Author Topic: Open Season  (Read 290 times)

Ke-ke wan

Open Season
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »
Now that I have moved back to BC, I am in a different area than before and seem to be smack dab in the middle of big game sport hunter heaven!  I am vehemently opposed to sport hunting, for obvious reasons, but do approve of shooting meat to feed my family especially if it is instead of buying from a grocery store and buying into the whole commercial meat production game. 

Quesnel, being surrounded by many different forestry units makes it the center piece for big game hunting.
Quesnel Lake is a maze of water courses, small and large lakes--criss crossed with roads and all accessible for road hunters. Absolutely gorgeous mountainous tree filled ranges!  The fall colours on the tress make any sort of expedition outdoors a delight for all of the senses! The Nazko road west from Quesnel on Hwy 97 provides access to roads where there are many Moose!. Grizzly in there too!  White tail and mule deer, grouse, wolves, foxes coyotes, bears, eagles ravens, owls, the list goes on and on.  So many beautiful creatures out here to enjoy, most of which are open at one time or another to sport hunting!

My brother, like most of my family is big on hunting, fishing and trapping.  Sometimes it is done out of necessity to feed the family, but mostly, these days is done for the love of the sport.  I, myself find it extremely hard to believe that people can take pleasure in a sport that is entirely centred around killing other creatures.  Makes no sense to me and I do my best not to take part in the sport of it.

When I go fishing with my brother, we rarely catch a thing.  I think I send out vibes -- stay away fish, we don't want to kill you!  Still I do go along for the family experience, the chance for my kids to bond with their elders etc.

Today we went on a drive to the country backroads in search of a Moose or a buck for my brother to shoot.  Hunting season opened yesterday.  Always, ever since I was young, I've had a keen eye for spotting game.  My dad always called me "eagle eye" and would take me along on expeditions purely as a spotter.  Today was no different and my brother remembered my keen hunting eye and fully intended to use it.  At first I didn't pay any attention.  "Look at the cute little deer!"  my excitement was too much to contain and I exclaimed aloud! Luckily these deer were babies, far too small to shoot.  I took that as a reminder and attempted to keep my mouth shut when I next spotted some game.

At one point during our expedition today, I came face-to-face with a gorgeous buck.  I had made up my mind not to tell my brother if I spotted anything, as he had his gun ready to load and fire in an instant.  So I kept silent, as I met the deer's gaze.  We drove closer and closer and eventually my brother spotted him, too.  At this point the deer walked a bit closer to us instead of running away.  Now we were eye to eye and I was half fixed on hoping my brother wasn't going to shoot this gorgeous creature and half on willing it not to happen. The deer and I remained connected via eye contact for quite some time, his gorgeous dark brown eyes locked with mine as I told him to please run away so we didn't have to shoot him. He stayed for long enough for me to snap a few photos and then slowly turned away.

I believe we had a moment of unspoken communication and that the deer completely understood what I was saying.  As he slowly turned and hopped away into the trees, disappearing into a nearby filed of grass, I rolled up my window, relieved and my brother drove away. 

We didn't shoot anything this time, I was relieved, but at some point, I am sure we will and my children will have their first experience of seeing an animal die right before their eyes.  Of watching the life bleed out of it and seeing the spark in its eyes fade to blackness.  Of gutting, skinning and taking the animal home where it will be hung to dry and later packaged up and stored in the freezer.   Not today, did this happen, but it will and I am not ready,

So now, I try to find a balance between the sport hunting and trapping that is so prevalent here and my own sense of inner guidance and love for the creatures with which we share our earth.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:25:50 PM by shine »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
Re: Open Season
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »

I believe we had a moment of unspoken communication and that the deer completely understood what I was saying.  As he slowly turned and hopped away into the trees, disappearing into a nearby filed of grass, I rolled up my window, relieved and my brother drove away. 

What a moment in time! Glad he understood your meaning and moved on!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
(He is a beauty!)
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »
Personally, I feel anyone who buys meat from a shop and eats it, should be willing to kill that animal themselves. And the only way one can know about that is to do it. I know the Tibetan Buddhists don't agree with this principle, but it has been important for me, as a task of awareness and responsibility - to know the full implications of being a meat eater.

Importantly, life is all about killing and being killed. The sooner one fronts up to this reality the better.

But to kill without any conscience about the significance of this act, is just as bad as liking meat but not wanting to own its death.

And then, I always think it's funny how we believe the life in a vegetable is less worthy than the life in an animal.

Builder

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:22:52 PM »
Personally, I feel anyone who buys meat from a shop and eats it, should be willing to kill that animal themselves. And the only way one can know about that is to do it. I know the Tibetan Buddhists don't agree with this principle

That's strange, isn't it? None of them is vegetarian - they do not have enough veggies there. They prefer to eat big animals - one life feeds more, but they do not want to get involved in killing. As if not killing their food changes anything.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:35:54 PM »
It's a cultural and a karmic thing for them - culturally it is low status to be a butcher (traditionally done by the Muslims), and it is bad karma to eat meat but much worse to kill it. Not an argument I buy myself.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 04:04:46 AM »

And then, I always think it's funny how we believe the life in a vegetable is less worthy than the life in an animal.
Well in all fairness Michael a vege isnt sentient so its a much different thing. I do eat meat but Ive never killed game or anything like that. I couldnt do it. I dont see a problem with eating meat but I do have a problem with hunting for the 'sport' of it. But if people use the meat and eat the animal I have less problem with this. Mainly its a respect issue learning to respect life and what it gives us. Learning to respect the animals who keep us alive, too.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 05:07:21 AM »
I dont see a problem with eating meat but I do have a problem with hunting for the 'sport' of it. But if people use the meat and eat the animal I have less problem with this. Mainly its a respect issue learning to respect life and what it gives us. Learning to respect the animals who keep us alive, too.

Certainly if one is going to eat meat, it is preferable to hunt and kill it as opposed to buying it from the grocery store.  (Another topic here is the unethical treatment of animals in factories and farms from which we get our meat). What I take issue with, though is the sport of it and the almost total lack of respect for another life.  It is treated as a game here where the animals life is a trophy... lots of testosterone and woofing involved and that part makes me sad.

I do agree that killing something or watching it be killed is an invaluable life lesson.   Good for all kids (or adults to see).  I certainly remember my first experience watching my father hunt rabbits and when the fluffy bunnies didn't die after the first couple of shots, my dad stepped on their heads and their little bodies flopped around as they expired.  Even after closing my eyes to the sight, the sounds of their lives leaving were unforgettable.   I also clearly remember subsequent hunting experiences with my ex husband.  Definitely gave me a perspective and respect for life that I may not have gotten otherwise.   Turn, turn, turn...

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:23:33 AM »
Well in all fairness Michael a vege isnt sentient

Isn't it? Not able to perceive or feel things?
That's news to me.

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
Isn't it? Not able to perceive or feel things?
That's news to me.

I know they have a life force, their own set of chi, but they aren't sentient. They do not have blood running through their veins, a heart to pump blood, a brain. It doesn't 'hurt' a plant or vegetable to eat it. If anything the plant or vegetable welcomes it. Animals however, it is different. They are sentient and they do feel.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »
. It doesn't 'hurt' a plant or vegetable to eat it. If anything the plant or vegetable welcomes it. Animals however, it is different. They are sentient and they do feel.

What about trees?  They feel and hurt.   How is a plant different than a tree?

Builder

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 02:58:21 PM »
I know they have a life force, their own set of chi, but they aren't sentient. They do not have blood running through their veins, a heart to pump blood, a brain. It doesn't 'hurt' a plant or vegetable to eat it. If anything the plant or vegetable welcomes it. Animals however, it is different. They are sentient and they do feel.

Plants actually do recgonise a person who has hurt them. They have a very clear and measurable electromagnetic reaction when the person who has hurt them approaches them. There was an article in some serious scientific journal where the experiment was described.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 03:17:24 PM »

I accept this is a commonly held view, but as Juhani points out, it is even now being challenged by science. It has been however well known by shamans for a very long time that all life is sentient - ie it has an inner being. The reasons shamans know this, is because they have travelled into the soul or other living things.

But that is not the point I was making. The question is whether one form of life is of more or less value than another, whatever the difference?

We commonly feel that life forms that are more like us are of more value than those which are very different, that is because we are trapped in our form.

Before you question the value of another life form, I recommend you spend a long time meditating/gazing on that life form.

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 04:18:37 PM »
BLESS THE ANIMALS OUR RELATIVES

Does anyone realize
Anymore
That the word animals
Comes from word anima
Meaning soul,
The prime animating force...
Animation...
The life force...
Leaping and jumping,
So alive.

For years
Some have insisted
Animals have no souls.

This cannot be right...
Otherwise animals would
Be named the non-anima
Instead of dear anima-ls.

We can no longer
enjoin debates, rather,
we would spend that time
soul on soul, for we see
Humans have souls.
Animals have souls.
... and we ought mention
also trees and butterflies
and mountains and
starry night sky...
anything that causes us
the goodness of awe,
has a soul...
anything, anyone
who causes other souls
to pour love & tenderness.

A Soul knows a Soul
when it sees one.

Period. The End. Return.

(ENORMOUS affirmative chorus
of bleating, woofing, cawing, mewing,
meowing, mooing, squeaking, huffing,
stomping, singing, winging, roaring
in the background...

and that is just the humans...

thence comes in on second bar
the ENORMOUS affirmative chorus
of calling, talking, murmuring,  laughing,
cheering, yodeling, nattering, chattering,
humming, drumming harumphing, thrumming
of the anima-ls...

so much so,
and in such cacophonous harmony
one can hardly any longer tell
which song belongs to which soul.

Just right.)

Poem: "Bless The Animals Our Relatives," from La Pasionaria, The Bright Angel, Collected Poems of Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés 

Ke-ke wan

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
These are hunting photos of some of my relatives and friends:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk