Author Topic: Transformation and immortality  (Read 176 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Transformation and immortality
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »
I would like to attempt a sketch here of Gurdjieff's approach to our species' purpose in this world, this life. I may later give a more thorough description.

To begin, you need to understand the distinction between involution and evolution, in his terminology. In essence, you can see the distinction in the spiral of a shell. If you travel from the outer rim, down into the centre, then that is involution. Travelling from the tiny centre out and up to the outer rim is evolution.

In Gurdjieff's terminology these words take on added meaning. Involution is where energies from a higher source permeate down to the lower levels. Like sunlight, which comes from the sun and is taken in by plants and then passes through multiple process down the food chain to the lowest layer of complex life. To accomplish this transformation down the levels of life-form hierarchy, vehicles are required - in this case the physical vehicles of each life form, down the chain.

Evolution is the opposite process, where energies are taken up from lower forms and transformed into higher. For example, plants take up water and minerals - small simple animals eat plants - larger, more complex and clever animals eat those on the food chain below them. Humans eat all these and produce poetry, buildings and vast complex systems of interaction.

In it's simplistic form, you get the picture. But in both involutionary and evolutionary processes, mechanisms of transformation are required. The energy is taken from above and below, then processed within a vehicle in unique mechanisms. The vehicle itself is affected and transformed by the very process of transformation it is working upon the energies that pass through it.

Just as a motor vehicle which takes in mineral fuel and is then used for our own purpose - is in itself transformed by the quality and purpose which we put that car to. A sensitive can feel the soul of a car when she steps into it - the purposes and thoughts of its owner.

Next you have to understand Gurdjieff's theory of 'reciprocal maintenance'. In essence it means everything feeds on everything else. All entities of the universe, seen and unseen, feed off, and feed each other - that is how the universe works. All processes within the universe have to draw their energy from that released by other processes. The normal method of this is death. In order for one entity to live and act out it's cosmic purpose, it must feed. For that to happen something else must die. That is reciprocal maintenance.

In order for the highest level of action and purpose, those below it have to die and thus release their energetic essences. In order for the lowest level of action and purpose - the higher ones must also die, and dissolve downwards.

Reciprocal maintenance is the process of transformation which fuels the involutionary and evolutionary flow of the universe.

But death is not the only method of releasing energy for this mutual feeding.

Gurdjieff held that the primary purpose of wars, mass diseases or calamities, where millions die, was to release the necessary energy for major transformations of higher beings. But they take the death-released energy, because they mostly are unable to get higher quality food.

When a person takes higher and lower energy into their 'transformational machine' - their body - and produces with effort a product of higher quality - an energetic enhancement, like something of great beauty or great value to the betterment of all living beings - then that releases a very special energy which is of far greater value to the higher beings who feed on this in their turn.

Thus the purpose of humanity, like all beings, is in the basic level, to die and feed all beings, both high and low. But we have a higher purpose - to transform our own feeding into evolutionary forms. This is of inestimable value to both higher and lower beings. It can be taken instead of our death, in varying degrees of 'death'.

Our 'obligation' therefore, if we wish to rise above the basic level of farmed food, is to transform our life. To create from out of our own vehicle processes, 'products' which reach further along the evolutionary spiral. Not just live a life of eat, procreate, sleep, and die. We have to create higher value in whichever way our vehicle is designed to operate. Each person has their own unique task in the evolutionary spiral.

We have to find what this is and devote all our surplice energy to it.

Gurdjieff went further. He maintained that it is precisely in this evolutionary, transformational process, performed by our physical vehicle, that we are able to create an immortal subtle vehicle - the double, or 'active' astral body.

By transforming energies into higher value, in an active self-aware state, we are able to vivify our astral body to a degree which partakes of the very essence of evolution. And in so doing we have the possibility of evolving it's existence into infinity. That is the natural consequence of self-aware transformations.

For us this means we have to first learn self-awareness. Then we have to identify the specific work of transformation that is our destiny in this life. That is our core 'task'. It could be anything, but each being has cog in the evolutionary purpose of our Endless Creator - each a star in the heavens.

It is not enough to be self-aware. We also have to find and pursue our 'evolutionary tasks'. In the first instance, that means everything we do must become a work of beauty - every attitude a force of knowledge.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Transformation and immortality
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:38 AM »
Thats interesting. I knew Gurdjieff didnt believe we're all born with souls and that one needed to 'create' one, and I do accept this, cause Ive encountered soulless like folks. But I think its more like this. Everyone has a 'higher self' sts, ready to be created, even like buddha nature, so we do come into the game, with the 'seed' for this, but not necessarily with it sprouted, like say some christians believe one can have a soul already and its tainted and need to clean it or they lose control over it. Anyway, so we have the 'seed' and we need to be able to evolve that seed into the double/vehicle so we can traverse to the infinite. Immortality, we have the seeds for it, its just a matter of sprouting the seeds. But I can see what hes saying, it sounds like one needs to find their own evolutionary 'purpose' and fulfill it, if they're going to make the journey to the infinite. The only thing is, how does one discover their purpose and fulfill it? This I think would be very difficult to do. I do believe the universe will provide various synchronicities to get one in alignment for this quest, but still, it can be difficult to figure out. Like for myself, im working on my own things in my tonal world, then my nagual side I do my work too, but its difficult to find what hinges the two together at times. They feel very separate works to me, and very dual. They 'do' influence each other and I do see it, but not as strongly as I would like. Im not sure exactly how to fulfill that, figure out my 'purpose' I suppose, is what im saying, outside of my work.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:06:42 PM »
I'll try to take this one step further. Gurdjieff stumbled on a piece of knowledge.

The key to immortality, is the release of what he called, the third force. The first two are the affirming and the denying forces, the third is the reconciling. Gurdjieff maintained that those who could release the third force became 'three brained beings'. They could stop the wheel.

The third force is a mysterious thing, but it's core feature is will. Not 'self-will', the will of the ego - that is a condition still trapped within the realm of the two opposites.

Will is a force from within our awareness.

But the thing which is not realised, is that the third force requires specific conditions to be released - we have to be trapped.

It is only in moments of intense shock, or tension, when we realise the futility of our own self-will.

Unfortunately, this neglected component can only be found in desperation or massive shock to our being. Thus when we follow the guidance of Spirit, rather than our own ambition, it leads us into a final pincer movement from which no escape is possible.

At that moment, if we have prepared our inner freedom - our self-awareness - then the shell of our imprisonment within which all beings are entombed, can be cracked open by a convulsive shock, or a shattering realisation of entrapment.

Thus when you find yourself in a desperate place, with no way out by your own capacity, then the possibility of immortality is right there at your fingertips. The answer is to surrender everything except in your deepest core: to watch awake and see the resolution manifest.

But it doesn't come of it's own accord. We have to make it happen - make it happen with a part of us that we had not realised existed. That is why it is impossible to speak of - but hints can be given.

All lesser goals and ambitions must be surrendered - when we find ourselves in that moment of entrapment, we have to stand and look at the world naked. No answers up our sleeve, no conceit, no presumption. This is the home of true magic.

Those in this position are like brilliant diamonds, and their light is piercing.

Jahn

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:00:31 AM »

Amazing story.

That is what I like most of all here. When there is word written down about the knowingness.
Of feelings that I had.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:10:06 PM »
The first two forces - the affirming and the denying.

Then the third force, which open to us like a door, and offers a way out of the dilemma.

This can be seen in many occasions in our life. We seek something, which becomes blocked. As we sit befuddled as to what to do, another resolving possibility appears. Then it begins again.

Always we are confronted with a desire of ours which is then thwarted. Lets say we have a vision of how we seek things to unfold, but something comes along and disrupts the whole scheme. We get the shits pretty bad, and some of us even notch up a grudge which we never forget. As we struggle with the impasse, and especially as we break away from the struggle without forgetting it, along comes a new thought, or vision, which releases our energy again.

The old plan has to be put aside, and the new plan taken up as better. Is it better? Maybe, but that is not the issue.

The issue is that we experienced a new resolving opening.

Like when Ellen wanted her children back, but the authorities put up all kinds of obstacles and the situation looked hopeless. Then along came the idea that her ex could get partial custody, which was not plan 1, but actually not bad and far better than the obstructive situation. A new impulse broke through the impasse.

The answer is to grab this new impulse, and run with it - it is the third force. We can't always be sure it is a good idea, but it is a way out of the current impasse, and as such opens up a whole new array of possibilities. The blood begins to flow again.

Life is the affirming force, and death is the denying force.

The third force is the possibility of another option.

As our life is about to be extinguished by death, an alternative option makes its appearance - the ability to sneak passed the Eagle.

By practising and understanding this third force, we prepare ourselves for the ultimate opening of an alternate option, right at the point of death.

But we have to practice it first, to have the speed to grab it when it opens.

The first requirement is to know how to drop the old plan, the previous vision of what we believed was happening. All our old attitudes and their attendant emotions - they drag us back form catching the new wave. Instead of hanging on to all our old hopes and hurts, we have to be adventurous enough to toss them out.

Clear out our life's score pad, and get ready for a new idea.

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:49:35 PM »
Clear out our life's score pad, and get ready for a new idea.

I like that! :) ;)  :-*
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 05:50:44 AM »
As our life is about to be extinguished by death, an alternative option makes its appearance - the ability to sneak passed the Eagle.

By practising and understanding this third force, we prepare ourselves for the ultimate opening of an alternate option, right at the point of death.

But we have to practice it first, to have the speed to grab it when it opens.

Yes, toss a monkey wrench in the system. :) I like you calling it the third force, it reminds me of the third attention.

One of the things I was thinking on Michael is that, still life and death are still the natural order of things. Its not easy to get that third force opening, esp for what we're trying to do, and everything we do is to get that opening. All of it. I wonder though, is it part of the natural order of things and opening comes, or we just force it to occur? You seem to be saying something other than necessarily force, even though its a third force, but that an option presents itself. How, does this present? Is it spirit, bestowing grace on us? Or just damn luck perhaps? This post really gets me sparking. I guess I may have to figure it out along the way.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Jahn

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 05:44:30 AM »

Yin and Yang makes two - duality.

Electron and Positron makes two - duality.

Electron, Positron and Neutron, makes three. That is what the Universe is built of.

Offline Josh

• Yogi
  • go flower yourself
    • Invisible Acropolis
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
"These four bodies are defined in different teachings in various ways." G. drew a
diagram, reproduced in Figure 1, and said:

"The first is the physical body, in Christian terminology the 'carnal' body; the second, in Christian terminology, is the 'natural' body; the third is the 'spiritual' body; and the fourth, in the terminology of esoteric Christianity, is the 'divine' body. In theosophical terminology the first is the 'physical' body, the second is the 'astral,' the third is the 'mental,' and the fourth the 'causal' - the body which bears the causes of its actions within itself, is independent of external causes, and is the body of will.

"In the terminology of certain Eastern teachings the first body is the 'carriage' (body), the second body is the 'horse' (feelings, desires), the third the 'driver' (mind), and the fourth the 'master' (I, consciousness, will).

"Such comparisons and parallels may be found in most systems and teachings which recognize something more in man than the physical body. But almost all these teachings, while repeating in a more or less familiar form the definitions and divisions of the ancient teaching, have forgotten or omitted its most important feature, which is: that man is not born with the finer bodies, and that they can only be artificially cultivated in him provided favorable conditions both internal and external are present.

"The 'astral body' is not an indispensable implement for man. It is a great luxury which only a few can afford. A man can live quite well without an 'astral body.' His physical body possesses all the functions necessary for life. A man without 'astral body' may even produce the impression of being a very intellectual or even spiritual man, and may deceive not only others but also himself.

"This applies still more, of course, to the 'mental body' and the fourth body. Ordinary man does not possess these bodies or their corresponding functions. But he often thinks, and makes others think, that he does. The reasons for this are, first, the fact that the physical body works with the same substances of which the higher bodies are composed, only these substances are not crystallized in him, do not belong to him; and secondly, it has all the functions analogous to those of the higher bodies, though of course they differ from them considerably. The chief difference between the functions of a man possessing the physical body only and the functions of the four bodies, is that, in the first case, the functions of the physical body govern all the other functions, in other words, everything is governed by the body which, in its turn, is governed by external influences. In the second case, the command or control emanates from the higher body.
Other is.  Self must struggle to exist.

- Brian George

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk