Author Topic: Water  (Read 291 times)

nichi

Re: Water
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 06:05:37 AM »
Hunh... I wonder what your sapsucker-y birds are...
I love to hear all the chattering, though.

Jahn

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 06:35:56 AM »
Hey, I want onna them feathers, Yo !  Ha.  t

They should have arrived now T2f, together with some new ones.

??

Offline Jennifer-

• Rishi
  • Let us dance of freedom~
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »
Twas a fine showing indeed, and it made my week!

Thank-you, spirit!

Yes!
Without constant complete silence meditation - samadi - we lose ourselves in the game.  MM

nichi

Birds of Delight and Other Spring Frolicking
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 07:25:04 AM »
I don't know who enjoys taking a dip in the birdbaths more: robins or blue jays. Both of them linger a long time, and whip themselves into these ecstatic frenzies of bathing, shaking, and shimmey-ing. Water splashing high out of the baths. Again and again and again. I don't know if one could look in the Audubon's Birds of North America Encyclopedia (one of my treasured, few possessions) and even find an article on bird ecstasy, much less on how to spot it. It's something you just know when you see it.

I just watched a pair of blue jays fly from bath to bath to bath, sampling all of them with great zeal, following each other, and looking positively silly with their water-logged crests, bending downward from the cherry-tree branch to take a look into the back porch, where the kitchen window is. (I think they sensed someone watching.)  Occasionally their exclamations can be heard ... "Heya! Heya!" Exuberance, plain and simple!

Meanwhile, there is a family of squirrels (Mom and 3 youngsters) chasing each other, and rolling and tumbling together, doing somersaults, making astounding leaps up onto the oak tree from the ground --- having a ball!

A thrasher is doing excavation around one of the baths, throwing leaves high up into the air behind him, as a towhee watches him from one of the branches ... as a mockingbird watches the towhee watching...

Spring is very nearly here and spirits are high! 

nichi

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »
And then .. as if to punctuate the post above, my roommate comes back here and says, "There's some kind of bird convention in the back." I return to the kitchen window, to see something I've never seen in this area before (though surely it has existed ... I just haven't had the pleasure.)

A flock of red-winged blackbirds! Usually, they mix in with the torrential flocks of grackles, cowbirds, and starlings -- I've never seen such a gathering of just red-wings. Spring is definitely here! Their call is the signature of spring here in wetland Mid-Atlantia.  Red-Winged Blackbird Call

Here's one puffing up as he sings his song:

Offline Angela

• Acharya
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »
Red-Winged Blackbird Call

I went to this site and opened five different windows, each with a different bird.  I have a whole forest full of birds singing in my office... ;D

"If you stop seeing the world in terms of what you like and dislike, and saw things for what they truly are, in themselves, you would have a great deal more peace in your life..."

nichi

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
 :-*  Yeah, that's a great site! I began to make a post with the sounds-of-the-backyard, but they didn't feature all of them... Still, they had quite a few! That's fun that you had 5 windows going!

Blue Jay
(Towards the end of the various calls, you hear BJ's imitation of hawk, which he uses when he wants the other birds to clear the feeding area. Tricky guy, he!)

Chickadee
You can't be unhappy when there are chickadees around: it's not allowed.

Northern Cardinal

American Robin
Haunting at 3am...

Mourning Dove

Northern Mockingbird
If you have one, you will be graced with birdsong, that much is certain, for these guys love to sing. They are up with the robins at 3am...

Red-Winged Blackbird

Eastern Towhee

Offline tommy2

• Pir
  • An opportunity to achieve a great end.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »
Far out!  Thank you, Vickie.  Makes the winter seem shorter or something.  :)  :)
t2f

nichi

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »
 :D Yes, T2!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk