Author Topic: Lead in Pet Products  (Read 41 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Lead in Pet Products
« on: November 25, 2009, 03:31:30 AM »
Highlights of Pet Product Sampling

HealthyStuff.org tested over 400 pet products, including beds, chew toys, stuffed toys, collars, leashes, and tennis balls. Since there are no government standards for hazardous chemicals in pet products, it is not surprising that toxic chemicals were found.

45% of pet products tested had detectable levels of one or more hazardous chemical, including:
~One-quarter of all pet products had detectable levels of lead.
7% of all pet products have lead levels greater than 300 ppm -- the current ~CPSC lead standard for lead in children's products.
~Nearly half of pet collars had detectable levels of lead; with 27% exceeding 300 ppm -- the CPSC limit for lead in children's products.
~One half (48%) of tennis balls tested had detectable levels of lead. ~Tennis balls intended for pets were much more likely to contain lead.
~Sports tennis balls contained no lead.

Pets are the canary in the coalmine in terms of chemical exposure. Cats groom themselves and lick off dust that has been shown to be heavily contaminated with hazardous chemicals. For example, bio-monitoring of cats has shown BFR exposure 23X higher than humans.

http://www.healthystuff.org/departments/toys/about.findings.php
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Lead in Pet Products
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:38:36 AM »
I suppose this is why we hear so much these days of pets getting cancer -- they're subject to the same toxins and carcinogens as we are.
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Ke-ke wan

Re: Lead in Pet Products
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:42:07 AM »
I suppose this is why we hear so much these days of pets getting cancer -- they're subject to the same toxins and carcinogens as we are.

Even more so.  I've been doing a lot of research on this myself (many articles at the GG)  and it is sad and quite disgusting the kinds of 'foods'  we give to our animals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk