Author Topic: The Householder's Journeys  (Read 355 times)

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
The Householder's Journeys
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
Short on money, bogged down with things to do, but oh so tired of not traveling.

Was talking to a friend some time ago. Told him how I always feel rejuvinated by traveling. Even moving, cleaning out a house I have dwelled in for some time is quite possibly one of my favorite things to do. I love watching it get progressively emptier. I'll sit or stand where I can get a nice perspective, take a moment to remember how it was, how it felt then, how it feels, and looks now. The physical exercise is uplifting, as well as the sense that I have conquered these objects! The process of getting rid of things that just sat around for sssoooo long.

My friend, whom is twice my age. Stated my love of moving and travel would change as I get older. My inner child rebels when old people tell me how I will be when I am their age. Fact is, I would be highly surprised if my love of travel ever died down. No matter how old I am, as it is so integral to my view. I have never, been a citizen of a particular place, and I'll be damned if I ever am!

Still hearing him say that also triggered a twinge of fear. As I have gotten older, I have been surprised by the changes. I imagined that as people get older, being more sedentary they submit to inertia. Well, you know what the physicist says about inertia!

In this thread I will post my adventures. Many will be mini out of necessity. Many will be partaken alone, but also with daughter, wife, and friends. Of course others who come along will be left behind if I encounter something...I guess you could say something serious. Otherwise it will be an exercise in being in touch with the spirit though among people. Some journeys may be completely spontaneous, others prepared for.

Rules for self: at least one adventure a month, unless extreme extenuating circumstances prevent it.

At some point in the journey I must have abandoned the normal route to fallow the spirit as best I could.

The whole point of the journey must be to shake things loose, and learn to fallow the spirit.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:06:53 AM by Nick »
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
Re: The Householder's Journeys
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
Journey 1, tonight...

Next one the fourth of July. No fireworks for me.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:50:00 AM by Nick »
"As long as we confuse the myriad forms of the divine lila with reality, without perceiving the unity of Brahman underlying all these forms, we are under the spell of maya..."
 -Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Rishi
    • Michael's Music Page
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:53:52 PM »
Even moving, cleaning out a house I have dwelled in for some time is quite possibly one of my favorite things to do. I love watching it get progressively emptier. I'll sit or stand where I can get a nice perspective, take a moment to remember how it was, how it felt then, how it feels, and looks now.

My friend, whom is twice my age. Stated my love of moving and travel would change as I get older.

That process of getting to know a place, then leaving, is something I am constantly fascinated at while travelling. This last trip we did, we stayed in places for two to five weeks. What always amazes me is how on arrival it is all new and awkward, but by the third day a threshold is passed and the place becomes familiar. On leaving I do the same thing as you - stand in the emptying room seeing it all disappear before my eyes, then finally looking at it completely empty. I always do the idiot test to look for things forgotten, and while doing this I look at the emotional world that was in that place. Finally I draw my eyes away toward the next unknown place.

You friend reminds me of that song Father and Son by Cat Stevens. The realisation that comes from travel is vital, because we forget we are all passing through. My constant striving is to activate the travelling mind in my home place. This is a big subject, which I want to devote a whole chapter to in my next book.

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
Looking forward to hearing of your adventures, Nick. Thanks for being so productive!
Not here, not there, but everywhere - always right before your eyes.
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
Went to a nearby wooded area that I had yet to explore. Went at 10:30pm, almost completely dark. Took my glasses off, and listened, smelled, and wandered where ever my intuition and impulses took me.

Near the beginning I felt drawn to this one tree. I sat facing it, and placed my left hand on it. There was sorrow from wanting a deeper connection. There was more, but I'll move on...

Then I wander, and listen, and I find another spot I want to be. I look up at the leaves moving. I have felt this way before, as if the trees were communicating with me, but it felt different this time. I tried to hone in on that feeling. When I did I felt a connection another energy sensation, lighter, more...refined if you will. I also saw the color blue, and then felt something that reminded me of the ocean.

I wandered some more...well nothing to eventful, except I got slightly lost. Instead of exiting the woods where I came in I had to sneak though someone's back yard. Got home safely, and as far as I know no one saw me dart out of the woods. Would have been a scary sight or a funny one, either of which could have resulted in a call to the cops. Have to be more careful next time.

Trying to meditate after words, while dead tired. I attempted to meditate in the shower. Also did this meditating where plug the tub so it fills from the shower, and I attempt to mediate while holding my breath underwater. Don't usually stay up that late. Very difficult to silence my mind. Strange I kept seeing what looked like a praying mantis...or an ant... While i was under water esp., and felt in touch with an insect like energy. I also kept seeing holes in wood or dirt.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:15:12 AM by Nick »

Offline Firestarter

• Ellen
  • Rishi
  • Love You ALL To The Moon and Back...
    • SIR
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Its like the spirit of the tree opened a door in some way. I once came upon a grand tree. The way the wind was blowing, it was making a whistling sound with its leaves. The trunk was quite large, and I felt this tree was completely alive, with spirit. Not just alive, but 'a living being.' It was quite massive and impresive. I took my kids to the tree and we touched it, sat under it and the like. Its the most amazing tree ive ever seen, and Ive been in the redwood forest. This tree was in Arizona.
"A warrior doesn't seek anything for his solace, nor can he possibly leave anything to chance. A warrior actually affects the outcome of events by the force of his awareness and his unbending intent." - don Juan

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 02:31:06 AM »
Its like the spirit of the tree opened a door in some way. I once came upon a grand tree. The way the wind was blowing, it was making a whistling sound with its leaves. The trunk was quite large, and I felt this tree was completely alive, with spirit. Not just alive, but 'a living being.' It was quite massive and impresive. I took my kids to the tree and we touched it, sat under it and the like. Its the most amazing tree ive ever seen, and Ive been in the redwood forest. This tree was in Arizona.

Trees are amazing creatures. I feel a very strong attraction to everything of the natural world, but especially trees. Sometimes being around them can trigger all kinds of feelings, sometimes of a theraputic healing kind, sometimes of a higher energy kind. The previous journey was both.

I very much want to visit the really big ones!

Jahn

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »

Every tree can tell you a story, Though trees do no belong to the same wave length as our fibers of luminous beings, trees can enrich us, and we can enrich them.

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
July 4th into
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:51:38 PM »
If I immerse myself in the attitude that I am having a life affirming experience, then whatever happens will be seen as life affirming. On a more or less spontaneous adventure whatever happens can easily be viewed in a positive light. I have no, or at least less expectations. When I plan things the initial purpose of open minded wide eyed adventure frames everything else. In either case I am living my personal mythos, my sacred spiritual journey, and tuning the faculties that allow me to be in touch with the spirit. Hunting power is also spiritual communion. 

An acceptance of the moment, an immersion in that moment, places me in the right frame of mind to say; if I am going to get wet I might as well go for a swim. 

Perhaps you loose a shoe at a rock concert when you try out the mosh pit, why not take the other shoe, through it away, and go bare foot the rest of the night? Perhaps your wallet is stolen; view it as a horrible violation of your person? Notice how you feel a part of yourself is missing, maybe you feel naked? Do you know how to have fun without it? Instead take a deep breath, feel that breath, realize it as wealth. 

This is why I love adventure, it feels like shedding skin. Opening to the vast expanse of what might be! 

Committed fully to whatever happens I shift my view to open myself to experiencing more. 
Let go, be in the moment, wide eyed, awake, and ready to step beyond the event horizon of I.

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
July 4th - All In
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »
Jen and I were going to the Indian God Rock. A 6 foot limestone rock with native American petroglyphs carved on the large nearly flat surface facing the river. No one really knows what the petroglyphs signify, some believe it was used for shamanic purposes, because of similar markings found elsewhere. The name Indian God rock is somewhat arbitrary since no one really knows for sure what it was for. The rock is located along the Allegheny river in Pennsylvania. 

We drove twice as far as intended, because we missed some turns. We found the trail that should lead to the Indian God Rock. We didn't know for sure when we started how far we were from our desired destination, only that we had to be further than intended. Perhaps we wouldn't have time to get there from this distance, or perhaps we misunderstood the directions all together, and it was on the other side of the Allegheny river. We asked others, and no one knew anything about it. This wasn't encouraging, as far as achieving the goal. It did make it more interesting, to not be sure of what we might achieve. There was a sign with a map, the rock wasn't listed, Jen intuited we should walk in a particular direction, I then recognized a name on the map, as a town near the rock. This town was in the direction Jen wanted to go. So we began.

Jen had never done this much walking, or hiking. I was questioning whether we would be able to finish our trip before dark, but I was determined. I had also warned Jen ahead of time, that if she came we might be doing a very long walk, and short of pouring rain, it would take a lot for me to give up. I also warned her I might venture out into the woods from time to time, to meditate. With us arriving later than intended, and likely far off course, I only stopped to meditate a couple of times for short periods. With her coming along I figured it would be a good opportunity to see what she's made of. 

About half way to the town we recognized on the map, I ask another person, and he said yes, he had heard of it. He confirmed it was near that town. I meditated in the woods as I found a very pleasing spot. Then we continued on with renewed vigor. 

At 7 miles Jen was reaching her physical limitations, but she agreed to push forward. We took a small break, and continued. We reached the rock shortly after. She didn't complain at all the whole way, to the rock. Though it was really long, and she only moderately enjoyed the physical activity, she did enjoy the realization that she had achieve something difficult she had never done before. Perhaps didn't even know she could do.

Shortly after the 8 mile marker we arrived. The entire back and sides of the rock had carvings of people who had come over the years. Earliest was 1880's, latest was 2010's. This didn't matter to me, it wasn't what I came for, and I expected there to be some of this kind of thing. Yet there was a lot. It's quite sad. Sure we don't know for sure what this spot was for, but for all you know you've defaced something that was sacred ground. It would be one thing to allow it to be weathered away, nothing is permanent. In ignorance they arrogantly overshadow with ego what could have been sacred.

On many of the pictures of this rock, I saw stones in the front that could be walked on to get to front, and see the petroglyphs. Unfortunately on this day the river was too high. I tried standing on a rock next to it, and peering over the side, this didn't work. I emptied my pockets of wallet, keys, and phone. I decided I might try to hand on to the rocks, and pull my self around to the front, perhaps from there I could see something. Jen thought I was crazy, but was half inspired to go in, and get wet too. I went out on a stone that was under the water. One foot on it, when I went to place my other, I slipped. In the water I went, completely submerged. Heart pounding, I grab hold of a rock, and pull myself up. I sit on the rock I had tried standing on, and I gaze out at the water regaining my composure. Now very alert, and also very comfortable with the feeling of the water all around me. Suddenly I realize, I can't see clearly, crap I forgot to take my glasses off! Jen and I look around, but can not see them in the water.

Oh, well, these things happen, next time, will try harder to not forget anything. 

I climb out, and sit on top of a rock that had a little grove that was just right for a seat, and I meditated there.

Well, it's time to head back. I would have stayed longer, but this was Jen's first time fully participating in one of my crazy adventures, and she had already pushed her limits quite a bit. It was getting late, and now there was a good chance part of our walk back was going to be in darkness. Something I wasn't apposed to, and even looked forward to despite now being a bit cold, the cold was invigorating. I wasn't sure how Jen would handle the walk back. So off we went. 

About half way back the sore muscles Jen already had we're getting to be to much for her emotionally. She was in quite a bit of pain in just about every major part of her body. The sun was also setting, which did seem to bother her a bit. I said some reassuring things, and we took a break. I messaged her legs a bit, just a gentle message. She stretched a bit more, and we began again. 

2 thirds of the way she was crying off and on, but also swearing, and often that swearing was in a tone of voice that reminded me of a muppet. Combined with the some of the things she was saying, I couldn't help but crack up laughing. I looked over to see if my laughter bothered her, and to my surprise it didn't, I think it even helped a bit. Occasionally she laughed to, but not much. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:03:17 PM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
July 4th conclusion
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
Part of the reason she was crying is she thought she was holding me back....
Sure the walk would have been faster without her. Sure I'd likely have stayed meditating until night fall, or till the cold was to much to bare, if it was just me. I also could have told her I wanted to do this one alone. We have an agreement, married, but not joined at the hip. I wanted her to come, I wanted to see what it was like to have her along for the journey. Life is an adventure after all, and I've already choose her for that journey. Then there is the more fundamental question, holding me back from what? The destination is rarely if ever one hundred percent certain, so though I aim for a mark, I maintain a dual perception of my mark, and the moment. The moment is the  point of balance I swivel upon when I need to readjust my aim. Top it off with having more than one aim, that is that part of the aim was simply to be there, with her, doing something challenging, and out of the ordinary for the two of us. 

She was overheating and would take my hand, and use it to cool her face off.

She impressed me, she finished the 16 miles, and she was able, if nothing else to see it as a bonding experience. 

Her body is also recovering relatively fast, and she has agreed to do a little hiking every week, while the weather is still good. With the goal of gradually improving. She no longer feels she was holding me back. She wants to hike, because she read a book about a man who hiked the Appalachian trail, and she was inspired.

I'll do what I can to help her get there.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:05:16 PM by Nick »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
(Nick, I've never asked -- do you live in Pennsylvania?)

This 16 mile hike sounds like it was quite an accomplishment, for both of you. Kudos!
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
Yes, in PA. You?

It was a physical accomplishment for Jen. I have walked more when I was semi-voluntarily homeless. Though I admit I have begun to develop arthritis because of digestive problems, so my left knee wasn't to happy near the end. It also recovered quickly though. The walk was low impact enough, I believe that is why my knee recovered easier than when I have jogged to much.

The biggest physical accomplishment for me, was though I had a healthy breakfast 4 hours before, and once or twice munched on a veggie or two during a short break along the way, and of course we drank ample water, it was almost a fast from physical food. I have rarely been able to successfully fast. Now I think I know what to do. Next morning I felt light, and energized.

The big accomplishment for me, was actually being able to not identify with Jen's pain, and still maintain my adventurous spirit when not alone. I find this very difficult when living with someone.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:28:54 PM by Nick »

Offline Nichi

• Global Moderator
  • Rishi
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
Yes, in PA. You?

Virginia (southeast)
~Hsin Hsin Ming

Offline Nick

• Rishi
  • Life Branches.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk