Author Topic: Not-doing: as eagles do it  (Read 65 times)

erik

Not-doing: as eagles do it
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:42:12 PM »
Yesterday we had a tremendous opportunity to observe initially two and later three large sea eagles for a full hour. The eagles did...not-doing. They just sat on a pice of wood in the middle of a small lake. They just sat there. Sun was shining, the air was warm, there was a mild wind. Eagles just sat, occasionally they glanced at their surroundings, looked at each other...and sat. With no purpose, no aim, no visible reason. They were fully relaxed, occasionally curious, then looking nowhere, really. Minute after minute. It seemed that their existence was concentrated into an absolutely purposeless sitting there, utterly relaxed sitting there, being in that moment. It was an awesome sight. Three large birds just/simply/only/totally sitting there with ducks, herons, crows, magpies, etc going around them about their own business.

Then something happened. One eagle spread her two-metre wings and almost an explosion erupted around eagles: suddenly all birds were in the air. The eagle had no interest in them, though. She flew slowly and majestically a few hundred metres and sat on the rock. Soon others followed.

When looking at eagles, I sometimes get the feeling that their energy, their essence is something people on spiritual path have tried to emulate within themselves for millenia. For example, our sea eagles choose their partners in a very toltec way: they sit for hours and hours and simply look each other in the eyes. They hold each other's look until both know that the other is the one. If one turns the head away even for a moment, he/she gets banished. Differently from the mating dances and rituals of other birds, eagles look at the essence - it is about the inner strength and not about external attributes, that is colourful feathers, dances and songs.

Ke-ke wan

Re: Not-doing: as eagles do it
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »
 :)
Nice post E!

Reminds me of:

“A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.”
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:33:45 AM by soulchild »

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »
Run that passed me again - Juhani, are you talking about mating ritual when they sit and face each other? Not sure what you mean by the word 'banished'. It is usually used to refer to an individual being excluded from a group, but a mating partnership is not a group - are you saying if one bird deflects its gaze, then the partnership goes no further? Or are you saying the bird is banished also from the group. I'd be surprised if sea eagles have groups. I presume once one bird deflects gaze, they never try again to set up the mating ritual - it's one shot or nothing? Is that right?

erik

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:16:02 PM »
Yes, if one bird turns away, the other drives it away and they don't try again (white-tailed sea eagles choose partner for life, though if one of the pair dies, surviving partner usually finds a new spouse). The process of driving away could even include some limited violence.

No, sea eagles do not have communities. They are solitary birds and predators at the top of food chain, and they could (but this is not a 100% rule) go violent on other eagles/hawks on their hunting territory. White-tails' nests are usually some 5 km apart. The only time you see several sea eagles staying together is a short period when young birds stay close to their parents after leaving the nest.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:21:05 PM by Yellow hat »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk