Author Topic: Ahnisnabae Art Gallery  (Read 143 times)

Ke-ke wan

Ahnisnabae Art Gallery
« on: September 19, 2009, 12:25:56 AM »
This is an Aboriginal Art Gallery in Thunder Bay,  not far from where I live.   I've only been in it once,  but window shopped on numerous occasions.   yesterday at work I had the pleasure to meet one of the Artists,  though I didn't get his name.

There are many talented artists that have their work in this gallery.   Native Art of Roy Thomas and other Great Native Artists.   "Creating an Appreciation and Awareness of Native Culture through Art"

Welcome to Ahnisnabae Art Gallery, the Home of the Renowned Woodland Artist Roy Thomas 1949-2004.
Ahnisnabae Art was founded in 1997 by the late Roy Thomas, an Ahnisnabae artist recognized for over 30 years for his distinctive high quality work. Roy Thomas created Ahnisnabae Art to showcase his work and to illustrate and promote the Ahnisnabae culture.

Today, the Ahnisnabae Art Gallery is owned and operated by Louise Thomas, and is dedicated to the memory of her late husband. The Ahnisnabae Art Gallery carries on the legacy and dreams of Roy Thomas by showcasing his works, as well as that of several other local artists, thus continuing to support and promote the Ahnisnabae culture.

While primarily concentrating on original work throughout his career, Roy expanded his collection to include silkscreen prints, reproduction prints, art cards depicting time, art etchings on glass. He also published a biography entitled “The Spirit of Ahnisnabae Art”.

Roy was critically acclaimed as one of the most brilliant and prolific members of the Woodland School , the art movement that began in the early 1960’s. He was a self-taught artist and was guided by the memories of his grandmother who taught him much about the Ahnisnabae culture through her stories. Roy also was inspired by the ancient pictographs in the Northwestern region of Ontario, Canada

The work of Roy Thomas depicts traditional teachings and introduces his interpretation of the Life Spirits which are the Air, Land, Water and Fire. Louise Thomas has found great inspiration and encouragement for the AhnisnabaeArtGallery from her sons, her many close friends, and the artists whose works have become part of the Roy Thomas legacy.

For more information or to purchase art works online, please contact Louise Thomas at 

louisethomas@ahnisnabae-art.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

A man is but the product of his thoughts.

What he thinks, he becomes.

-- Mahatma Gandhi .

http://www.ahnisnabae-art.com/

Owl and animal Spirits by Gelineau Fisher

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Ahnisnabae Art Gallery
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:44:45 AM »
Love that owl!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »
Here are a few more that really caught my eye:

Charlie Anishinabie -- Eagle Gathering

Mark Anthony Jacobson  -- Blessings of the Great Spirit

Kovik Alikutiak -- Super Shaman

These are all local artists.   Amazing such talent --- and a well kept secret!

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
I made it into this Gallery on Friday after work and really wish I had more time to visit!

The Art in the actual gallery is just so much more vibrant and alive than on the Website.  I wish I could take y'all with me.

I picked out a Drum that I plan to buy in the future,  a handmade wooden mask that I absolutely love and a turtle shell medicine bag-- with brown suede and tassles.  Beautyfull!  All of it.  And the Lady who runs the Gallery,  Louise was most helpful with all of my questions and showed me around the store and told me stories.  It was amazing.

We talked a bit about Drumming and tried out a few of the drums,  painted and not.   

This is one drum that caught my eye!

And we discussed the Gallery and some of the Artists.   The   best part of the visit was when I asked Louise how much she wanted for the two black Raven sculptures that seemed to watch over the store.  She told me that these Ravens were not for sale.   They are symbols of the Spirit of her husband,  Roy Thomas, who passed last year.  He had a Raven as a Totem and her son bought these birds to honour his Fathers passing and to help watch over the Gallery for Louise.

I thanked Louise for her time and patience with me (I was there for long  while and asked quite a bit of her)  and said that I'll definitely be back to pick up drum and other things as I have saved up enough money to buy them.  We joked that she'll probably get tired of seeing me in the Gallery-- I'll be coming around so often, and Louise said that I am more than welcome to come in and spend as much time as I like there,  that it pleases her to know that I feel comfortable there and enjoy the energy of the store. 

Awesome experince!

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 01:17:48 AM »
Some of Roy Thomas' Artwork.   You can see he uses the raven in his signature. 

"Better than Myself from Yesterday"

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:11:40 AM »
Love them all -- those bold colors!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
These are gorgeous thanks for sharing Lori! (and yes the drum is the best)!
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk