Author Topic: Applying Buddhism in daily life  (Read 50 times)

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Applying Buddhism in daily life
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
Juhani has been asking questions on the Lamrim and how I apply it to life, my knowledge. I have admittedly said I am in a learning phase on the Lamrim. If you ask me about rinzai zen, I can say much more. Any tibetan buddhism I feel like im in first grade, so technicalities are not easy to give one.

I can say like the dalai lama says, overall its about loving-kindness. I have learned that compassion, loving-kindness, and bodhicitta are the bedrock of buddhism. What appeals to me is many things: Buddhism is not necessarily esoteric or phenomenal, still those labels can apply. But it is practical, so even one who either a) believes in a higher power or b) doesnt believe in a higher power can be a buddhist. also, you dont have to be a buddhist to apply certain principles to life.

I view all sentient beings as worthy of life. I do this because Buddhism has convinced me, that all sentient beings have buddha nature. Even parasites or dreaded 'fliers.' Even things we may deem as dark and evil, have it. There could be no oneness, if this were not so.

I view however, that there are those who've damned themselves so hardcore that theyve got lifetimes to achieve something like bodhicitta, so we can only hope theyll get it sooner than later.

I admire the fact the path not only offers a way off the wheel, which I accept there is a wheel of suffering, of life and death, a way to be free of it.

and this wheel suffering, life and death can occur repetitively in one lifetime, we should know this. One can die and be born again more than once. Dont worry about the naysayers this is so However, vow breaking and doing it again, harder if you keep repeating the folly of this.

We do not know our minds and ourselves, buddhism is right on this. its just the way it is. We dont know our minds because over time we developed our ego. We began it at various stages, with parents, then friends, then society. Then we look in the mirror and say, "who are you, really, o stranger who looks back at me?"

Many hear the story of Buddha and find he found peace. We can relate to buddha more easily. We might be one of those folks who doesnt want to see Jesus suffer for our sins cause he takes a blow over and over for the sinners. Its not just a one time deal on the cross, its repetitive.

Both christianity and buddhim teach suffering. Difft ways out. One says go thru the son he offers a gift, but to open the gift, he suffers. Id rather take the gift and deal with mara myself. Its chancy, but then, I take on suffering myself and fight the battle myself.

Its a battle but the overall aim is peace and it can only be won with the dharma, and practicing the basics, loving-kindness, and the desire to see all sentient beings free.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

erik

Re: Applying Buddhism in daily life
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:36:06 AM »
It's a good post, Ellen. Thanks!

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Applying Buddhism in daily life
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »
It's a good post, Ellen. Thanks!

You're welcome, Juhani ;)

"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk