Author Topic: Oolong tea  (Read 331 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
Oolong tea
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »
Yes I admit it, I am addicted to Oolong tea.

I have given up beer. All I long for now is a series of cups of fine Oolong.
I drink it through the day - I even have Oolong tea-bags for work situations when I can't brew up a special pot. And I drink at night - often getting to four or five cups before bed. I've trained my bladder to hold out through the night - mostly.

But let me start at the beginning.

There are six basic types of tea:
1. White tea
2. Green tea
3. Yellow tea
4. Oolong tea
5. Black tea
6. Pu-er tea

Tea all comes from the Camellia plant. The difference is essentially in the processing, although for each type of tea centuries have found certain strains of Camellia, or certain areas, mountains, even sides of mountains lend extra special qualities to each type. In China, the words that are used across the globe originated - Te and Cha. From different dialects.

The basic process is fermentation. If the leaves are left out in the air after picking, natural substances in the leaf initiate fermentation. Fermentation causes oxidation. Once the leaves are heated, fermentation stops.

Green tea is not fermented at all, thus it has a sweet grassy flavour. Black tea is the most fermented/oxidised. Oolong sits half way in oxidation, although there are big differences in types of Oolong.

Flush: this means the crop. The first crop - first flush - is the new young leaves picked in early Spring. Second flush is the second pick in late spring. Third flush, or Autumnal flush, is picked in Autumn. The first flush has the most delicate flavour, and the later flushes have a deeper stronger liqueur.

White tea is the finest - it is picked from leaves that are grown in shade - never having seen direct sunlight - and always the first flush.

Only Black tea is drunk with milk. Actually Black tea is a bit of a misnomer, as what we call Black tea in the West is what the Chinese call Red tea.

Oolong tea is the oldest and the most famous of the high quality teas. It has some of the complex flavours that oxidation brings, while still being a light mellow flavour. Oolong tea remains the most common favourite of tea connoisseurs. There is basically old style Oolong and Taiwanese Oolong. The Taiwanese discovered that by reducing the oxidation process by around half, they could produce a lighter highly aromatic tea, which became very popular about a century ago across China and the tea drinking world. Old style Oolong has a deeper liqueur and richer back-of-pallet after-taste.

Health: this is still somewhat controversial, as empirical tests are not entirely conclusive. What they do indicate is that all tea is basically healthy because it has so many good elements in it. It also increases metabolic rate by about 4%, so can help weight loss. But the main claim is that it has a lot of anti-oxidants. All tea has these, but White tea has the most - next Green, then Oolong. The difference between these is not significant. Pu-er is renowned for its health benefits, but I am not sure why. It can be extremely expensive for the best quality.

To experience Oolong fully, you need certain preparation techniques.

Most important is a single-cup pot (unless you have a house of Oolong lovers) with an infusion insert. This means that the tea is placed in the infuser - usually a cone of stainless steal netting that sits into the pot from the top. The idea is that once the tea is poured, the leaves remain out of the water. You would typically pour all or sufficient tea out to ensure the leaves are free above the water level. Because the leaves do not sit in the water, they do not exude any tannin flavours.

High quality Oolong can be infused up to ten times, but five or six is more common. Each infusion shouldn't be for more than three minutes. The first infusion has the airiest flavour, but the third infusion is generally considered the best.

Warm the pot first, and do not pour boiling water in. There is a different heat preference for each type of tea, but generally about 90 degrees where 100 = boiling. In practice you allow the water to just come off boiling before pouring into the pot. The Chinese have names for the different stages of boiling - like 'fish-eyes', which describes the small bubbles that begin to rise.

There are many famous types of Oolong. The most common everyday Oolong is quite cheap. $2-3 per 200 grams. It isn't too bad, and will give you the typical flavour idea of Oolong.

High quality Oolong is really a different animal altogether, and has the most wonderful complex flavours. You can pay thousands for the best quality, but in general, around $30 for a 100 grams is normal for fine quality. Remember, that one teaspoon will last you all afternoon, so per cup it doesn't come out that expensive.

A Li Shan is a famous Taiwanese Oolong, which should be available at Chinese grocery stores. It is a very good tea.

However I have discovered an online tea dealer, who sends me their tea, vacuum packed, from China's biggest Tea Trade Centre in Beijing itself.

http://www.tianhe.com.au/store/

Click on the Oolong tea link on the side menu.

I have just received a package of:
Premium An Xi Tie Guan Yin, and
Premium Lishan Oolong Tea.

I can recommend both - absolutely beautiful teas!

I have tried numerous cheaper teas, but these good quality ones are truly sublime.

Oolong is the meditator's friend.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
Re: Oolong tea
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:17 AM »
You're so cute Michael, talking about your tea  :-* :-*
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Muffin

• Pir
  • Keep the beast in my nature under ceaseless attack
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
I went to the page of the Premium Lishan Oolong Tea and in the "Customers who bought this product also purchased..." section there was the Premium An Xi Tie Guan Yin.
I think they are talking about you Michael. :)

Very good timing of this post, as I also picked up the tea drinking habit lately. I think I'll try these out.
"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »
Oddly enough, last night the man who runs this online store emailed me to ensure I had received the tea. he also said he had spent some time in Armidale - my town - about nine years ago, and mentioned who he had stayed with.

So happens I know those people very well, and the wife is one of my best clients at the Uni - only spoke with her yesterday morning (she lives in another town now and visits on occasion). She also helped Julie yesterday morning with this man she has been having a lot of trouble with at the Uni.

So it was a strange coincidence. He wants me to comment on the teas I bought, which I may. So far I feel the Premium An Xi Tie Guan Yin is the best for a pallet that is not used to Chinese flavours. The other is also great, but has a more unusual flavour.

The Guan Yin is of course the famous bodhisattva, and there is a story of how this tea originated. It translates as Iron Goddess, and is one of the Ten Famous Chinese Teas - Wikipedia has a dedicated entry on these teas.

Yes I saw the same thing Rudi - and though exactly as you.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:00:21 AM »
Now I can't tell which I like best - the Guan Yin has such an aromatic aroma, and the Lishan's flavour gets better the more I drink it.

Oolong drinking is not like other drinks. With normal tea and coffee, one tends to stop for a cuppa. Get the caffeine hit, then go back to work. Green and Oolong teas don't go that way. They are accompaniment drinks. With subtle flavours, and clear texture, one tends to sip them while at work. Meaning they are not suited for manual workers.

Indian tea has more caffeine than Chinese teas, and Oolong has less than Green tea. Oolong is infused many times and most of the caffeine is in the first infusion, so multiple cups of Oolong is not the same as the same number of Indian tea cups.

Oolong is more than a drink. It is a whole attitude to life. Milk tea and coffee seem gross after Oolong. Oolong is a refined sensitivity to the subtleties of the world. It is a fine vibration, and encourages you to slow down, and enjoy the small secret things of life.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »
Last time I mixed up a batch of Chai tea I used some loose leaf Oolong in the blend instead of regular black tea in a tea bag (like red rose etc).  It was delish!

Jahn

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:16:22 AM »
Now I can't tell which I like best - the Guan Yin has such an aromatic aroma, and the Lishan's flavour gets better the more I drink it.

Oolong drinking is not like other drinks. With normal tea and coffee, one tends to stop for a cuppa. Get the caffeine hit, then go back to work. Green and Oolong teas don't go that way. They are accompaniment drinks. With subtle flavours, and clear texture, one tends to sip them while at work. Meaning they are not suited for manual workers.

Indian tea has more caffeine than Chinese teas, and Oolong has less than Green tea. Oolong is infused many times and most of the caffeine is in the first infusion, so multiple cups of Oolong is not the same as the same number of Indian tea cups.

Oolong is more than a drink. It is a whole attitude to life. Milk tea and coffee seem gross after Oolong. Oolong is a refined sensitivity to the subtleties of the world. It is a fine vibration, and encourages you to slow down, and enjoy the small secret things of life.

Really nice to hear a connoisseur talking about real tea, my world of tea has been reduced to Lipton’s tea bags N:o 1 for far too much long. In my teens I was an expert and we had a tea shop in this town that was famous for its teas all over the country. The shop is still there but I haven’t visited it for over ten years.
But I still got my tea canisters left … it is perhaps time to fill them with some real good tea.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 02:54:29 PM »
I have since expanded my experience and range in this area. I purchase all from this same online shop, and their quality is to die for.

One tea I have really gone for is Chrysanthemum. This is famous as a health tea in China, for many centuries. At local Chinese supermarkets you usually only get freeze-dried Chrysanthemum tea with lots of sugar (horrible), or low quality flowers, which aren't too bad actually - gives you the idea anyway. At my online Chinese tea dealer, I get high quality Chrysanthemum which is quite cheap, because you use so little for each brew, and many cups per brew. It is absolutely delicious!

Another tea, of which I have long heard, that I now procure from my dealer, is called Pu'er. This is also famous as a healthy tea, and can be extremely expensive. The ones they sell at my dealer weren't too costly - I tried the mixed box. It makes a deep red soup of a tea, which is very pleasant. Many many infusions are possible from the one pot. Supposed to lower cholesterol - which appears to be working in my case.

Ginseng Oolong: now this is a most interesting tea, has a tasty flavour that leaves you wanting more. But also give a subtle pick-up over and above the Oolong tea's affect. I find this exceptionally good for meditation. Always now have two or three cups before a good night of meditation.

Big Red Robe: a classic Oolong. Wonderful classic flavour - have decided to keep some on hand for whenever guests arrive.

Huang Jin Gui: got this one in the last delivery, and am sold on it. has a beautiful clean flavour similar to Ali Shan. Can recommend it!

Taiwan Black Gold Oolong: Wow! what a flavour. Like it has cocoa in it. A dark brew and amazing looking tea granules, but such an unusual flavour - don't use too much tea, it put out a lot of infusion.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »
I have since expanded my experience and range in this area. I purchase all from this same online shop, and their quality is to die for.

One tea I have really gone for is Chrysanthemum. This is famous as a health tea in China, for many centuries. At local Chinese supermarkets you usually only get freeze-dried Chrysanthemum tea with lots of sugar (horrible), or low quality flowers, which aren't too bad actually - gives you the idea anyway. At my online Chinese tea dealer, I get high quality Chrysanthemum which is quite cheap, because you use so little for each brew, and many cups per brew. It is absolutely delicious!

MM sounds delicious!  I make my own chrysanthemum tea and chrysanthemum tea with other herbal blends.   I just love it.  Chrysanthemums are very good for dreaming!  Good colour, too.

Jahn

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 03:48:25 AM »

I am still a barbarian in this Tea business I suppose, though I have some merits from my early period in the 1970's to fall back upon.

As it is now, the repertoir is: India Black Assam, and India Black Assam Curl that I have at home. Both types are very black tea that require both milk and raw sugar, especially the curled version. Though Inga-Lill do not use either milk or sugar, but loves them both as they are.

And then we got some China Yunnan, always at hand.

Offline Muffin

• Pir
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
I tried some teas from a local shop and I was a bit underwhelmed. They didn't really have much assortment
Today I received my package from this shop, and boy, what a difference.

I just finished 3 cups of Lishan tea and I cannot wait to be thirsty again  :D

My package had:
Ali Shan Oolong Tea
Premium Lishan Oolong Tea
Premium Huang Jin Gui (Yellow Oolong tea)
Premium Ginseng Oolong

I brewed one cup of Huang Jin Gui at my job today, but the conditions were not the best and it didn't turn out good. Still the falvor was great, and I just can't get enough of the smell of the dried leaves.
Since practice is everything and tea tends to grown on you the more you drink it, I look forward to the long cold winter months to spend some quality time with these teas and discover their subtle flavors.

Pictured below: long cold winter months  :D

"The result of the manifestation is in exact proportion to the force of striving received from the shock." -Gurdjieff, Belzebub's Tales to his grandson

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
If you immediately like the aroma-flavour of Lishan, then you're away. It really has a pronounced 'Chinese' quality. The Ali Shan is not quite as aromatic.

I recently offered cups of Oolong tea to some friends, but I think they thought it was a bit weird. Not sure I will bother again.

Personally, I just love it. As soon as I smell it I go all a-quiver. It has been easy to give up gross drinks like alcohol (except of course Armagnac, if I can ever find it or enough money).

The brewing is critical - too long and it tastes tannic.

Offline Muffin

• Pir
    • Sensorium Dei
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
The Pearl, by Brian Eno & Harold Budd - it is becoming somewhat a ritual for me to fix up a cup of tea, put on this album and ... do nothing.

<span data-s9e-mediaembed="youtube" style="display:inline-block;width:100%;max-width:640px"><span style="display:block;overflow:hidden;position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" scrolling="no" style="background:url(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EpKgIcEfVwY/hqdefault.jpg) 50% 50% / cover;border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EpKgIcEfVwY"></iframe></span></span><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpKgIcEfVwY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EpKgIcEfVwY</a>

www.sensoriumdei.org

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »
That sounds delightful Rudi

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »
I've developed a bit of an afternoon Oolong ritual, as well.  A tenant at the home where I work,  John, brews a pot of Oolong each afternoon and shares it with our staff.    Tomorrow we open a new bag of Shuǐ Xiān.  I am looking forward to it. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk