Author Topic: The Pope  (Read 197 times)

Offline Angela

• Acharya
The Pope
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:24:41 AM »
I find it interesting, this world wide revolution against the Vatican. All I can say is, It's about time ...

Funny how humans basically 'make things up' to profit or 'control' the masses to get their 'most wanted response'. I mean we all do it every day, in small degrees when dealing with others to grandiose levels when dealing with the public, in our manipulation of others. Whether it's encouraging someone to buy something, or manipulating someone 'buy into'  our beliefs. The clearer the picture becomes ... the clearer the choice. The more we strip away, the more we see that all beliefs are just that ... it's all made up ... it seems so silly when you really See it, but understand that others really "believe" it ... I guess it's easier for me to comprehend, once being on the 'believing team' ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100404/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_pope#mwpphu-container
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: The Pope
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:40:06 AM »
It is surprising that this has taken so long to engage the vocal disapproval of the European community... Seems that the US has been complaining about the pedophilia and abuse for decades. I wonder how that works, in the society of popes, that the chickens come home to roost.

The last pope was much loved/respected - does the current one take the heat because his popularity is less, I wonder?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:42:39 AM by Nichi »
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:47:15 AM »
Did any of the popes ever apologize for participating in the genocide of indigenous peoples, I wonder? Or for the Inquisition?

They have a lot of unseemly karma.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 04:58:23 AM »
Did any of the popes ever apologize for participating in the genocide of indigenous peoples, I wonder? Or for the Inquisition?

They have a lot of unseemly karma.

I think the last pope did.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »
It is surprising that this has taken so long to engage the vocal disapproval of the European community... Seems that the US has been complaining about the pedophilia and abuse for decades. I wonder how that works, in the society of popes, that the chickens come home to roost.

The last pope was much loved/respected - does the current one take the heat because his popularity is less, I wonder?

I know ... I was surprised too. It's a positive step forward now that other countries are engaging ... and not just us whining americans .... ;)

I do think the sexual abuse was wide spread and not isolated cases. My brother was telling me how his friend was abused when they were kids. He absolutely hates the catholic church.

I don't think it's popularity ... my opinion is there are many idle hands, with so many out of work, and they are taking up causes to fill the time. And of course, the media loves it!
"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:37:57 AM »
Ang, I got to thinking about this, after I saw another "Tiger Woods" item listed in the "Top News of the Day", along with your comment about the idle hands.  Not that the Pope doesn't deserve scrutiny or that the pedophilia doesn't need to be confronted, but I wonder if it's all one big distraction from ___?____.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:37:23 AM »
Oh poor Popey, why can't they leave the old man alone.
A case of Pope abuse.  ;)

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
 :D
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »
Oh poor Popey, why can't they leave the old man alone.
A case of Pope abuse.  ;)

You're funny!

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »
I don't know why anyone gives two figs about the Pope - and I was brought up Catholic.

It is one of the aspects of religion that I have little time for.

You may or may not be aware that there is a huge debate across the globe about the role of religion, including the religion-state separation issue, and the delusional accusations of religious people by some in the science community.

At lunch on Sunday I was discussing this with an Irish friend who is a Sociologist. I quite enjoy religion, and we recently had an issue with a man, Adeel Khan - from Pakistan, who is the course coordinator of the Studies in Religion course that Julie does some lectures and marking in - he is very antagonistic to religion, and accuses them of wars and violence etc.

My Irish friend said that for Julie and me, religion is a life-style choice. For him and Adeel, religion is an oppressive reality that they have escaped from.

So there are two religions - the inner core of interpersonal aspiration, and an outer framework of priesthood domination of society. Rarely does anyone separate these two parts, and predominantly it is the priesthood tyranny they mostly associate with religious culture.

Nonetheless, religion is growing at an exponential rate across the globe - especially Islam in China.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
I don't know why anyone gives two figs about the Pope - and I was brought up Catholic.

It is one of the aspects of religion that I have little time for.

You may or may not be aware that there is a huge debate across the globe about the role of religion, including the religion-state separation issue, and the delusional accusations of religious people by some in the science community.

At lunch on Sunday I was discussing this with an Irish friend who is a Sociologist. I quite enjoy religion, and we recently had an issue with a man, Adeel Khan - from Pakistan, who is the course coordinator of the Studies in Religion course that Julie does some lectures and marking in - he is very antagonistic to religion, and accuses them of wars and violence etc.

My Irish friend said that for Julie and me, religion is a life-style choice. For him and Adeel, religion is an oppressive reality that they have escaped from.

So there are two religions - the inner core of interpersonal aspiration, and an outer framework of priesthood domination of society. Rarely does anyone separate these two parts, and predominantly it is the priesthood tyranny they mostly associate with religious culture.

Nonetheless, religion is growing at an exponential rate across the globe - especially Islam in China.

So, being raised catholic, you understand the 'oppressive reality' and need to escape?

Do you really think, or feel though, that you "follow" a prescribed religion ... or that it's just a 'life-style choice'?  I guess it's all in the interpretation, or definition of 'religion', but to me, All religions have cultish, controlling characteristics.

One thing the Catholics have is quite an arsenal of money. And we all know what that means. An article I read said that the catholic church has paid millions in lawsuits over these sexual abuse scandals.

I know one church here gets over $40,000.00 each week when the basket is passed around, and it's not even the wealthiest parish. There are about 10 parishes in this diocese.

I heard the Catholics are becoming popular in Africa too. One of the priests here is from Africa ... he's a very sweet man.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »
So, being raised catholic, you understand the 'oppressive reality' and need to escape?

Do you really think, or feel though, that you "follow" a prescribed religion ... or that it's just a 'life-style choice'?  I guess it's all in the interpretation, or definition of 'religion', but to me, All religions have cultish, controlling characteristics.

I was raised a Catholic, but I came along just after the more fanatical aspects had significantly declined at the schools I attended, and my parents were causal Catholics, so I never felt oppressed by the Catholic church. I just thought is was silly.

Not sure what prescribed means there, but no, I don't 'follow' any religion (except my own - and I don't mean I follow my own nose). I travel through them and hang around the ones I like while avoiding the bits that are tacky.

But I don't see much difference between religious cultures and any other type of culture - every profession, country and strata of society I have passed through and observed all have the same prescriptive thought and behavioural pressures.

I see religion as simply another form of social group - human beings always seek to define themselves in group identities, and thus become antagonistic to another group identity, as well as to their own members who deviate from the conforming parameters. It's in the nature of humanity.

Religion however has an extra element - it seeks a transcendent goal. Not all of course, and many have that as a very minimal element. It is hard to see popular Judaism, Christianity and Islam as having much transcendence - they are very focused on the mundane world. Popular Taoism is focused on the mundane world via the ancestors. All of these have very good social and community qualities, but I'm personally not interested in that.

People who wear their group identity like a straight jacket, are just indulging in narrow-mindedness, be they religious or doctors or professors or nationalists or whatever. That's just part of the landscape of life.

Religion gives people meaning and a landscape beyond the physical, but unfortunately it often comes at a cost which is for me too onerous. While offering a profound freedom on one hand, they steal it away with the other.

By life-style I suppose I would agree - I adopt many emotional, physical and mental religious items because I enjoy them, and those I choose have given me great gifts of insight and pleasure. But as I said - I am only a traveller.

I told the Joey's the other day, that I'm a nominal Hindu - they never asked what I mean by that.

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »
I am only a traveller.

I like that ... a nomad ... no permanence required. Seems to keep 'the path' refreshing and enjoyable.

Offline Tony

• Sanyassi
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:04 PM »
- I am only a traveler.
[/color
sounds good, going through a marketplace checking out the different fruit.
I find religious people generally don't live their religion. So it doesn't seem to work. I also don't agree with the idea that somebody outside me has the roadmap to "dog"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk