Psychic and Healer.
Light

Author Topic: Listening and the importance  (Read 8122 times)

Offline Definitive Journey

• Tributary
    • Las Vegas Massage Therapist Kris Kelley
Re: Listening and the importance
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
~

Another good topic, listening.

Let's put another spin on this:  How well do we 'listen' when on the discussion boards? 

K
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

breeze

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »
Some points I think worth re-visiting. 

So when you are listening to somebody, completely, attentively, then you are listening not only to the words, but also to the feeling of what is being conveyed, to the whole of it, not part of it. --Jiddu Krishnamurti

Be receptive

If you show up with an agenda, you are not going to be available to fully hear what the other person is saying. There is no problem with having goals for an interaction, but let them go while the other person is speaking so you can hear what is being expressed. Balance your need for a given outcome with your desire to sustain a harmonious relationship.

Check your understanding
[/u]
Make sure you can repeat what you just heard, and if you can't, ask for clarification. You might be surprised at how much you are missing. Most people are. When you think you've gotten it, you might say, “So what you are saying is....” to verify your understanding.

Be patient

As much as you may be tempted, don't speak over someone who is talking. When you feel the urge to step in, take a breath, let your agenda go, and continue to listen. If you need to move the conversation along, do so politely, as in, “Excuse me, I'm so sorry for interrupting, but ….” Likewise, be careful not to jump to conclusions or assume you know what hasn't yet been said. These are all signs that your inner explorer has fallen asleep. Revitalize your experience by paying attention to what is happening in the moment.

Effective listening develops empathy, which is the capacity for a deep understanding of another's experience. And isn't that what it takes for a relationship to thrive? It's as simple as paying attention.

http://www.dailygood.org/more.php?n=3872#

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 06:29:20 AM »
I have mixed feeling about 'listening'.

Obviously not listening in a conversation is ridiculous, despite how often it occurs. So let's dispense with that extreme, except to say always check that is what you are doing.

There is a Toltec code that the task in a conversation is to listen - give full attention to listening and understanding the other person.

But I find this boring when people do it to me. I have friends who listen and focus on what I am saying completely, asking questions for further details etc. I find it creepy, as at the end all that has happened is that I have offered something and they have offered nothing. Not the kind of person I trust with the info I am speaking - I tend to feel they have nothing going on inside and are only interested in being entertained for awhile.

What I personally prefer in a conversation is like a tennis match - the ball is passed back and forth, each person adding further vitality, insight or impetus to the thread of conversation. I enjoy the bouncing of an idea back and forth with creative and unexpected twists. This happens very rarely.

However sometimes in a conversation someone will tell me something personal, and after they have given their first phase, it sparks something similar in my experience, so following the tennis principle I then offer my story of similar kind - showing I am alright to speak to about such matters and that I understand the complexities and dilemmas of such situations.

But then the other person goes quiet, and I get the feeling they didn't want a tennis conversation, they just wanted to let out some built up emotional energy, and it would have been better if I had drawn them out further. Another part of me isn't happy playing councillor with others. People get themselves tied up in such emotional knots, that I enjoy sitting back some distance and looking humorously or with wonder at the bizarre nature of life. Others I sense are not so keen on that - they want to draw me down into their quagmire, and when I don't offer them the stage completely, they stuff their problem back under their jumper.

Nonetheless, one of the best techniques to use is to say, "What you are saying is .... [demonstrating you listened], however/and I have another side to tell on this."

breeze

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »
Either that, or to live in a cave... I think that would be preferable.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Tributary
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »
I have mixed feeling about 'listening'.

Obviously not listening in a conversation is ridiculous, despite how often it occurs. So let's dispense with that extreme, except to say always check that is what you are doing.

There is a Toltec code that the task in a conversation is to listen - give full attention to listening and understanding the other person.

But I find this boring when people do it to me. I have friends who listen and focus on what I am saying completely, asking questions for further details etc. I find it creepy, as at the end all that has happened is that I have offered something and they have offered nothing. Not the kind of person I trust with the info I am speaking - I tend to feel they have nothing going on inside and are only interested in being entertained for awhile.

What I personally prefer in a conversation is like a tennis match - the ball is passed back and forth, each person adding further vitality, insight or impetus to the thread of conversation. I enjoy the bouncing of an idea back and forth with creative and unexpected twists. This happens very rarely.

However sometimes in a conversation someone will tell me something personal, and after they have given their first phase, it sparks something similar in my experience, so following the tennis principle I then offer my story of similar kind - showing I am alright to speak to about such matters and that I understand the complexities and dilemmas of such situations.

But then the other person goes quiet, and I get the feeling they didn't want a tennis conversation, they just wanted to let out some built up emotional energy, and it would have been better if I had drawn them out further. Another part of me isn't happy playing councillor with others. People get themselves tied up in such emotional knots, that I enjoy sitting back some distance and looking humorously or with wonder at the bizarre nature of life. Others I sense are not so keen on that - they want to draw me down into their quagmire, and when I don't offer them the stage completely, they stuff their problem back under their jumper.

Nonetheless, one of the best techniques to use is to say, "What you are saying is .... [demonstrating you listened], however/and I have another side to tell on this."

Rhetorical questions - not seeking "additional info or details" from you ...

What is the difference between conversation and communication?
And then, what is the difference between communication and communion?
Why do we speak at all? And does everything we communicate come in the form of speech?

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
Why do we speak at all?

I tend to see it like why do we read books - for enjoyment or for information.
On very rare occasions we speak for information, otherwise it purely enjoyment. And it's a mistake to mistake one for the other.

But the better question is why does a biku speak?

And does everything we communicate come in the form of speech?

Rhetorically speaking, no.

breeze

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
What about listening vs listening?  Like seeing vs seeing. 

• Tributary
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
~

M:
"There is a Toltec code that the task in a conversation is to listen - give full attention to listening and understanding the other person.

But I find this boring when people do it to me. I have friends who listen and focus on what I am saying completely, asking questions for further details etc. I find it creepy, as at the end all that has happened is that I have offered something and they have offered nothing. Not the kind of person I trust with the info I am speaking - I tend to feel they have nothing going on inside and are only interested in being entertained for awhile".

My question:  Have you done this to others? 

I see this method you mention above in a slightly different light...As in when I'm speaking or conversing or communicating with someone much better versed in something than I am.  An example would be a conversation with Dr. Kenny on a medical malady that's I'm having trouble with.  I know little on it, he knows much more; thus, at the current level of my knowledge and awareness it is going to be a bit of a lop-sided conversation, almost a lecture. 

As to your last line, the 'straw dogs' who are seeking entertainment...is this bad to entertain them?  Perhaps it's a bit of an opportunity for both parties to work on the conversational skills, not just communicating skills.  This may be labeled, 'Stalking.'

M:
"What I personally prefer in a conversation is like a tennis match - the ball is passed back and forth, each person adding further vitality, insight or impetus to the thread of conversation. I enjoy the bouncing of an idea back and forth with creative and unexpected twists. This happens very rarely.”

Really?  I’ve found this occurs [conversations like a tennis match] when a couple traits come in to play.  First, finding an open minded audience, and second, which is much more difficult, is being open to this style of conversation ourselves.  We obviously only have control over ourselves, so if we ‘guide’ the conversation, a little give and take, such as giving the one who wants to ‘lecture’ their due, then, propose open ended questions and answers, the ‘tennis match’ conversation can occur.  Personally, I’ve found this much less complex in person, verbal communication, than on discussion boards.  Especially on discussion boards that anything to do with Religion, Spirituality, etc., etc.  As to your final line below, very, very few want to ‘give the other their due,’ first, then propose an alternative perspective.  I cannot recall the last time I saw a reply such as, “Yes, I see your point, what do you think about this?”   

M:
“However sometimes in a conversation someone will tell me something personal, and after they have given their first phase, it sparks something similar in my experience, so following the tennis principle I then offer my story of similar kind - showing I am alright to speak to about such matters and that I understand the complexities and dilemmas of such situations.

But then the other person goes quiet, and I get the feeling they didn't want a tennis conversation, they just wanted to let out some built up emotional energy, and it would have been better if I had drawn them out further.”

Agreed.  As with the comments above and as you know, many factors can go into this.  What’s the relationship we have with the individual we’re communicating with?  What’s our role within that relationship?  Where do we draw the line in the ‘drawing out’ of another or ourselves?  Etc., etc….

M: 
“Another part of me isn't happy playing councilor with others. People get themselves tied up in such emotional knots, that I enjoy sitting back some distance and looking humorously or with wonder at the bizarre nature of life. Others I sense are not so keen on that - they want to draw me down into their quagmire, and when I don't offer them the stage completely, they stuff their problem back under their jumper.”

Sure, yet that above sounds like judgment to me, which is Ok, as long as we’re aware of it and accept it as such.  As Lori told me, “It’s easy to sit back and judge…”  Also as mentioned above, many questions can arise from this:  Who am I and what is my role in this conversation?  What’s the point?  Where is this leading us?  Why are we even having this conversation?  How are we going about it? 

The tricky part I’ve found is to quickly answer all or most of these questions the moment the conversation begins, or, if we know we have a pre-determined meeting as such, prepare our state of mind for the conversation.  Raise our level of awareness to quickly see who or what issue we’re dealing with, (hence getting to the REAL issue) then address appropriately based on all the questions and answers we received, above. 

I think ‘getting to the real issue’ of the conversation is important.  Most tend to run off on a wild goose chase, on some minor detail that tickles their fancy, and forget about the issue at hand.  This responsibility, imho, is on both parties of the conversation. 

M:
“Nonetheless, one of the best techniques to use is to say, "What you are saying is .... [Demonstrating you listened], however/and I have another side to tell on this."”

Agreed.  This is where I was going with my initial reply to this thread; more importantly, how well can we do this on discussion boards with the written word? 

What I’m truly getting at, is that are we taking the time to figure out the intent of those we converse or communicate with?  Are they just looking for a reaction?  Are they looking for further information?  Are they looking for a debate or a conversation?  Do we ourselves, or another person, even versed or understand the topic at hand?  Are we looking to ‘school’ or lecture them on the topic?  How are we replying to them?  What are we looking to invoke in them with our reply? 

K
"Discipline is, indeed, the supreme joy of feeling reverent awe; of watching, with your mouth open, whatever is behind those secret doors."

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • High Plateau
  • Fibre to the Soul!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
All valid points Kris - I don't have any problems there. There are numerous factors to any conversation

What about listening vs listening?  Like seeing vs seeing. 

Taking this point, it is obvious, to us anyway, that we should be sensing constantly what is happening beneath the conversation. Feeling into the others involved - most do this but not consciously.

When I say the tennis method happens rarely for me, I mean there are very few people I know who are able to follow a thread creatively. Many can follow the ball for a short time, but typically it either winds down into mundanity, gets redirected to hobby-horse areas, or shuts down abruptly with the other people looking blankly at me in bewilderment.

With the few I know with whom the process kicks along lively, it is obvious they have a good supply of not only active thought resources, but are able to find unexpected and delightful associations which escalate the thread enjoyably. You never know where you might end up. This is because their double has open gateways in the throat and mind.

Another judgemental response I have, is when some boring twat tries to corner me in a conversation, and after a few short moments, I realise I have no interest in listening to them whatsoever. If I can't escape, I just take over and give them an exposure to a series of wild ideas. If I have to coexist with dumballs then at least I should be allowed to have some fun. This often happens at those parties which I periodically attend because it's healthy to maintain an active social world. Unfortunately I tire quickly from such masturbatory experiences and end up going to the van for a sleep.

Actually Julie and I are famous for our conversations - we often find it hard to pull others out of their timidity and superficiality at dinner parties. We have one good selection, of a friend and another couple. Oh boy! what great evenings we have when we restrict it to the five of us. The conversation bubbles along like a fast train through all kinds of terrain, with emotionality and intelligence. That's a rare evening, but highly memorable.

Ultimately though, what I miss most are those who can quickly plum to the most serious and critical issues of life - why we  came here and why we came here. These are the internal dialogues I pursue mostly myself, but rarely find anyone else remotely interested.

breeze

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
If I can't escape, I just take over and give them an exposure to a series of wild ideas.

Yes, this is a good one.

• Tributary
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
Ultimately though, what I miss most are those who can quickly plum to the most serious and critical issues of life - why we  came here and why we came here. These are the internal dialogues I pursue mostly myself, but rarely find anyone else remotely interested.

Let us plum!  Let us plum!

Kris

• Tributary
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
~

I evoke a response.

Takes what it takes at times....

Stop being a priss and come and play.  Ellen is in 'classic mode' and it's worth the show.

K

I will respond to you here, because this is my Forum just as much as it is yours.  You can swear at me, call me names and insult me till you are blue in the face Kris it doesn't change what you are.

It doesn't change a thing. 

breeze

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
~

Another good topic, listening.

Let's put another spin on this:  How well do we 'listen' when on the discussion boards? 

K

Also, since you seem a bit confused about this, check page one of this thread.  Ellen and I were speaking and who jumped in?  Oh yeah, that was you. (not the other way around like you seem to think.)  Not that there is anything wrong with joining a discussion already in progress, as some may suggest. 

So to go along with listening, also very important is seeing, with your eyes and good remembering.  You know, all those things we teach to toddlers, still important as an adult.  Perhaps even more so.  Yes, I think even more!

Offline Endless~Knot

• Storm
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »
Yes Kris you listen when you want to but you have selective hearing. Don't feel bad, we all do. When people are boring we tune them out. We don't pay attention.

I am selective when I'm bored. I tune out. I never tune out my boyfriend however cause he's interesting haha.

One thing about forums you have to read. I find if I get bored my eyes begin to glaze over, I begin skimming posts, and I scroll a lot. I do this quite a bit lol. Especially long posts on martial arts (Haha Kris). I love a good read that has some meat to it. I laughed out loud when I read Michaels post on listening and he found it creepy when people listen to him. That was cute.  :D
“Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own.” - Bruce Lee

breeze

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »

One thing about forums you have to read. I find if I get bored my eyes begin to glaze over, I begin skimming posts, and I scroll a lot. I do this quite a bit lol. Especially long posts on martial arts (Haha Kris). I love a good read that has some meat to it. I laughed out loud when I read Michaels post on listening and he found it creepy when people listen to him. That was cute.  :D

Yeah, I do that, too.  But sometimes I also feel like I've read it all a thousand times before, ya know?