Author Topic: Diet change  (Read 146 times)

Offline daphne

• Rishi
Diet change
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »
One of the most difficult aspects of renal failure is having to change my diet. I generally used to eat "healthy". Renal diet is not very healthy. I have to avoid or limit a lot, foods rich in potassium and phosphates. Potassium rich foods are all the fruits and veggies, and phosphate rich foods are the proteins - eggs, certain fish, certain meats, legumes, nuts, dairy.

Dialysis helps with the removal of potassium, so I am still eating lots of fruits, though have cut down on the veggies. Avocado is a no-no  :(
Veggies need to be soaked in water for ages, and then cooked. Kind of takes all the nutrients out of it, so I am very selective with my veggie allowance.

Dialysis is a bit of a wash-out with phosphates, so I have to take phosphate binders and really limit the amount of foods, without cutting down on protein amounts, which are minimal anyway. Not easy! So have to find some sort of balance between the protein rich and not too much phosphate.

I have lost quite a bit of weight. Not a bad thing at all!  :)  except that I am rather short on clothes now!

Summer will be ok, cause I can eat lots salads. Most of my 'bulk' is taken up by breads. Here I have to balance between not to much of the 'health' breads, and more of the 'white' breads - wholewheat is a no-no too, limited to couple times a week.

My phosphate levels are higher than they should be, so I am trying all sorts of ways to get them down. I have blood tests every month, so only know whether I have been successful or not after a month.
I need to find nutrient rich foods that can be made into a nice meal without carrying too much phosphate or potassium.
I used to add all sorts of stuff to my rice and make nice rice dishes (especially with nuts and dried apricots) now those are no-no, so am adding bits of veggies and small amounts of chicken/meat to make a filling meal.

The dietitian told me I could eat non-dairy type sweets. Gosh! I was so thrilled, and for a month gorged myself on chewy fruit sweets. Was most delicious!   :D
Then I discovered that (of course) there was a limit to that too!  heh  most disappointing it was cause I also didn't gain any wieght from that sugar overload!

So.. anyone coming up with recipes, sandwich combos or meal plans with the above criteria is most welcome!  I have my daughter planning - she has always been into 'health food' and is a vegetarian. She is quite stumped and is researching more! 

When I was recently in hospital, I had the 'kidney patient' meals. They were fabulous!! and gave me a good indication on quantities, which I was quite hopless with since my diet list gives me that but not in combo-meals.
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Ke-ke wan

Re: Diet change
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:17:04 AM »
I'll definitely look into this, too as I had been wondering about your diet.   Curious also what kind of Natural Health products, practises or medicines can be added to a patient undergoing dialysis.  It must be tricky.   I've heard that accupuncture is favourable as well,  there are Chinese herbs and formulas to stregthen kidneys,  but from what I have read,   some are contraindicated for dialysis.   

Thanks for sharing Daph.
 :-*

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:47:16 AM »
Thanks Lori!   :-*

I have been doing quite a bit of research on food. I have to balance between food suitable for renal failure and food suitable for auto-immune problems (which I have too). I have decided to cut out all dairy products, so I went shopping today for a range of yummy teas that do not require milk. I have not bean much into herbal teas, but I found some really tasty (and healthy) combos and a great chai tea as well. I have been looking into recipes for lentils (to replace some meat) and because it's winter, also for suitable soups that I can make. I have even been contemplating making my own breads! Not being one much in the kitchen, I find I now have to be.

I too have heard about acupuncture and have made some enquiries in that direction. Ironically, my nephrologist is South African Chinese, though I don't know whether he's into acupuncture or not. I will ask him about it.

As to different alternative stuffs, It's difficult treading between the alternative and mainstream, hence all my research. Many alternative healers offer different modalities for different stuff, haven't found anyone yet who mentions kidney failure. One of the bookstores here has a very good section of books on alternative healing through different modalities and I am going to go have a look there next Saturday.

In the beginning, I felt very much dissociated and detached from it all. I am now feeling more grounded and in control of my part of it. At the least, it gives me something to "do"!  :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:48:56 AM by daphne »
"The compulsion to possess and hold on to things is not unique. Everyone who wants to follow the warrior's path has to rid himself of this fixation in order not to focus our dreaming body on the weak face of the second attention." - The Eagle's Gift

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:07:54 AM »
In the beginning, I felt very much dissociated and detached from it all. I am now feeling more grounded and in control of my part of it. At the least, it gives me something to "do"!  :)

That's so excellent, Daph -- I feel happy reading this.  :-*
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:19:43 AM »
That's so excellent, Daph -- I feel happy reading this.  :-*

;) :-*

Offline daphne

• Rishi
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
I have an appointment with a "real, limited English," Chinese acupuncturist, and also herbalist, today. Quite by chance I asked a colleague at work if she knew of one, and lo and behold, she did. This was the same one I had heard of before though now did not know how to contact him. So.. needles here I come!!   :D

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
haven't found anyone yet who mentions kidney failure

Julie's aunty had acupuncture for kidney problems (something about a blocked duct) that the doctors had given up on outside an operation. The acupuncture fixed it.

Julie's cousin was unable to have children - doctors gave up - an acupuncture cured it: she had three boys.

From personal experience, best to get a Chinese Acupuncturist. They just seem to have the technique embedded viscerally.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:20:26 PM »
I have an appointment with a "real, limited English," Chinese acupuncturist, and also herbalist, today. Quite by chance I asked a colleague at work if she knew of one, and lo and behold, she did. This was the same one I had heard of before though now did not know how to contact him. So.. needles here I come!!   :D

;D
Awesome!

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:42:05 AM »

Its worth a shot. Go for it :)
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk