Author Topic: Dawn to Sunrise  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Dawn to Sunrise
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2010, 03:08:44 PM »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »
some real classics - esp that last one.

It has often queried my mind, is it possible to tell the difference between a dawn and evening photo?

While on the subject, you should know that there is a special time at dawn and at evening - I think it's called the glooming. It is about 15 minutes when the light transits from darkness to pale light, or visa-versa.

In military terms this is a critical time. Even Che Guevara in his book Guerrilla Warfare (which is worth reading - especially for anyone who uses the military paradigm as I do in my endeavours) stipulated this is the best time to attack.

So as standard procedure all combat zone troops 'stand to' at this time - everything stops, and everyone takes up battle ready positions in absolute silence. It lasts about 30 minutes in maximum, just before the glooming to just after.

In the field it means everyone has to be up in pitch dark, and then you settle into your dug-out hollow with rifle at the ready and wait in absolute stillness and silence - needless to say I used to love this ritual. It is strange how one gets accustomed to knowing the moment to get out of the sack and into position.

It is a beautiful time, that transit, and is the special time for sorcerers as well as artists. It is when we do our pujas, and use the darkness or light for specific purposes. Alas I realise I have forgotten to speak of this in the puja area, but it is absolutely critical to spiritual adventurers.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 04:51:46 AM »
That transit time is my favorite!
I've been wondering about that identifiability, of sunrise vs sunset, while I've been looking at all of these photos. There must be some knowledge or lore about it, but I haven't discerned it yet. The behavior of the birds must be a big clue...

Fascinating about the perfect attack-times: I never thought about it. But it makes sense. Certainly we're more vulnerable visually. My father had his fatal wreck at dusk, and I've visualized it many times, how something he would have normally "seen", he didn't, due to that time of day.

As for magical workings ... yes, a powerful time. The energies of day and night, blending. The pregnant, "almost" here moment. 
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »
In the morning the sun is bright yellow, while in the evening it's red.
The light at sunset has a warmer tone, golden-red. The morning light is more yellowish.
With a correctly exposed image taken at just at the break of dawn or at sunset, it would be easy to figure it out.

-----Sunset.

-----Dawn:

---
This image is way overexposed, it's impossible to tell.

This image is underexposed. It seems like sunset, but who knows?

---- This one is a a tough cookie. I would say it's a sunrise.

"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »
In the morning the sun is bright yellow, while in the evening it's red.

But I've seen red sunrises, many many times...

The light at sunset has a warmer tone, golden-red. The morning light is more yellowish.
With a correctly exposed image taken at just at the break of dawn or at sunset, it would be easy to figure it out.

All I can tell ya is that all of these were labeled "sunrise". But I do see how many of them could easily look like sunset. A bit of this is a leap of faith, in correct labeling by the photographers.

Of all the ones whose labelling seemed questionable, I'd vote for this one as a "hmmmm":

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:42:58 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
That's an interesting distinction Rudi - I can resonate with that in principle.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 08:40:45 AM »
As someone who worked the graveyard shifts for years, and who has spent time at the ocean from dusk to sunrise, I can promise you that there are red sunrises.

The trick, I think, is not in the color of the sun, but in the gradations above, higher in the sky. You can really observe this when you're flying. But I haven't gotten that science straight, in my mind, so I can't describe it yet. It has something to do with a phenomenon called "the terminator".  There's a lot to it, and within the whole saga is also something called "false dawn". The sky is a fascinating subject.

Meanwhile I assure you that I've been very careful to only post that which has been labeled "sunrise". If anything has been incorrectly posted, then the photographers lied.  I find that hard to believe, but perhaps it's so. I suppose, though, for the benefit of all, I should go through here and delete the "red sunrises". Just know that things aren't that simple.

I've picked what I've picked for the promise and excitement they have held for me. Many of the pictures in this thread are therapeutic and healing (for me), and I hoped to share that.

~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:40 AM »
There's no need to delete anything.

Actually, I see only now that I misread the title of this thread the whole time. For some reason I was thinking it was from "dawn to sunset".

I never saw a red sunrise personally, but I always lived inland, so I haven't seen much real sunrises or sunset like some in those photos.
In my experience, the evening light has a more red-ish tone then the morning light. Though I'm sure that it has something to do with me living in a city, where in the afternoon you have lots of dust and smog in the atmosphere which absorbs more of the blue spectrum.
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 09:48:46 AM »
I've picked what I've picked for the promise and excitement they have held for me.

I think this is what we should be looking for. What fascinates me is that the mood of sunrise is so different to the mood of sunset, and yet in a photo we often struggle to perceive that mood difference. I mean I accept the photographers are not lying - why should they?

Thus in some of those photos I could not say if the mood was fresh or tired, and I find that odd, because if you are in the location yourself the mood difference is overwhelmingly palpable, but a photo is not always good at capturing such an important feeling. I'd say this is a shortfall in what a photo is capable of - a movie would probably capture more.

But this feeling of 'promise' is really what we are seeking in a photo of sunrise, and assuming it is actually there, we are called to extend our sensitivities to feel it.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2010, 10:16:43 AM »
You all are quite right.

In order to get that 'feeling' from a photo, in the cases where there aren't sufficient cues, one must visualize and place one's self into the scene. And even then, I suppose, one could mistrust one's own experience.

I confess I take a lot of my cues from the birds.
In the photo Rudi pointed out, where the sky is mostly yellow (and over-exposed), a group of pelicans is flying through. They look to me like they are just getting started with their day. They don't look to be "flying home" in that smoothed-out resolve.  But, this could all be my own delusional take.

Likewise, in the very first picture in the thread, those 2 birds look to be sleepy, waking up, and waiting... I couldn't tell you how I come to that conclusion, though.

So there's a good bit of subjectivity involved in apprehending these photos... Or any photos. Or any art!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
If anyone is interested ...

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=sunrise&m=pool&w=50511799%40N00
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=sunrise&m=pool&w=50511799%40N00

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=sunrise&w=367355%40N22&m=pool
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=sunrise&w=367355%40N22&m=pool

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=sunrise&w=41434678%40N00&m=pool
http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=sunrise&w=41434678%40N00&m=pool

My favorite sunrise so far has been this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelbuddle/95454488/

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:36:42 PM by Nichi »
~Hsin Hsin Ming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk