Author Topic: The Idiot  (Read 281 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
The Idiot
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »
"There are twenty-one gradations of reason from that of the ordinary man to that of Our Endlessness, that is, God. No one can reach the Absolute Reason of God, and only the sons of God like Jesus Christ can have the two gradations of reason that are nineteenth and twentieth. Therefore the aim of every being who aspires to perfection must be to reach the eighteenth gradation. You must understand that the people you know do not have any reason at all. They live in their dreams and have no connection with reality. Whoever has any contact with reality is called an Idiot."

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Re: The Idiot
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »
http://www.satrakshita.com/the_science_of_idiotism.htm

"The movements of the Idiots was not forward but backward from the Idiot they chose to Ordinary Idiot. The reason was that only in the recognition of one′s nothingness could there be true development toward consciousness and conscience. Otherwise, all forward movement was certain to be stopped by a ′wrong crystallization′, that is a fusion of a particular level of consciousness on the basis of false personality. If such a crystallization is not dissolved before a given Idiot is reached, it may become insurmountable. This is because this very defect, or defects, was a definite factor in the original ascent. "

"Although not divesting ′Idiot′ of its pejorative sense, he re-invested it with the meaning of individuality (from a Greek root meaning 'I make my own').
Though idiocy was universal - God himself being the Unique Idiot (No.21) - a subsidiary differentiation afforded a human typology at once ′poetic′ and profound.
Each pupil, relying simply on intuition, was initially required to choose his own Idiot from among the first twelve..."

"Everyone who has undertaken to work on himself is considered to participate in idiotism... "

"Gurdjieff once explained, "Everyone is Idiot, even God. But when these Idiots see another who is another kind of Idiot from themselves, they become angry and curse him. This is very characteristic of these Idiots. Now compassionate means that among this company can sometimes exist Idiots who know that all are Idiots together so they pity all and not become angry. These are Compassionate. I am Unique Idiot so I am no more this Idiot Compassionate.""

"There were two categories of Compassionate Idiot - Sympathetic and Antipathic. The one sees a man lying in the gutter in rags, starving and helpless. He goes to him immediately and helps him in every way, even giving him his own shirt, and the other does exactly the same, but only because his fiancĂ©e′s father is looking out of the window."

"Mme. de Salzmann′s going out of Idiocy perhaps implies that she went back in time to recollect all the Idiots she had ever been, before ascending again to No.17 and finally to No.18."

"Mr.Gurdjieff, drawing a square in the air, paused at the corners, saying, "Sometimes he stop." I wondered how anyone dared choose this, as I thought it meant sometimes he stops being an Idiot, but by asking someone who had chosen it [Square Idiot], I learnt that the accepted interpretation is that such people keep on stopping and changing direction all the time."

I think I am a Square Idiot.

Which Idiot do you think you might be?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:03:59 PM by Nick »
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
Be good to find a detailed explanation of each idiot.

Jahn

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 06:43:23 AM »

"The Fool" is one of the cards in the Tarot. And it is said that he sometimes stumbles on the stone of the wise. But to no use of course, since he is the Fool after all.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:46:34 AM »
"The Fool On The Hill"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDtK7xUIDxk

Day after day, alone on the hill
The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still
But nobody wants to know him
They can see that he's just a fool
And he never gives an answer

But the fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
See the world spinning around

Well on the way, head in a cloud
The man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud
But nobody ever hears him
Or the sound he appears to make
And he never seems to notice

But the fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head

And nobody seems to like him
They can tell what he wants to do
And he never shows his feelings

But the fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head

He never listens to them
He knows that they're the fools
They don't like him

The fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down
And the eyes in his head
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »
Be good to find a detailed explanation of each idiot.

Looking, was hoping someone else might be know something I don't.

So far I'm only ever finding the compassionate and the square, and of course the unique, but even then none of them have much detail. Perhaps the difficulty is, because all the participants where quite badly drunk. :P
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:50 AM »
"I think it's important to note here that the various idiots also represent 'stages,' that is, Gurdjieff said that about every three years ones idiot changes. The point was to change ones idiot consciously -- and that in order to ascend to the highest idiocy, one must consciously work ones way down to Ordinary Idiot, and then back up again."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 09:03:42 PM »
Yes, that is a prominent point - the need to return to the base before advancing again. This point is often missed By new entrants.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:53:03 PM by Michael »

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 08:29:32 AM »
I'm finding snippets of things in different places.

"Everyone who decides to work on himself is an idiot in both meanings. The wise know that he is seeking reality. The foolish think he has taken leave of his senses."

This book could be promising, or it could be a total misinterpretation.

http://www.gurdjieff-internet.com/book_details.php?authID=16&BID=717&lang=English

runningstream

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 12:01:26 AM »
loved seeing all the idiots

i went looking for them after reading this

Gurdjieff has a knack for placing things in contexts i see

very neat

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:15:11 AM »
loved seeing all the idiots

i went looking for them after reading this