Author Topic: Sushi -- brain food  (Read 153 times)

tangerine dream

Sushi -- brain food
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
And heart food.  And much much more.  :)

The main ingredients in most sushi is fish, and a little rice.  It may contain veggies, such as avocado, cucumber and may be wrapped in good for you seaweed called Nori.

Fish is widely recognized as a very healthful food. High in protein and low in fat, countless types of fish are actually staples in many parts of the world. Even those fish that are higher in fat are still healthful and heart friendly, unlike many terrestrial meats that can be high in saturated fats. Most fish is high in the particular types of fats referred to as "Omega-3" fatty acids. These fats are essential to the human diet as we do not synthesize them biologically, and we must either consume the particular Omega-3s that our bodies require, or their precursor fatty acids which the body converts into the fats we use.

Today, Omega-3 fatty acids are considered quite beneficial to cardiovascular health and seafood consumption is suggested by doctors the world around. Today, many people take Omega-3 supplements, generally called 'fish oil' or "Omega 3 Oil," to incorporate more of these fatty acids into their diet, however deep, cold water fish are also excellent sources of Omega-3 fatty acids, and tasty too, so  go ahead and eat sushi!

For a person with normal health, sushi has many health benefits. All dishes (excluding eel, and some fusion style sushi) are low in saturated fat and high in protein. There may be a slight load in carbohydrates in thick sushi rolls which contain more rice, but it is negligible for nigiri sushi since they are small in amount.

High content of fish oil is the main health factor which promotes a healthy cardiovascular system. The hikarimono, or shiny fishes (mackerel, Spanish mackerel, sardine, Pacific Saury) contain the highest amounts of EPA and DHA omega3 fats. (Ironically they are the least expensive fishes). These fishes are also high in vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant.

Nori contains a great source of minerals found in the ocean and vinegar acts as an important factor in promoting cell metabolism. People who use vinegar frequently (to dress salads, blend with soy sauce, or drink in small amounts (please refer to rice vinegar in choosing the best ingredients) have lower percentages of body fat.   

Unfortunately, people with type I or II diabetes should stay away from sushi, and stick to sashimi. Individuals with high blood pressure must limit their use of soy sauce

Thankfully sushi is not a particularly fattening food, and a low calorie meal is not out of the cards if you have a craving for sushi. While rice contains a fair amount of carbohydrates, sushi can be eaten without it (as sashimi) and in moderation, even a standard sushi item can be a healthful treat without breaking the calorie bank.

Restaurants with a preference for flavor over calorie watching may also add ingredients, such as mayonnaise to some rolls, which will increase their caloric values, but if you make them at home, you know exactly what is in the mix.

As well sushi comes with two delicious sides for added flavour and zing!   You may want to try wasabi with your suhi for an added kick, or some pickled ginger for a tasty, but less spicy flavour treat.   Wasabi is believed to act as an antidote to food poisoning, which is a useful property when served with fresh raw fish. The health benefits of wasabi are cancer prevention, preventing harmful blood clots, preventing cavities.  As well it has anti-asthmatic properties, antibiotic, anti-coagulant and antimicrobial properties.   And it can certainly clear your sinuses.

Although pickled ginger is a little more mild and less zippy then fresh raw ginger, it still possesses all of the health benefits.  Historically, ginger has a long tradition of being very effective in alleviating symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. In herbal medicine, ginger is regarded as an excellent carminative (promotes the elimination of intestinal gas) and intestinal spasmolytic (relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract). Modern scientific research has revealed that ginger possesses numerous therapeutic properties including antioxidant effects, an ability to inhibit the formation of inflammatory compounds, and direct anti-inflammatory effects.

So go ahead and eat your sushi as often as you like, and when you do, you might want to remind yourself that not only are you enjoying yourself; you are also doing somethign great for your heart, brain, and well-being.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:37:45 PM by Celesta »

tangerine dream

Re: Sushi -- brain food
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
Sushi is defined as vinegared rice with a topping or filling. Contrary to popular belief, sushi does not mean raw fish. Sushi doesn't even have to contain fish, though it most always does. There are vegetarian varieties of sushi, sushi with cooked fish, sushi with fish marinated until it is effectively cooked, sushi with fish roe, sushi with egg, etc.

There are many different types of Sushi, but here are some of the most common varieties.

Nigri-sushi, or hand-formed sushi, is the most commonly known sushi. It consists of a small rectangular or oval shaped pad of pressed rice with a neta, or topping. It may or may not have a bit of wasabi between the rice and topping, and may or may not have a band of nori holding the topping to the rice.

Maki-sushi, or rolled sushi, is a cylindrical rolled sushi formed by wrapping nori (seaweed) around rice and a filling. A bamboo mat is used to roll the seaweed and rice, making the sushi uniform in shape. Maki sushi may contain one filling, making it hosomaki (thin rolled sushi) or many fillings, making it futomaki (fat rolled sushi).

Gunkan-maki, or battleship sushi, is a piece of rice with nori wrapped around it making a cup to hold semi-liquid ingredients or ingredients that do not lend themselves well to rolled or hand-pressed sushi.

Temaki-sushi, or hand-rolled sushi, is a cylindrical sushi made with nori, rice, and fillings, rolled by hand. Similar in style to maki-sushi, but usually containing stronger flavored ingredients. Some people refer to maki-sushi as a Japanese burrito, while temaki-sushi would be a Japanese taco.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
The family loves it, but it plays heck with my digestive system, tastiness aside. I think it's the vinegar, not sure.

Now fish of any kind, cooked any way, yum... goes down easy.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

tangerine dream

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
What you will need to make sushi at home:

a tub or large dish to cool rice
a spatula to turn and spread rice while cooling
bowls for ingredients
cutting board
sushi rolling mat
knives

Depending on how Oriental you want to make your sushi dinner, you may also want to add some of these things to your sushi experience:

geta (wooden sushi trays)
sushi serving dishes
condiment dishes
japanese omelet pan or square cast iron skillet

Sushi ingredients are so varied that it would be nearly impossible to catalog all of them in one place. For simplicity's sake I'm only going to list the ingredients normally used to make sushi in your own kitchen.

Sushi rice
Rice for sushi has to be glutinous (sticky) and should be short or medium grain. Most Japanese style rice available at grocery stores will suffice. I've been using Nishiki lately and I like it quite a bit. You can use brown rice, but it takes a bit of practice because it's not nearly as sticky as white rice.

Vinegar
Use a rice vinegar. If you must, you can substitute white vinegar for rice vinegar.

Soy sauce 

Wasabi
Look for real wasabi in  better asian food stores and online rather than the cheap imitation.

Gari
Pickled ginger, it's used to clean the pallet between bites of sushi. Can be found in most asian markets and many grocery stores.

Nori
Seaweed is used extensively in Japanese cooking and is used in most types of sushi. Make sure you buy enough of it, in case you make mistakes at first.

Fish
Fish is the main showcase ingredient in most sushi. Make sure if you're using raw fish that you select a good grade of fish. Ask the person at the counter where you buy your fish if he has any sushi or sashimi grade fish.  Small pieces of shrimp or crab work well for this, too.

Fruits and Vegetables
Most any sort of vegetables you want are acceptable in sushi -- avocado, baby daikon sprouts, cucumbers. Leaf lettuce in a roll gives a nice ruffled appearance as it peeks out of the end pieces. For vegetarian nigri, you can use steamed asparagus or other stalky vegetables.
Fruits can also be used in sushi. For a slightly sweet dessert, try making apple or kiwi sushi.

You may also want to have a few sesame seeds on hand for the outsides  of the rolls or to add crunch to the inside of a roll.  Just about anything you can fit inside a roll will work so once y ou become accustomed to the process, you can really begin to experiment depending on your own tastes.

What to do:

Cook your rice first, use a good sticky sushi rice.  Let your rice cool and then you are ready to begin.

Choose your fish or mix your filling.   If using a pice of fish, such as shrimp, tuna or crab, you do not need to mix a filling. 

An easy filling
One can of tuna fish
One tablespoon of mayonnaise
One teaspoon of chili sauce

Start by cutting a sheet of nori in half.

Place your half sheet of nori on the rolling mat.   

Moisten your hands and spread rice onto the nori using your hands. Leave about 1/2 an inch of the nori bare. Beginners may find it's easier to leave a bit more than that. Spread some wasabi along your rice.   

Add your ingredient-- either fish or the mixture.

Holding the mat with both hands, carefully roll the bottom end over the filling, taking care to squeeze and compress evenly across the entire roll.   

Continue rolling the nori around the rice and ingredients until the bare nori seals itself. If it doesn't seal on its own, use a slight bit of water or vinegar to seal the edge off. 

If your knife is sharp enough, cut the roll in half now. If your knife isn't the greatest, put the roll in the refrigerator for a few minutes. This allows the roll to harden slightly to make it easier to cut.

Once cut in half, place the two  pieces on top of each other.   
Continue to cut the roll into six pieces by cutting through both halves at once. It's bad luck to cut a roll into four pieces, and six is the standard amount

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:03:46 PM by Celesta »

tangerine dream

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
The family loves it, but it plays heck with my digestive system, tastiness aside. I think it's the vinegar, not sure.

Now fish of any kind, cooked any way, yum... goes down easy.

I never eat my sushi with vinegar, so I haven't had to worry about that.  Do you eat the pickled ginger?  Because that  should aid the digestive process.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »
I never eat my sushi with vinegar, so I haven't had to worry about that.  Do you eat the pickled ginger?  Because that  should aid the digestive process.

About once every 5 years I have a kosher dill pickle... otherwise, avoid pickles and anything pickled.  Except for on a rare occasion, sauerkraut. Same tearing up of the digestive system...  (I know, you'd think I'd love things-pickled, eh?  :P)

But I tell you what... you make me love the idea of sushi. Just can't do it, tho.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

tangerine dream

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:19:13 PM »
About once every 5 years I have a kosher dill pickle... otherwise, avoid pickles and anything pickled.  Except for on a rare occasion, sauerkraut. Same tearing up of the digestive system...  (I know, you'd think I'd love things-pickled, eh?  :P)

But I tell you what... you make me love the idea of sushi. Just can't do it, tho.

Funny that such a small amount of pickled ginger would cause you trouble.   :(  But  that sucks. 
I love pickled ginger and eat probably way too much of it.  Wasabi, too.  Always get funny looks form the waitresses when we ask for more wasabi and ginger, and then more, AGAIN!

Seems like time to go to our fave Japanese restuarant though.

And V, I wish you could come, too (Sooo yummy and fun!) just avoiding the pickled-y stuff. 

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 02:20:27 PM »
I decided ill diet tomorrow and indulge tonight.

I got my sushi and it was so damn good!
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

tangerine dream

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »
I decided ill diet tomorrow and indulge tonight.

I got my sushi and it was so damn good!

And good for you!  You can feel proud that you just fed your belly, your heart and your brain.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 02:31:49 PM »
Better than a Big Mac, yes!

But seriously I got sweet and sour chicken so I will crash it tomorrow. I figured a night of modest indulge, then tomorrow its serious watching eating, walking the river, I did my walks on breaks and lunch again too.

Gotta make the stomach shrink. I saw Valerie Bertinelli on like People or something today, she did great with jenny craig, 48 and looks FAB!

aHA found it: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/03/valerie-bertinelli-rocks-bikini-on-people-cover.html
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »
Yep, I love a sushi,
and the Wasabi.

One night a friend of ours delighted us with the full sushi dinner.
It went on for hours, with much music and wine between as we looked out the big window over the city and harbour of Hobart - in the end he was too drunk to serve the last section, and we were too tired. But it was a wonderful evening. I had no idea that sushi had such variations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk