Author Topic: Buddhist sayings  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Buddhist sayings
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
The mind of the past is ungraspable;
 the mind of the future is ungraspable;
 the mind of the present is ungraspable.

-    Diamond Sutra
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »
How boundless the cleared sky of Samadhi!
How transparent the perfect moonlight of the Fourfold Wisdom!

At this moment what more need we seek?
As the Truth eternally reveals itself,
This very place is the Lotus Land of Purity,
This very body is the Body of the Buddha.

-  Song of Meditation,  Hakuin Ekaku Zenji
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
It is too clear and so it is hard to see.
A dunce once searched for a fire with a
lighted lantern.
Had he known what fire was,
He could have cooked his rice much sooner.

-   Joshu Washes the Bowl, The Gateless Gate #7
Zen Flesh, Zen Bones,  p. 176
Translated by Paul Reps and Nyogen Senzaki

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2009, 04:32:38 AM »
Words cannot express things;
Speech does not convey the spirit.
Swayed by words, one is lost;
Blocked by phrases, one is bewildered.

-  Two Zen Classics: Mumonkan & Hekiganroku, p. 110
Translated with commentaries by Katsuki Sekida

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2009, 04:33:23 AM »
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a
green thing that stands in the way.  Some see Nature all ridicule and
deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all.  But to the eyes of the
man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.
-  William Blake, 1799, The Letters 

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2009, 04:34:04 AM »
Mountains and rivers are in the Buddha's eye,
the universe in dharma's body.
-  Wang Wei,  699-761
Laughing Lost in the Mountains: Poems of Wang Wei,   p. 133

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2009, 04:37:22 AM »
The buddha in the mind is like a fragrance in a tree.
The buddha comes from a mind free of suffering,
Just as a fragrance comes from a tree free of decay.
There's no fragrance without a tree and no buddha without the mind.
If there's a fragrance without a tree it's a different fragrance.
If there's a buddha without your mind, it's a different buddha.

-  The Teachings of Bodhidharma

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2009, 07:27:11 AM »
I consider it rather Buddhist:

To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull facilities can comprehend only in the most primitive forms--this knowledge, this feeling, is at the centre of true religiousness. In this sense, and in this sense only, I belong to the ranks of the devoutly religious men.’

— Albert Einstein

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
Was Albert Einstein a Buddhist? I don't think so. Perhaps others who are not Buddhist (such as Albert Einstein) can also have some profound insights? I think you take away from Albert Einstein's own beingness to consider what he says and relate it to something he and his sayings, are not. Buddhism does not have the monopoly on great sayings!  ;)
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
The mind of the past is ungraspable;
 the mind of the future is ungraspable;
 the mind of the present is ungraspable.

-    Diamond Sutra

I have a shrub in my  garden, growing into a small tree, that is called Yesterday Today and Tomorrow. Plretty little flowers; open purple, change to lilac and then finally to white before they fall off. Was sitting looking at it yesterday. Life is quite ungraspable.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2009, 03:04:32 AM »
Was Albert Einstein a Buddhist? I don't think so. Perhaps others who are not Buddhist (such as Albert Einstein) can also have some profound insights? I think you take away from Albert Einstein's own beingness to consider what he says and relate it to something he and his sayings, are not. Buddhism does not have the monopoly on great sayings!  ;)

No but he did make remarks about Buddhism being the religion of the future, and buddhism and science both working well together. I didnt say he was a buddhist, I just felt the statement came across very buddhist.

And no, Buddhism doesnt have a monopoly on the sayings. We have great proverbs, from sufis, the chinese and the like. All over the world really.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2009, 03:31:07 AM »
Life is quite ungraspable.

And each day is a different day.

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2009, 04:52:32 AM »
No but he did make remarks about Buddhism being the religion of the future, and buddhism and science both working well together. I didnt say he was a buddhist, I just felt the statement came across very buddhist.

And no, Buddhism doesnt have a monopoly on the sayings. We have great proverbs, from sufis, the chinese and the like. All over the world really.

That's interesting, about Buddhism being the religion of the future. Did he say why he thought so?

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
    • SIR
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2009, 05:00:28 AM »
That's interesting, about Buddhism being the religion of the future. Did he say why he thought so?

Boy between you and Michael today, lol, I was asked to give up the sutra of the Koran on one statement now this? :)

Its cool I got the quotes:

Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spiritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -- Albert Einstein

If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. -- Albert Einstein

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2009, 05:04:51 AM »
Boy between you and Michael today, lol, I was asked to give up the sutra of the Koran on one statement now this? :)

Its cool I got the quotes:

Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spiritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -- Albert Einstein

If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. -- Albert Einstein

Wow!  Maybe he was a closet Buddhist?  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk