Author Topic: Chicken Soup  (Read 147 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Chicken Soup
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »
How I just made a vat of chicken soup:

4 chicken breasts in huge stockpot filled 2/3 water.
4 stalks celery
3 bunches of scallions
4 carrots
the corn from 10 cobs (about 4 cans' worth)
4 eggs
4 cans stewed tomatoes (or 10-12 tomatoes, diced)
12 oz pasta (any small-cut pasta, like penne or rigatoni or bow-ties or macaroni)
5 cubes chicken boullion
big handful of garlic salt
tablespoon black pepper
tablespoon and 1/2 dried oregano
2 tsps dried basil

1/2 cup merlot

Boil up the chicken -- remove from water and dice/shred/debone. (Then return to the soup.)
While shredding the chicken, I throw in the rest of the ingredients, in the boiling water, though I save the wine for about 20 minutes later.

About the eggs: I boil the eggs for 14 minutes before taking them out, shelling them, and returning the egg to the soup.

This recipe is from an Italian relative. Easy to make.

Even my surly niece liked it.  :)
Bon Appetit.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Chicken Soup
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »
It's really good with garlic bread, and frankly, a little grated parmesan or romano wouldn't have been bad at all as a garnish..
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:51:43 AM »
It sounds really good v, but knowing my crazy self, Id toss tobasco in it, lol
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »
That would be fine!   :) :-*
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
Recently made a natch of this: heavy on the red curry and cumin.

I've had a real craving for the curry, if one can 'crave' a spice!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »
Anne Burell... adds lemon (juice and slices), cinnamon, and nutmeg to her chicken soup: sounds interesting!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
That doesn't sound close to anything we make. Julie is preparing a chicken soup now, but she adds barley.

I can understand the corn, but curious as to the result with tomatoes, eggs and pasta - it does have an Italian air about it.

We tend to add a thing called vegetable stock instead of salt, and I would use fresh garlic (and ginger knowing me).

Talking of salt, I have just read an article about all kinds of salt: Pink salt, Black Indian salt, Cyprus lemon salt, Cyprus black salt, Hawaiian salt, French sea salt, Italian sea salt, Grey salt, Celtic salt, Fleur de Sel, Flake salt etc - all used for different cooking purposes

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »
The corn was my embellishment ... but the main recipe hails from an Italian uncle -- so yes, Italian it is!

Barley sounds really good!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »
Anne Burell... adds lemon (juice and slices), cinnamon, and nutmeg to her chicken soup: sounds interesting!

I add a bit of lemon juice to my chicken soup, too.  And to many of my cream soups,  just adds another layer of flavour,  kind of rounding out the salty-savoury-ness of it.

We tend to add a thing called vegetable stock instead of salt, and I would use fresh garlic (and ginger knowing me).

Talking of salt, I have just read an article about all kinds of salt: Pink salt, Black Indian salt, Cyprus lemon salt, Cyprus black salt, Hawaiian salt, French sea salt, Italian sea salt, Grey salt, Celtic salt, Fleur de Sel, Flake salt etc - all used for different cooking purposes

Michael I like to use vegetable stock, too.  I actually use it in a lot of my cooking, rice dishes, veggies,  addds a much rounder fuller flavour than salt.

I've been looking at different kinds and colours of rock salt lately too.   Interesting and apparently very good for you,  depending on the mining conditions.   *Assuming care and impeccability were used in the process rather than exploitation etc.**

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk