Author Topic: Buddhist sayings  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Buddhist sayings
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2016, 05:23:15 PM »
It would be difficult to know the motivation of another. It's almost requires being able to read their mind. Intent can be very difficult to know. We get the outside action, but we may not know the motivation. Correct?
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

erik

« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2016, 06:16:39 PM »
It would be difficult to know the motivation of another. It's almost requires being able to read their mind. Intent can be very difficult to know. We get the outside action, but we may not know the motivation. Correct?

So you are trying to persuade me that I am getting things wrong. You suggest I do, I say I am not.
Now what?

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #347 on: September 18, 2016, 07:57:25 PM »
I think you're trying to get my motivation. Agree? In actuality I'm just commenting on the quote you posted. And commenting on what it means. Nothing to do with you whatsoever. Course you'll have to take my word for it. But it is true we cannot always know another person's motivation or intent. We can only see the outside outcome.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

erik

« Reply #348 on: September 18, 2016, 09:33:19 PM »
I think you're trying to get my motivation. Agree? In actuality I'm just commenting on the quote you posted. And commenting on what it means. Nothing to do with you whatsoever. Course you'll have to take my word for it. But it is true we cannot always know another person's motivation or intent. We can only see the outside outcome.

If you commented the quote and your commenting had nothing to do with me, then why ask whether I, personally, believed the quote?
Your post had very much to do with me, and  "Nothing to do with you whatsoever." does not fly. Be honest about your own motivation.  :)

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #349 on: September 18, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
I asked if you believed in it. You posted it so I wondered if you supported it. You brought up imagine. The most important part of the quote is compassion.

erik

« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
I asked if you believed in it. You posted it so I wondered if you supported it. You brought up imagine. The most important part of the quote is compassion.

Can you man up and actually tell me why you asked if I believed the quote?

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2016, 03:24:58 AM »
Can you man up and actually tell me why you asked if I believed the quote?

How you behave and react towards many people here is in direct conflict to this quote you posted.  Your words, your actions.   

Sorry, Ellen.  I know it was your question.  I butted my nose in here.

erik

« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:26 AM »

How you behave and react towards many people here is in direct conflict to this quote you posted.  Your words, your actions.   

Sorry, Ellen.  I know it was your question.  I butted my nose in here.

No, it's not. Compassion does not mean pity and crying together.
If person is stuck in patterns and hell-bent to go from bad to worse, compassion gains a different meaning.

Jahn

« Reply #353 on: September 19, 2016, 04:34:52 AM »

If person is stuck in patterns and hell-bent to go from bad to worse, compassion gains a different meaning.

Amen.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #354 on: September 19, 2016, 05:15:27 AM »

I'm talking about this quote, the one in question:

In our practice of kindness it is valuable not to speculate concerning the motivation of others. Voicing one’s personal criticisms of what we imagine to be the motivation of other individuals is merely the expression of subjectivity."

Speculating on motivations and voicing personal criticisms on them.  Is the expression of subjectivity. 

I agree that compassion does not mean pitying or crying.   But compassion should always be used with kindness. 

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #355 on: September 19, 2016, 05:34:46 AM »

I've started another discussions.

What compassion means:
http://restlesssoma.com.au/soma/index.php?topic=14202.new#new

erik

« Reply #356 on: September 19, 2016, 06:16:43 AM »
Jumping-jumping-jumpinmg-jumping-jumping...
Farewell.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:33 AM »
And I agree with you. Compassion and pity AR not the same thing. However, Lori is right as well that it does involve kindness. And you know from reading the Dali Lama that kindness is such a huge part of the path and the message that he tries to get across. If you see someone stuck in patterns you can be compassionate to them without being hard on them. Without criticizing them. Which is also part of the quote that you posted. You criticize. The quote is against it. And it gives reason why. I think you need to look at that put a little bit deeper to understand it.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
In addition the beginning of the quote says "In our practice of kindness." kindness. Compassion. We meditate on these things. I once had a friend who was suffering badly. Its like I saw him on a train track with a train coming. I would try to push him off the track. But he did not see the train. He only felt me pushing. We sometimes must know our limitations in such situations. Sometimes we must step back regardless to what we see.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »
And you have to have all your senses engaged to know how to approach a person. 

If you're heart is open you will know the right way.
Some people, need a book on the head, while others may just need a hug.
Forbearance and discernment are key here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk