Author Topic: Buddhist sayings  (Read 3558 times)

erik

Re: Buddhist sayings
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2014, 02:05:00 AM »
Generosity is vital if we are to give ourselves time to sit and if we are to give all sentient beings our time of sitting. We are not sitting in silence for ourselves; that is crucial.

erik

« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:18 AM »
Practice is a pain in the arse-literally. Practice is a pain in the anatomy of your body, speech and mind, and you have to have something greater than yourself to keep you going through that frustration.

erik

« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:28 AM »
Our perception and field of perception are mutually self-creating. What we see incites a reaction which influences how we see it. How we view things changes how they are.

erik

« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »
The more you disapprove of your own neuroses, the more of a problem they become. The time to disapprove of them is if they are hurting others; and then in the moment. But one does not go into punishing oneself for having them at other times. If one is aware that one has patterns, then one has to say, "I need to have some awareness while this pattern is performing".

erik

« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »
Without awareness we are continually faced with moral dilemmas. It is impossible to construct the perfect moral philosophy applicable in all circumstances. The only perfect morality is awareness. The only perfect morality is awareness, because all actions which spring from awareness are choiceless pure appropriateness.

erik

« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:01 AM »
If a person cannot really connect to a sense of kindness toward others, then the teachings that stress the non-dual approach can simply be distorted into a method of cultivating some form of sanctified misanthropy.

erik

« Reply #186 on: November 13, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
No one else is responsible for how we perceive the world. We accept and reject society’s influences and the influences of our parents and friends on our own terms. We fabricate our own perception, and unless we discontinue the process and de-structure our perception, we will merely continue to be repressed by our personal totalitarian regime.

erik

« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2014, 01:17:30 AM »
Its important to experience our emotional energies simply and directly. Our emotions are a spectrum of fluid and fluent energies, and experiencing their energy fields is the purpose of our exploration.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2015, 02:39:41 AM »
No one else is responsible for how we perceive the world. We accept and reject society’s influences and the influences of our parents and friends on our own terms. We fabricate our own perception, and unless we discontinue the process and de-structure our perception, we will merely continue to be repressed by our personal totalitarian regime.

Topic of recent discussions. J and I have been involved in the 'last reunion' of the Stephen clan - they leave in February 2015. All the children have returned for a final Christmas and NY. We have been to see them - there are a lot of them, let me tell you! But Julie knew many as children when she looked after them many years ago now. We have watched for any that have taken up the call to become their own person - to escape the personal totalitarian regime. Some we had high hopes for, have proved disappointing. But two have shown some promise.

Is it strange these two were those who had some highly difficult years? One young woman, nearly died of anorexia. She is still very thin. But I talked with her - she has just returned from spending years in Egypt. Another is a young man, who Julie now tells me went through a lot of personal turmoil earlier in his life, and now he has scored a job running the evening drive show on the ABC (national broadcaster) in North Queensland.

But their problem is not so much the uniqueness of their path. Their problem is that they have this cultural command to be financially successful. They are Lebanese, and as such suffer from an obsession that all New Australians have, of becoming successful socially and financially. There is no room for a poetic life, let alone a spiritual life. As a result almost all of them took the safe road of accountancy and finance. When I met a young woman, Barbara, whom I have known for so long, I at first didn't recognise her amongst the throng, and asked her point blank after she came bouncing up to me saying hello, "Who are you". She was special to Julie, and after a short conversation, she has become Julie's greatest disappointment. Now I realise the old saying of how we don't make mistakes - if I see her again, I am very tempted to ask her again, "Who are you". She is managing a film production company and often flies to Belgium to see the owners. She is successful, but she's a woman, and as such financial success is not expected of her - she is expected to get married and have babies, which she hasn't done.

Another young woman, Tracy, I was most impressed with when she was a child. She has done well - now runs iTunes in Australia. I was keen to see her, but when I joined the conversation she was having with Julie, I could hardly believe this was the same person. I was even reluctant to use her name, as perhaps I had mistaken who she was. She was lost - fallen into the same old mould of a middle-aged woman with children... conservative with dulled edges. I was reminded of the effect of having had children - and I was so conscious of how this doesn't apply to everyone, but to most. I confess to a sadness in life of having seen so many people slip into the mindless crowd - people who had such promise when they were children or teenagers. I think this causes me to pull back from children, which is not good, nor fair, yet it's there - so many have fallen asleep. Memories of bright moments, all lost into the mirage.

This task, of emancipation from our personal  totalitarian regime, is not easy.

erik

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2015, 04:05:32 AM »
Knowledge of Vajrayana is intrinsic to human beings – not in the sense of complex symbolism and elaborate colourful mystical motifs, but in the sense that Vajryana is our condition. Vajrayana is our condition, in the sense that Vajrayana is the thread of continuity which runs through every aspect of what we are.

erik

« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2015, 04:49:54 AM »
Vajrayana is not ‘an answer’ or ‘an antidote’ – it is an endless process of opening to the nondual texture of existence. It is the coalescence of energy in the rich moment-by-moment frisson of vajra-romance. It is the infinite sequence of fleeting forms which constitutes the flow of our lives.

erik

« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »
If you can simply observe the initial flickering of unsatisfactoriness, if you can remain with the freshness and clarity of what you experience rather than the commentary, you will not require misery.

Jahn

In my Store - Everything is Best
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »
31.   Everything Is Best 

When Banzan was walking through a market he overheard a conversation between a butcher and his customer.

"Give me the best piece of meat you have," said the customer.

"Everything in my shop is the best," replied the butcher. "You cannot find here any piece of meat that is not the best."

At these words Banzan became enlightened.

Jahn

No water - No Moon
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »
29.   No Water, No Moon 

When the nun Chiyono studied Zen under Bukko of Engaku she was unable to attain the fruits of meditation for a long time.

At last one moonlit night she was carrying water in an old pail bound with bamboo. The bamboo broke and the bottom fell out of the pail, and at that moment Chiyono was set free!

In commemoration, she wrote a poem:

In this way and that I tried to save the old pail
 Since the bamboo strip was weakening and about
    to break
 Until at last the bottom fell out.
 No more water in the pail!
 No more moon in the water!

runningstream

« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2015, 01:01:10 AM »
is it possible there are different types of knowledge

like the knowledge that leads to such an event

and afterwards

knowledge that comes due to the result of such and event ?

does the moon then become full again ? or the sun ?

or is that not zen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk