I have been experiencing, rather than trying to block it out."

Drum healing is also helpful:
"I think it's the beat, the rhythm", adds Chris. It does wonderful things to your mind. Since I started dancing in this way, I haven't felt the need to take any kind of drug. I'd love to get a group of people together to visit schizophrenics and all sit round in a circle somewhere playing hand drums, bongos and whatever. Methods like this have been used for thousands of years to pull people out of psychoses. I think we need to try more ways of helping these people to get their lives back. I know it can work - I have my life back, better than ever. And it's all the more precious for having gone away."

More here:
http://www.jungcircle.com/embrace.html" http://www.jungcircle.com/embrace.html

nichi

Re: The Shaman Sickness
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:40:42 AM »
If the upshot of this is that there "is no such thing as" schizophrenia, then I have to urgently disagree. It's a romantic notion, imo, aided and abetted by stories like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

All I can tell someone who believes this is to go work in psych hospitals or some mental health setting which serves the chronically mentally ill. You will learn the difference between an initiation which has gone awry, and a qualitative thing which is called schizophrenia.

tangerine dream

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:47:57 AM »
Just doing some reading and I found the article interesting.

As for working in a mental hospital....
No thank you.   :-\

nichi

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:51:04 AM »
Well, my point being .. walk among the chronically mentally ill before drawing conclusions. There is a difference between them and you/me. You can feel it the moment you walk into a room where they meet, if you're a sensitive.

tangerine dream

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:36:01 AM »
Well, my point being .. walk among the chronically mentally ill before drawing conclusions. There is a difference between them and you/me. You can feel it the moment you walk into a room where they meet, if you're a sensitive.

Like I said, I draw no conclusions, just sharing.  Though it does seem that the lines are fuzzy here.   Where to draw the lines? 

I've not worked in an institution like you have, but I've volunteered in one for a year or so and that was more than enough for me. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:38:13 AM by shine »

nichi

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:59:50 AM »
Can one accomplish the daily tasks of living?
Can one negotiate the simple tasks of being in the world -- in this culture, for example, that could be making change at the cash register, handling superficial communication in the course of doing business, buying groceries?
Can one structure one's day -- acquire and attend a job?

There are a number of conditions which would create a low level of functioning in today's world, but you asked where one would draw a line --- this where the line begins to be drawn. Is one unable to care for self?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:07:27 AM by nichi »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:14:52 AM »
Actually the border line between early shamanic experiences and mental illness is very thin - both are an excursion into a land of complete worldly-self breakdown. I know exactly what it's like to be unable to handle my own change at the cash register, conducting simple communications, structuring life and so forth. But it goes further, as those things are only the outer manifestation of an inner world that has no anchor.

The mentally ill arrive involuntary, while the shaman arrives voluntary - and that in itself can be of some support to the shaman, though not much. Both have lost societies gift of an anchor - the shaman because she is purposely seeking to break that rope.

The shaman has to endure a period of being without one anchor, while awaiting for the next to appear - the shaman's anchor - which if correctly prepared will be waiting just below the useful surface.

In successful cases it eventually rises to usefulness, but that can take years, and in the mean time, the other preparation she should have received is the Warrior's Way. That, when correctly developed, acts as a bridge - basically she is able to carry through the nightmare by sheer dint of momentum - it is a repetitive learned skill, with no justification whatsoever: we push on because we push on, with our feet touching no ground.

The big difference between the shaman and the mentally ill, is that for those shamans who survive, they 'return' to full functionality in the world. There are many who never return, and the mentally ill also often don't return - they have no path back.

But the mentally ill are coached to return with flimsy tools, and yet those tools can be very useful for survival. The shaman is really in a totally different category, as they have a purpose and should have superior tools for return. But as I say, many shamans never return - no one has ever said this path is not dangerous.

There is a moment when both are in a very similar space, but the difference soon makes itself apparent - one ship has a rudder, even if it seems useless for a long time. The other ship has no rudder. I can't stress how important that distinction is.

If you are watching for a shaman to re-emerge from the cave of the underworld, you are pinning all your hopes on the quality of her rudder, which should have been diligently prepared by her teacher. If the rudder fails, all is lost.

nichi

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
The shaman is really in a totally different category, as they have a purpose and should have superior tools for return.

yes.

I like to use this practical device.
You can ask a shaman about that time s/he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and wasn't that a heck of an experience?
But you can't really ask a schizophrenic about that time s/he was practicing shamanism -- not in any useful way. Even if such a person dabbled before their first breaks, it's woven into some tapestry of what was. A time before the fall.

We've all had those times we couldn't make change, for one reason or another. But we've been pliable and returned to straddle both worlds.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:28:10 AM by nichi »

tangerine dream

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:29:37 AM »
I know exactly what it's like to be unable to handle my own change at the cash register, conducting simple communications, structuring life and so forth.

Yes, me too. 
Thankful to be able to say that was then and all's well, now.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »
Excellent find Shine, interesting and well versed thread.  :-*

There is a very thin rim in places along that edge.. but I think its vital to the shaman's purpose to fall many times along the way.. flying back out is never a 'given' but a must for survival not only for herself but for ALL.... to strengthen and learn the way of that land.

It can be so overwhelming you forget..

Awareness.. lest you be 'lost'

I wouldn't recommend going there unprepared.

The path is always lonely and demanding for those called to shamanism, and doubly so for those who must contend with Western culture's refusal to accept the overwhelming reality of the disturbing realms of vision and torment in which these potential shamans dwell. Along with having to endure the loss of ego stability, hence the frightening blurring of outer and inner realites, sufferers of schizophrenia are often forced to contend with psychiatric notions, ruled by the Apollonian myth of reason, monotheism and normality, which demand that such "deviant" Dionysian states be subdued with medication, or punished with incarceration in mental institutions.

Eh.. flip a coin.. who's crazy?

Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline TIOTIT

• Yogi
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:54:23 PM »
Itzhak Bentov...had some things to say about this...
his book Stalking the Wild Pendulum and a documentary
From Atom To Consciousness are worth tracking down.

tangerine dream

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 02:19:44 AM »
Itzhak Bentov...had some things to say about this...
his book Stalking the Wild Pendulum and a documentary
From Atom To Consciousness are worth tracking down.

Thank TIO, will look for this book.

Thanks Jennifer, too.
 :-*

I had an interesting visit at work today.   Strange creature he was, beautiful long shiny black hair.  Smelled of patchouli.   Shifted me instantly.

tangerine dream

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »
Found more info on the distinction between Shamans and not-Shamans. Energetically, they are different. 

Ya know, for everyone who gets tested (by Spirit), of course, not all will pass the test.  -- Maybe part of the the difference, too is in their resilience, their power to become.  (my ideas)

"What is a shaman energetically?
Energetically, a shaman is a nugget.

When you look at human energy, what you see is that nice big shape with all that stuff roiling inside and all the areas of a person's energy and all the lines that go together to make them up. But when you look at a shaman who's about ready to go, you don't see the bubble anymore; all you see is a nugget. Everything else has been erased - everything else is gone. There's just a nugget and one line that carries them into the center of creation. Where they go ? I don't know. I don't know any that have ever come back. Maybe it's just another foolish way to die.

http://www.shamanscave.com/postcards_from_the_shadows/shamanism_101/what_is_a_shaman_energetically

tangerine dream

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:20:47 PM »
Schizophrenia Screening Quiz
The following screening measure was developed by Psych Central,
based upon the symptoms of schizophrenia. It is a temporary
quiz and has only limited validity at this time.
Please interpret your results cautiously.

Instructions: This free screening test is for anyone who wants to see if they may have the symptoms commonly associated with a schizophrenia-specific disorder, such as Schizophrenia or schizophreniform disorder. This quiz does not tell you if you have one of these disorders. Answer the questions below based upon how you currently feel or have felt in the past month.

1. I feel that others control what I think and feel.

2. I hear or see things that others do not hear or see.

3. I feel it is very difficult for me to express myself in words that others can understand.

4. I feel I share absolutely nothing in common with others, including my friends and family.

5. I believe in more than one thing about reality and the world around me that nobody else seems to believe in.

6. Others don't believe me when I tell them the things I see or hear.

7. I can't trust what I'm thinking because I don't know if it's real or not.

8. I have magical powers that nobody else has or can explain.

9. Others are plotting to get me.

10. I find it difficult to get a hold of my thoughts.

11. I am treated unfairly because others are jealous of my special abilities.

12. I talk to another person or other people inside my head that nobody else can hear.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/schizophrenia.htm

Interesting set of questions

tangerine dream

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
First of all, your shamanic calling may be revealed by the following marks dating back to your birth or early childhood: .

Does any of your parents have paranormal abilities, such as predictive dreams, telepathy or a real tarot reading talent? Or are they able to cure or relieve physical pains by using hands? This sign is stronger if the gifted parent is the mother, because the mother-to-children transmission is more frequent. Also a gifted grandparent may apply.

Were you born "with a caul", which is a thin membrane enveloping the head? This is worldwide recognized as a sign of a special relationship with the Spirit Worlds.

Were you born with extra fingers or toes? It's a typical sign of a shamanic calling.

Are you or have you been epileptic? You may be called to something important, possibly to shamanship, but it's not sure.

Have you a physical impairment dating back to childhood or birth? Especially deafness and limp may be signs of a shamanic calling

Other bodily marks not always dating back to childhood or birth are:

Have you been struck by a lightning or by a high-power electric shock? Whether it happened when a child or grown-up, it's a very certain sign of shamanic calling

Have you fortunately survived a fire or a shipwreck? Or have you been on the verge of drowning?

Have you fallen sick from a seemingly serious and odd-symptomed disease, which doctors found difficult to classify?
This is the classical sacred illness, quite a certain sign of a shamanic calling.

Have you survived a deep coma or an apparent death?
According to shamans, you have gone to the Land of the Dead and have returned. A person usually brings back shamanic powers from such a terrifying and dangerous journey.

Have you recovered from a serious disease, even if different from the cases H and I? It may be a sacred illness anyway, but it's not sure.

Do you suffer from a chronical and incurable illness? This may be a different kind of sacred illness

B to K bodily marks are uncommon and typical of great shamans-to-be.
More frequent signs concern personality:

When a child, would you feel the urge to go into the wild alone for long periods, possibly to spend nights there? This is a typical sign of shamanic calling.

As a child, were you a loner? Did people consider you eccentric or "different"?

Have you seen, as a child or grown-up, glimpses of the future or had repeated cases of verifiable déjà-vu? E.g. while going to an unknown place, have you ever happened to be aware of what lies around the corner, to tell somebody and then to prove it correct? Cases of not verified déjà vu don't apply.

Have you ever shown power to cure illness or to relieve physical pains, e.g. by praying over or imposing hands on a sick person? Events of self-healing don't apply.

Have you ever seen ghosts or UFOs or felt that Spirits have contacted you someway?

Have you happened to encounter the same animal several times in different dreams? Or have you repeatedly encountered the same teacher figure, i.e. a wise and authorative man or woman, possibly an Indian or other Native? They are Guardian Spirits, entering your dreams to call you to shamanize.

Have you had several dreams that predicted the future or that showed present or past events you didn't know of, but you could verify later?

Do you often have vivid and uncommon dreams? This means that your soul is attracted by the Other Reality and it may be a hallmark of shamanic calling.

In this ordinary reality, have you met with the same animals a great deal of times, possibly in unusual ways?

Do you have the urge to learn how to become a shaman? This is one most reliable marks of your shamanic calling, especially if you don't realize the motive of it and the urge is very pressing.

Results

If you answered yes to 1 (or more) of the A to K questions and to no less than 3 out of the 1 to 10 questions, congratulations! I wish you the best luck for your future life as a shaman! Your calling can be considered certain, even though you still need that the Spirits confirms it.
Same result if you answered yes to 2 of the A to K questions plus to 2 of the 1 to 10 questions.

In case you answered yes to 1 of the A to K questions and to 2 of the 1 to 10 questions, your calling is pretty sure

Did you reply yes to 1 of the A to K questions and to 1 of the 1-10 questions? Your shamanic calling is nearly certain

You answered yes to 3 questions? Your calling to become a shaman is likely.

If you only replied yes to 2 questions out of the 1 to 10 set, your calling is very possible, but less sure.

There may be other signs of shamanic calling anyway - if you believe to be called to shamanize and especially if you answered yes to the question # 10, be free to contact me.

http://shamanism.ws/calling.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk